The online racing simulator
Shift light using the keyboard indicator LED's
Hi,
just had an idea: why not use the (usually 3) LED's nearly every keyboard has to show the optimal shift point? While I am racing, I put my keyboard left to my steering wheel and I could easily see the LEDs.
Once upon a time I had a plugin for Winamp that made the three LEDs blink in sync with the music played. Quite cool

Don't forget to make it possible to customize this function:
  • which LEDs to be used
  • the order the LEDs will be lit (there are keyboards where the LEDs are arranged vertically, e.g. MS Natural KB)
  • maybe the RPMs, or % of max RPM before the Diodes light up
I've always asked myself why this was never used before in games or applications...

Scawen: If you will implement this, I will have to mod my keyboard (now there are 3 blue LEDs soldered in) so that it looks like this:
[o] [o] [o]
Num Caps Scroll

What do the racing folks think about this idea?
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
It would be a lot cooler if you could have the leds on your DFP light up in this manner... But I don't think that would be possible, but ey, what do I know?
Yeah, wouldnt be difficult as an OutGauge mod at all.

I think the problem is that its very kinda specific. As for doing it on a DFP, in theory its possible. You just have to know what message to send to the DFB to make it happen. Which is the tricky bit, and would require some clever debugging fu.
Quote :It would be a lot cooler if you could have the leds on your DFP light up in this manner

Interesting idea, after some hours of fooling around with the HID interface I came up with this:

http://junk.kegetys.net/momo-valot.avi (Crap quality video but you get the idea)

I suppose it should be possible with the DFP too, though I dont know if it uses the same format messages to set the LED states... (I dont know if the one I'm using with the Momo are correct either but they seem to work, dunno if it has some side effects though )
#5 - Jakg
nice work kegetys! would you mind telling me how you did that?
I know nothing about this kind of stuff, so if anyone would make something like this for the dfp, I'll use it. Can't believe nobody had this idea (or at least posted about it).
Quote from Kegetys :Interesting idea, after some hours of fooling around with the HID interface I came up with this:

http://junk.kegetys.net/momo-valot.avi (Crap quality video but you get the idea)

I suppose it should be possible with the DFP too, though I dont know if it uses the same format messages to set the LED states... (I dont know if the one I'm using with the Momo are correct either but they seem to work, dunno if it has some side effects though )

:static:
Mind telling me what exactly it does? :P
Quote from TagForce ::static:
Mind telling me what exactly it does? :P

It looks like the left LED on the wheel is the shift light, and the right LED is traction control. Would prefer the right one to be a blinking pit limiter one to be honest, but oh well
wow!!
Kegetys, make this mod! PLS PLS PLS No stop limiters, no traction - just 2 LED at once for RPMs. We had red LED in LFS, but you can move this LED into reality!
Very nice work, I love the video! Anyways, did you all forget the stuff with the keyboard-LEDs?
To be honest... I don't recall ever seeing any LEDs on a keyboard =/
My keyboard has 4 leds
Mine has none, but my mouse has 3
Quote from overdoped :Very nice work, I love the video! Anyways, did you all forget the stuff with the keyboard-LEDs?

My keyboard LEDs are about as half as bright as the ones on my wheel. And having the LEDs light up on the keyboard would be useless to most people since it is out of view for most of us. Besides, everyone has a different keyboard, and such a mod wouldn't work for everyone I think.
I just tryed that App, good Idea, I will be tweaking that

Maybe an idea would be a GUI config editor?
Quote from overdoped :Hi,
just had an idea: why not use the (usually 3) LED's nearly every keyboard has to show the optimal shift point? While I am racing, I put my keyboard left to my steering wheel and I could easily see the LEDs.
Once upon a time I had a plugin for Winamp that made the three LEDs blink in sync with the music played. Quite cool

Don't forget to make it possible to customize this function:
  • which LEDs to be used
  • the order the LEDs will be lit (there are keyboards where the LEDs are arranged vertically, e.g. MS Natural KB)
  • maybe the RPMs, or % of max RPM before the Diodes light up
I've always asked myself why this was never used before in games or applications...

Scawen: If you will implement this, I will have to mod my keyboard (now there are 3 blue LEDs soldered in) so that it looks like this:
[o] [o] [o]
Num Caps Scroll

What do the racing folks think about this idea?

I am loving this idea!!!
And now?
*push*

Is there really nobody out there able to code this OutSim program? Would really be nice to see, if anyone could do this!
If you want it so bad, then go ahead and code it. If you can't code, you can't continue argueing and yelling to the community to code it for you when you are obviously the only one who wants it. It's obvious to me that no one wants some LED lights to flash and blink over on the side of their desk somewhere or underneath their desk and wheel on the keyboard tray where they won't see them.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG