The online racing simulator
Abs?
(81 posts, started )
When ABS is enabled is it better to enable the "Brake help" or not?

How do ABS interact with "Brake help"?
Brake help is made completely obsolete by ABS (it's like an extremely primitive version of ABS), but I'm not sure if it's automatically disabled if the car has ABS activated.

You can easily test this by enabling both ABS and brake help and making a setup with strong brakes. Then brake hard at 100% and steer into one direction. If the red brake indicator bar in the lower right corner stays at 100%, brake help is disabled or at least has no influence / doesn't engage.
#78 - Jakg
Brake Help is a single channel version of ABS.
Hmm, not exactly. It works similar as in always affecting all wheels, but it's not the same.
Quote from AndroidXP :Brake help is made completely obsolete by ABS (it's like an extremely primitive version of ABS), but I'm not sure if it's automatically disabled if the car has ABS activated.

You can easily test this by enabling both ABS and brake help and making a setup with strong brakes. Then brake hard at 100% and steer into one direction. If the red brake indicator bar in the lower right corner stays at 100%, brake help is disabled or at least has no influence / doesn't engage.

I used a drag setup for the XRG which causes the ABS to enable each time I apply the brakes.

Well the brake indicator stays at 100%, so I guess even brake help is enabled it does not take any effect when ABS is also turned on!
Quote from Mikkomattic :I know that the behaviour I described in my big post was essentially correct, but the physical explanation might be lacking or wrong. I want to know the exact truth more specifically, so here's the question. Try to answer as briefly and layman-ish as possible (so that I might pass it along to non physics majors)

What causes the wheels to be harder to lock up the faster you are going?

Due to the higher energies involved at higher speeds the brakes can't generate the required deceleration in the wheel to cause the tyres to loose grip. Any brake system has a maximum amount of frictional force it can produce. At higher speeds this means the brakes just don't produce enough force to slow the wheel down quickly enough to cause the wheel to lock.

It's as simple as that in laymans terms.

Abs?
(81 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG