The online racing simulator
Where to find quality racing?
(25 posts, started )
I recently came back to LFS, and I'm getting really tired of trying to get quality racing in public servers. Most people online are either clueless or are just there to make sure no one gets in any real racing. I can run pretty consistent mid to high 33's on most days (XFG @ BWGP), so I would think that's fast enough to be able to do something competitively. My question is what is the next logical step to find decent racing? I don't know anything about leagues or how to get involved with them, but I would assume that would be the way to go. As it stands right now I just cycle through the few public servers that are always up and hope to find an idiot free server with a few good drivers. Thanks for any info provided.
The LR server is good. you just have to get through the idiots at the back. Once you get a good time in and start from the top 10 you have fantastic racing
#4 - troy
We run weekly public LX racing on Thursday evenings, usually about 10-15 people and pretty much all of them are very nice guys racing clean and fair, of course we get the occasional guy attracted by a crowded server who crashes and leaves but you should always find somebody on the same level as you and get some nice battle going. Since we're starting 18.30 UTC I would guess it isn't the best time for you, if you're looking into road car racing there is (sadly) not much choice in the public sector right now, LR Race Center and the RR TBO Server are pretty much the only crowded road car servers that come in my mind. (sorry if I forgot anyone)

If you're after leagues check out the league and event section, I'm sure you'll find something that generates your interest.
Thanks for the info so far. One other thing I'd like to know is what are the most common cars/tracks to know? I played the XFG/BW combo because that's what the demo was, and that combo seemed to have the most servers up when I first got the game. Considering how long it takes to learn a new car/track, are most of the top competitive guys good in many different combos, or do people generally pick a car and try to master it with the exclusion of everything else? Additionally, is rally more popular than road racing competitively?
If you feel confident with a certain car then try to find a league that runs your favoured drive. It does help to know a lot of tracks but that will come over time & with experience.

There is one word that gets used a lot in LFS & that is practice, practice & practice. Most leagues will have a calender so you will have plenty of time to familiarize yourself with new tracks before race day.
#7 - 5haz
Personally I think the LFS online community is a bit barren at the moment, lots of empty servers and a couple of overcrowded servers full of people who have yet to master the art of driving straights without crashing. But hopefully things will pick up with the arrival of the next big update.

Don't let that stop you from going online and seeking great racing, but you will more often than not be left frustrated.
I always believe that we should try to learn anything in the sport. No one can call him/herself a "XFG@BL1 racer". If you're a racer, you race. No matter which car/track you're faced with, you race.

Focusing on a combo may help people to polish up their skills. But when they think they're skilled, they should try other combos and learn more.

About "rally": Do you mean "rallycross" ? If so, of course not. Most servers feature tarmac tracks, not mixed surface.

BTW, "LR|Race Center 1" is great ! Don't know much about Center 2 (GT-Rs) but will go there we I get enough points.
#9 - Aid
quality racing on public servers is nearly not existing... only way to go is to join leagues i think
Quote from SchneeFee :try this: http://www.iracing.com/

Nope, same old Lap 1 incidents, same divebombing into the turns and you still get used as a brake - I haven't seen any cleaner racing over there, the only difference is that after one of those accidents you'll have to wait at least an hour to race again...
Quote from bbman :Nope, same old Lap 1 incidents, same divebombing into the turns and you still get used as a brake - I haven't seen any cleaner racing over there, the only difference is that after one of those accidents you'll have to wait at least an hour to race again...

Isn´t it like that in any race game/sim? Only the thing that you have to wait for an hour seems to be an iRacing exclusive.
Quote from bbman :Nope, same old Lap 1 incidents, same divebombing into the turns and you still get used as a brake - I haven't seen any cleaner racing over there, the only difference is that after one of those accidents you'll have to wait at least an hour to race again...

And you will ahve paid a lot more money for that enjoyment.
Quote from anttt69 :just have a little look here http://www.lfsforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22
so many good leagues to choose from & as much quality racing as you can handle.

well, I dont have time to race regularly, I can only drop in occasionally, so I also miss decent server for couple of races with no league or points systems. Although I race in LFS for couple of years on most tracks I can go 2-3 seconds behind WR and I miss kind of PB selection there that ppl could find servers with proper challenge (which in result will diminish number of racers there... maybe thats not that good idea)

In Rookie and D Licence Level Yes. Thats where everyone has to get through. In higher Classes (C, B, A) T1 are cleaner than IRL.
After the ctra debacle, i dont think I have the patience required to work thru the LR system.

Some good racing on the Dead Men Racing server (when its populated). The track/car combo changes each week and theres an hour race on a Thursday evening. Good clientele, clean races and range of abilities. Check it out
Quote from SchneeFee :In Rookie and D Licence Level Yes. Thats where everyone has to get through. In higher Classes (C, B, A) T1 are cleaner than IRL.

Right, that's why in only 3 of my last 10 races (NOT Rookie or D) have I NOT been collected by some hothead in T1... And no, SOF was OK as well before you bring that as your next argument...

Sorry, but that's not my experience.
To me it looks the average driver is more cautious with the surrounding cars. Its another mentality, generaly speaking.

Sure there are sometimes occurrences of bad driving, but a lot less than in LFS. The reason is LFS is cheap and iRacing is not. This alone keeps away the kids with less serious racing in mind.

But ofcourse one has to judge for himself if the value for money is good to invest in such an expensive sim

Btw, I'm talking about public racing, not organized league racing... so, on topic: Highside!, try to find a good league with cars you like
Quote from HVS5b :After the ctra debacle, i dont think I have the patience required to work thru the LR system.

Some good racing on the Dead Men Racing server (when its populated). The track/car combo changes each week and theres an hour race on a Thursday evening. Good clientele, clean races and range of abilities. Check it out

The LR system is really not easy to get through. There are some TBO drivers who can´t drive them at all. I´d like to race on the LR|Race Center 2 with the GT2s but even if I get enough points to be allowed to race there, noone is actually on that server. I wonder how they all got up to that rank.I haven´t yet raced on the DMR server, but I think they got some canalboat racing at FE3 currently and their server only has 18 spots.
Quote from Deutschland2007 :I haven´t yet raced on the DMR server, but I think they got some canalboat racing at FE3 currently and their server only has 18 spots.

Haha, nice description of the FZ50 there

Yes, the server has "only" 18 slots but IMO that really is more than enough. Of course, compared to the 47 (?) slots of the LR server it may not seem much, but it's enough to provide good racing. Besides, it rarely gets full except on popular combo's So if you're looking for the numbers the LR server has then dMr might not be for you

Also, we have Forced Cockpit View enabled. Just to keep Zeug away (j/k)
Quote from obsolum :Haha, nice description of the FZ50 there

Yes, the server has "only" 18 slots but IMO that really is more than enough. Of course, compared to the 47 (?) slots of the LR server it may not seem much, but it's enough to provide good racing. Besides, it rarely gets full except on popular combo's So if you're looking for the numbers the LR server has then dMr might not be for you

Also, we have Forced Cockpit View enabled. Just to keep Zeug away (j/k)

The LR server only has 36 spots as far as I know. The only popular 47 spot server is the FM FOX Junkies server I think. Tbh, I think your server has enough spots, but the current combo is uhm not that good. The track, well it´s my favourite track in LFS, but the car is just no. I don´t car if I have to drive from cockpitview aslong as the car isn´t a single seater.
Well the combo gets chosen every week at random That way you almost always get an original combo that you normally don't race
If people would come I'm sure a RSR server could be set to TBO's We had a weekend to remember when CTRA closed down and would gladly go there again if others will race it.
Quote from obsolum :Well the combo gets chosen every week at random That way you almost always get an original combo that you normally don't race

Thats part of the attraction. I get to drive combos I've never touched before

Dont think I've even driven the FZ5 before this week

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG