The online racing simulator
Clean Overtaking Education
(31 posts, started )
Quote from lucky :Dont be too slow so noone will cahtch you
Seriously: if you cinsider that on the outside you can go to edge of track on exit, but inside guy cant (bacause he has to leave space for you) and has to astrat corner from inside, you'll see that there are wery few corners like you described.

There are many corners where the ideal line aims straight for the inner curb.

Quote from lucky :And if it happens, it happen - or would you like to crash to prve your point? Cause I'd be on the inside if you like it or not ...

You shouldn't be on the inside if you didn't have overlap at turn-in, thus it should not happen, if there'd be a crash it would be your fault.

Quote from lucky :And what cutting of yre you dreaming about?

First tight left hander at Aston National for example, the line heads from outer curb straight to inner curb, cutting someone off is very simple, and not fun racing.

Quote from lucky :when there's more tha 1 driver going for same piece of track, they both (or all) better know how to share it

Yup, and they should also know when to share it.
I guess it's a product of how selfish, dishonest, and whiny society has become. Both in real life and in sims like LFS it seems that drivers have to be schooled extensively and be given a mile-long list of rules. Everything has to be spelled out now. What constitutes a 'block', who has right-of-way, what are you allowed to do and when, etc...

It's sad. We're supposed to be racing drivers (albeit in a sim), not school children. We shouldn't need extensive rules telling us how to do our job. Neither should the 'pros' in F1. Our heroes of days long gone didn't. That's why today's drivers will never really measure up to those of years ago.

Schumacher may have won more titles than Fangio, but Fangio didn't have the help of a '1 defensive move rule' when trying to pass others. (and yes I realize Schumacher's antics played a large role in the creation of the 1 move rule)
#28 - Gunn
Quote from RacingSimFan :I guess it's a product of how selfish, dishonest, and whiny society has become. Both in real life and in sims like LFS it seems that drivers have to be schooled extensively and be given a mile-long list of rules. Everything has to be spelled out now. What constitutes a 'block', who has right-of-way, what are you allowed to do and when, etc...

It's sad. We're supposed to be racing drivers (albeit in a sim), not school children. We shouldn't need extensive rules telling us how to do our job. Neither should the 'pros' in F1. Our heroes of days long gone didn't. That's why today's drivers will never really measure up to those of years ago.

Schumacher may have won more titles than Fangio, but Fangio didn't have the help of a '1 defensive move rule' when trying to pass others. (and yes I realize Schumacher's antics played a large role in the creation of the 1 move rule)

I couldn't disagree more with everything you've said.
Quote from MAGGOT :Quite frankly, I don't think anyone is 'entitled' to a line. If a car is coming up on your inside, and actually is even slightly at your side you should go wide to give them room to prevent a crash. If the one infront is 3/4 car lenght further ahead, and expects the line then they will most likely turn into the trailing car, causing an accident. The way I see it, just don't hit another car and all is well.

This is not the case in real world racing, and I think leads to some pretty frustrating crashes in LFS. You can't be expected to drive in your rear view mirrors, especially as you are preparing for a turn, where the racing line is to hit the apex and come out without (hopefully) leaving the track.

You can't just wait till the last minute to brake, push your nose inside, and expect the other car to yield. Maybe you weren't implying this, but I see it happen all the time...i.e. the end of the back straight at Blackwood.

If you are up inside the outer car before he's reached the point where you'd expect him to turn in, then the outer car has no choice but to yield ( in a fair world).

If the inside car is not 'inside' at the point the outer car would normally be turning in ( but can still get there right as he turns, by virtue of drafting), the inner car has no choice but to yield the corner.

Of course you can alwasy hit the brakes and let him fly off into the dirt, but that's another topic.
Quote from Gunn :I couldn't disagree more with everything you've said.

Then please explain your views.

Yes I realize that today's racing has to be 'over-moderated', for lack of a better expression, otherwise it would go to hell in a handbasket. But wouldn't you agree that it is a sad commentary on the state of drivers today that all the stuff they get spelled out for them isn't already common-sense in their minds? That's all I was really trying to say.

It's not very dignifying to be lectured on what specific manouvres are good and what are bad when you already have a basic understanding of what works and what doesn't.
#31 - Gunn
Quote from RacingSimFan :Then please explain your views.

Yes I realize that today's racing has to be 'over-moderated', for lack of a better expression, otherwise it would go to hell in a handbasket. But wouldn't you agree that it is a sad commentary on the state of drivers today that all the stuff they get spelled out for them isn't already common-sense in their minds? That's all I was really trying to say.

Yes, if you put it that way I do think it is sad that so many professionals don't understand the rules.

Quote from RacingSimFan :Schumacher may have won more titles than Fangio, but Fangio didn't have the help of a '1 defensive move rule' when trying to pass others. (and yes I realize Schumacher's antics played a large role in the creation of the 1 move rule)

Michael has won a lot more than Fangio, and still admits that he thinks Fangio was better than him. Having said that, Fangio never had to dress in stifling fire-proof clothing and pull 4 G's through a corner. Michael's "antics" had nothing to do with overtaking rules being changed or formed. These rules are made for racing, not just F1. Safety was slow coming to motor racing, rules are welcome.

Clean Overtaking Education
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG