The online racing simulator
Better Helmets
(23 posts, started )

Poll : Do YOU want better helmets?

Yes!
No!
Better Helmets
Ok, i'm sure you all know the awful quality of the helmets in lfs. And i think i speak for a lot of people when i say how low poly they are. I think the following needs to be done.
  • Better 3D model
  • Better texture on visor
These are probably the most basic.. i don't know if there are mods for these, if there are just point me in the right direction.

Also, i've noticed that the drivers are all black (Going by their necks), would it be possible to change between white/black ? Not necessary, but yeah .

Anyway, helmets are the main issue, Do YOU think we need better quality helmets? If so what do you think can be done to them?

Thanks.
A better (higher poly) 3D model would be nice
arai plz gp6
I don't think we could have any specific helmet but would be nice to have different models to represent different helmets. If not then definately:

Quote from Sponge :A better (higher poly) 3D model would be nice

I believe improving the helmets has been on the TODO list for quite some time already. No idea when, but they will come at some point I am sure.
I never really notice the helmets
Of course we want better helmets! If it was that easy, we'd have them already.
I do want better helmets, but hundred of millions of "real" improvements go first
Can't say I ever notice the helmets. I have my own driver switched off and tend to watch what the cars are doing rather than the drivers inside them
How about.. o.O Create a character? I mean i'd like to have a personalized character... that'd be pretty pretty badass.... > > You might think "Oh thats not very useful while racing"

It would help with cruise tho... > > cause why should people be wearing helmets during cruise?

Lastly... =D Customized race avatars! :3
#11 - VoiD
Quote from brandons48 :... Anyway, helmets are the main issue...

I´m afraid not...for me it´s improved physics, updated/improved collision detection, improved sounds, weather effects, more track-environments and propably another kinky car...

Quote from brandons48 :Do YOU think we need better quality helmets?

No

Quote from brandons48 :If so what do you think can be done to them?

Pay for some highres-skins and enable them for download
I don't really care because I never pay attention to the drivers/passengers.

But if you say the driver/passenger/marshall models are low-poly and look bad, YES.
#13 - JJ72
i think they should change the model because the modelling and UV mapping isn't ideal. It's hard to make a smooth circumference that's in parallel with the base of the helmet.
Now what would be REALLY nice would be idle animations for marshalls and heads that turn to watch as cars go past, focussing on any accidents if they happen. But it's not really going to improve the racing aspect of this racing simulator, is it?

I'm pretty sure that higher polycount models will be on the list of improvements to get done once we LFS reaches the cosmetic stage.
sure it wolud be nice if they were better, just like with everything.. but all the improvements related to driving itself are more important to me

but if we are talking about the acuraccy of the driver model I think that improving the arms, legs and hands would have much more positive impact on the game looks
I don't think anyone really disagrees with the fact that there are other updates which are possibly more important (e.g. physics.) I also do not notice the helmets in the tin tops however when racing the single seaters, LX or RAC it does become obvious that the helmet has a low poly count.
Some things like this isn't too much work to fix, maybe a day. And it's such a good improvement, because you can always see it, whatever car or track. Same things for the driver model itself, and some other things. But yeah, of course the devs are busy with other things aswell... though I think things like this should be easy to fix in a patch or two.
As much I'd love to see some new helmet designs, it's not really on the higher priority. I want the physics and stuff focused on first, then the helmets and such.
Helmets will be replaced eventually....

Additional car interiors will be modernized.....

lots of 3d stuff will be updated eventually..

But whats more important... a car that looks good? Or a car that drives good?
Yeah, ofcourse we want good physics. But that's why Eric is working on the graphics part, and Scawen on the physics.

So everything that Eric does, won't effect the physics really... He just has to made a choice to update a track, car or in this case the helmet. And then I think it's better to make a relative small update for the helmet/driver (something what you always see), instead of a new interior that costs a few weeks. But ok, it's the choice of the devs.
The only parts of the driver I ever see is the arms when I'm driving, so I could care less tbh.
hell yea, its really difficult to do good skins when this model just destroys them
and also you can see a helmet quite often, on screenshots and when racing you can see other ppl
Quote from JPeace :i agree, i think that the devs are too busy atm tho..

too busy in the attachment i show how to

i think eric has the 2 minutes
Attached files
improving the helmet.rar - 1.2 MB - 178 views
-
(John5200) DELETED by John5200
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48

Better Helmets
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG