The online racing simulator
Trans-Am Series
(8 posts, started )
Trans-Am Series
Does anyone remember the Trans-Am series back in 2005 and relaunching in 2009?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... 6D901EA07AB04&index=0

Just curious on thoughts of anyone who watched it. It was very interesting to see GT racing with a stock car class (The GTA class are essentially ASA stock cars). I wonder if anyone has been following the Trans-Am if they might bring the GTA stock car class back or if the stock cars were too much trouble for the GTs.
I hope that class doesn't return; it was never supposed to be there. It only existed for the sake of adding some cars to the thinning field of a dieing series. I was at the Mosport round this year (been at every T/A event at Mosport since 2000, except 05, I think. And the years it was defunct, obviously) and enjoyed the day, but I don't think Trans-Am will return proper unless there is a major shift. It needs to go back to its roots I think. As it is, it's just stock cars with sportscar bodies. I want a proper trans-am, and it looks like we may get one under a different banner with Koni Challenge series ('Stang, Camaro, Challenger....)
It does seem that Grand-Am is doing better in the sportscar petigree with it's KONI and Rolex. But why do you feel that the stock car class didn't belong there (except for the fact that they were obviously amateurs)

The racing seemed to be pretty cool (although I only watched 3 trans am races that had the stock car class)
I remember when they were used in the rolex 24 a while back. Wished they did the same again by adding them to alms in place of GT1 and not having the ALMS-C class
Quote from lizardfolk :It does seem that Grand-Am is doing better in the sportscar petigree with it's KONI and Rolex. But why do you feel that the stock car class didn't belong there (except for the fact that they were obviously amateurs)

The racing seemed to be pretty cool (although I only watched 3 trans am races that had the stock car class)

It's not so much to do with the racing as it is to do with what Trans-Am was and should be. Trans-Am isn't for stock car racing; NASCAR and ASA Can do that. Trans-Am was for muscle cars duking it out on the track.
Quote from MAGGOT :It's not so much to do with the racing as it is to do with what Trans-Am was and should be. Trans-Am isn't for stock car racing; NASCAR and ASA Can do that. Trans-Am was for muscle cars duking it out on the track.

Could you explain a little of what Trans-Am is now (the 2009 season). AFAIK, the series reboot with only the GT1 class and the GTA class isn't there anymore.

You say the GT1 cars in Trans-Am currently are only "stock cars" with GT bodies?
The current Trans-Am is using the exact same cars as it was prior to it going defunct; which as I understand it are very similar to current "stock cars" in their construction; tubular steel frame, carbeurated engine, etc. Fatter tires and other obvious differences from stock cars, obviously, but much the same.

In my mind, Trans-Am should be more like the Koni challenge, where the cars use the same chassis as the road-going counterparts and are modified from there, as the original Trans-Am was.
So THATS what Derek Daly is doin these days.

Trans-Am Series
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG