The online racing simulator
Local file sharing wont work...
(23 posts, started )
so...today my router arrived, and i hooked up both my pc's to it.
of course i want to be able to access each pc from the other one.
but it simply doesnt work.
i can ping fine from both sides, but cant access them.
win firewall is off (no other firewall installed), router firewall is off, file sharing services are activated.
im clueless.
#2 - wild
What operating systems are they running? Have you made sure that there both on the same Domain or Workgroup?
Are you sharing specific folders? You won't see any shared files/folders unless you specify which folders should be shared. Rightclick -> sharing.

Also, how are you trying to see the shared files? By typing in an ip somewhere or what? I always just open Windows Explorer and type "\\Computername" in the addressbar, with "Computername" being the name of the computer that you want to access, obviously. Works like a charm
If you're on XP, it's easy.

Control Panel > Network Setup Wizard.

Make sure both PC's are on the same workgroup and file sharing is turned on
im on xp, ill give it a try later on.
will reply with the result
just tried it, still doesnt work.
on my main pc its showing the workgroup, but not the other one.
on the second pc it doesnt show any workgroup at all (both have the same network name).
#7 - wild
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :just tried it, still doesnt work.
on my main pc its showing the workgroup, but not the other one.
on the second pc it doesnt show any workgroup at all (both have the same network name).

Weird I'm pretty sure I've experienced the same thing on Vista -> XP Networks. Try changing the Workgroup name to see if that does anything. I'm sure they'll be a Network master around here somewhere
try to give the pc each a fixed ip (of course in the same subnet as the router)

Example:
- Router: 192.168.1.1
- PC1: 192.168.1.11
- PC2: 192.168.1.12
(Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.1.1)

try to ping both pcs: win+r -> cmd -> ping 192.168.1.1x
(you can also try that without the fixed ip by using the dhcp ones from the router)
they already have fixed ips, one is 192.168.1.2 (this here) and the other has 192.168.1.4.
right now ive seen that i can actually see the shared foldes from the sec pc on this one (under "my network places"), but i cannot access it.

http://www3.pic-upload.de/08.08.09/5inn98f2mz.jpg

the other doesnt show this pc.
Both comps must be on the same workgroup. Rightclick on My computer > Properties > Computer name and there click on a button Change (the only button there iirc). I'm using slovak XP so I'm not sure about the translation but you should be able to find it.

Browse the LAN through My network places > Network Computers (or something like that)
they are.
if here are any network gurus...help me
i also have teamviewer, for direct access to the pc, and easier working
really want this to get working.
#14 - arco
Check that you have "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" installed in the network connection.
have you tried to type directly under explorer in the address box : \\[IP address of the other computer : 192.168....]\ and then 'enter'.
See what happens.
In general, it asks you the login/password and then you will see the shared folders of the computer.
that stuff is installed, and accessing it directly via ip isnt possible either.
you can have a look in gpedit.msc (type in start\run) and check that some things are not activated in the nework folders

edit : btw, you do not need at all to have both computer on the same workgroup.
But same network name is not a good idea, you should have a conflict if I understand what you mean here
#18 - arco
Hmm, might be something wrong with the network stack. Try these commands in a cmd prompt:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
Quote from Flotch :you can have a look in gpedit.msc (type in start\run) and check that some things are not activated in the nework folders

edit : btw, you do not need at all to have both computer on the same workgroup.
But same network name is not a good idea, you should have a conflict if I understand what you mean here

my bad, meant same workgroup.
quite a lot of stuff isnt configured there, but im too scared and clueless to randomly change things

Quote from arco :Hmm, might be something wrong with the network stack. Try these commands in a cmd prompt:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

those cmds only cleared my manually configured ip which i need to access the internet ^^
btw, i dont have a boot.ini anymore (tdu uninstaller yay) could that be a problem?
#20 - arco
Quote from [RCG]Boosted :btw, i dont have a boot.ini anymore (tdu uninstaller yay) could that be a problem?

It shouldn't.

Look at this guide here. Might be a solution in there.
got a little further...prolly foun a problem maker.
this showed me.
so basically the ..__MSBROWSE__. isnt running.
but, i have no idea how to start it since it isnt written in this tutorial, nor did i find something on google.
or did i understand something wrong? i dunno, im so lost in all this.
haha...i just fixed it!
all i had to do was to disable the "host only network adapter" from the vmbox software.
christ, that is strange.
but its fixed, i can now access both computers in any direction.
#23 - arco
Yes, computer problems can be really strange sometimes. Good that you got it sorted.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG