The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Well my first impression of the Lotus is pretty good.

The handling is definately very knife edge, but I love it TBH. You can catch slides with some success, and the grip the thing produces at high speed is awesome. Go above 120 mph and the thing is just glued to the road. You can even feel the steering load increase, and it genuinely conveys what I'd expect ground effect to feel like, even if it's botched a bit. At low speed though it's very very slippery and you need to be very precise. One thing I do like, is being able to setup up the differential properly, NO MORE lift off oversteer!!!

The sound is more aggressive than it seemed on the preview video, but it's very thin and there ain't much low midrange meat which I'd expect. It sounds like a 500 cc version of the same engine.
A very quick mazda time at Road Atlanta was 1:18 or 1:17

I ran a couple 1:18's with the lotus all over the place.

I had an optimal of like low 1:15. I'm sure there are 1:12's or maybe lower in it there. It is damn quick, but not a huge gap like I expected either.
I'm a couple of seconds faster on my pb at Laguna Seca compared to my Mazda time, although the F1 was in the base set up and completely all over the place. Overall I would say there is a 5-7 second pace difference between the 2 cars
anyone else tried the centipetal circuit ? im sure you could use it to help with suspension setups but its more fun doing long drifts on it
Quote from DaveWS :Well my first impression of the Lotus is pretty good.

The handling is definately very knife edge, but I love it TBH. You can catch slides with some success, and the grip the thing produces at high speed is awesome. Go above 120 mph and the thing is just glued to the road. You can even feel the steering load increase, and it genuinely conveys what I'd expect ground effect to feel like, even if it's botched a bit. At low speed though it's very very slippery and you need to be very precise. One thing I do like, is being able to setup up the differential properly, NO MORE lift off oversteer!!!

The sound is more aggressive than it seemed on the preview video, but it's very thin and there ain't much low midrange meat which I'd expect. It sounds like a 500 cc version of the same engine.

sort me out a nice few sets please Dave

I was doing Silverstone in the Lotus at about 1.33 but the aliens were doing low 1.30's - bastards!!!!!
heh try mid 28's on a mostly default high df set by Ben Corronet (sp?)
Mmm I was using the Med downforce set. They must really be moving through the turns..
Quote from spanks :heh try mid 28's on a mostly default high df set by Ben Corronet (sp?)

thats pretty fast!
always the same with a new car, the aliens dissapear from sight at first and then everyone slowly gets closer to their speed. what i find uncanny abou tthe aliens is their ability to get any content dowloaded and installed so quickly no matter what the queue is like
how fast can you guys get around silverstone with the basic setup untouched? and what changes did you make to improve the car to your liking and in what order?
I've been at watkins all day...its so much fun. I do kinda wish we had the chicane on the back straight though. These things just run out of guts before you're even out of the esses.

I've gotten down to a 1:33.3 with 6/8 wings and quite a few other things. I'm having fun
Quote from UncleBenny :To be HD I'm pretty sure it does, I've tried messing around with it before and no matter what quality video I had, if it wasn't widescreen it would not give me HD. For HQ it can be either.

I capture all my videos in 4:3 format with 1280x960 resolution and they appear as "HD" on Youtube and black bars are only visible on fullscreen with different aspect ratios.
There's still hope for few who just missed Pro licence.
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... readID=44358&tstart=0

Quote :Congratulations to all who were promoted to a Pro-License and may i wish you all good luck in the inaugural iPS season.

As you know 250 members were promoted, however, there are some members that were promoted that have inactive accounts.

The iPS is 39 weeks with 8 drop weeks as stated in the Pro-Series Document. With that in mind, those Pro-License Drivers will need to reactivate their membership no later than 31 Aug 09 to retain their license. This will give them 4 drop weeks should they reactivate. If they do not reactivate their accounts, the positions will be filled by promoting the next driver in the rankings. This will also give those replacements 4 dropped weeks.

It's only fair to give them the opportunity to reactive since they have achieved the necessary requirements to be promoted, and an inactive account makes it impossible for them to have seen the rankings, there could be other circumstances we as community may not be aware of.

The member/members have been emailed with the same information. You'll get an email directly from me letting you know of your promotion should these driver choose to remain inactive.

- Shannon Whitmore

Quote from Crommi :I capture all my videos in 4:3 format with 1280x960 resolution and they appear as "HD" on Youtube and black bars are only visible on fullscreen with different aspect ratios.

Weird, I could never get it to work properly maybe I'll have to try that resolution out.
Quote from Crommi :I capture all my videos in 4:3 format with 1280x960 resolution and they appear as "HD" on Youtube and black bars are only visible on fullscreen with different aspect ratios.

does that mean you put your game to that resolution too?
Quote from StableX :does that mean you put your game to that resolution too?

Yes, that's the resolution I use ingame and I config fraps to record in "Full-size".
Quote from Crommi :Yes, that's the resolution I use ingame and I config fraps to record in "Full-size".

I tried at 1900 x 1200 in iRacing and my machine went slow......
Try recording it on different hard-drive, Fraps footage at 1280x960 resolution already takes up 1,5Gb per minute which means running game can stutter if HDD can't keep up.
Quote from Crommi :Try recording it on different hard-drive, Fraps footage at 1280x960 resolution already takes up 1,5Gb per minute which means running game can stutter if HDD can't keep up.

Might have to buy a new HD then.. ty
not sure to be pleased or gutted about this.

worked away developing a setup for the 79 at the glen. was ok, nice to drive but about 3.5 secs away from the fats guys. saw the first SP setup for it so downloaded it thinking that i usually get on ok with his setups for other cars these days (no more spinning top impressions unlike 3 months ago). obviously i'm not going to be that fast but it'll give me a baseline to work from. load it up in a test and it feels very familiar. have a look and the suspension is almost the same as the setup i'd come up with.

pleased on my setup skills but gutted that i really am that slow
Quote from StableX :sort me out a nice few sets please Dave

I've had a big fiddle with most settings, and I've got it to feel much more to my liking, although it's still by no means easy to drive. No more understeer, and it turns in on the throttle so you need to be careful, but I've attached it if anyone wants a go and gives me some feedback.

I've only tested it on the free tracks and infineon, as well as the skid pan.

Quote from Crommi :There's still hope for few who just missed Pro licence.
http://members.iracing.com/ifo ... readID=44358&tstart=0

Yup, I noticed that, awesomeness.
Attached files
DW_Lotus_Test.zip - 1.7 KB - 158 views
Quote from DaveWS :'I've attached it if anyone wants a go and gives me some feedback.

It better be good or I'm contacting support to recommend you go back to rookie license
Quote from tinvek :not sure to be pleased or gutted about this.

worked away developing a setup for the 79 at the glen. was ok, nice to drive but about 3.5 secs away from the fats guys. saw the first SP setup for it so downloaded it thinking that i usually get on ok with his setups for other cars these days (no more spinning top impressions unlike 3 months ago). obviously i'm not going to be that fast but it'll give me a baseline to work from. load it up in a test and it feels very familiar. have a look and the suspension is almost the same as the setup i'd come up with.

pleased on my setup skills but gutted that i really am that slow

I have a homebrew (read: non-expert) set which is good for 1.34.00 in my hands, probably better times with another hour of practice. I'll get around to finalising and posting it later today. I'm not sure what the hyper aliens are running anyway, I only saw low 33's so far.
Quote from DaveWS :I've had a big fiddle with most settings, and I've got it to feel much more to my liking, although it's still by no means easy to drive. No more understeer, and it turns in on the throttle so you need to be careful, but I've attached it if anyone wants a go and gives me some feedback.

I've only tested it on the free tracks and infineon, as well as the skid pan.

Yup, I noticed that, awesomeness.

thanks Dave...... managed a 1.32 with it
Quote from StableX :thanks Dave...... managed a 1.32 with it

Good good, I've been experimenting with the front dampers as that affects the way the car exits corners a lot, but I'm not sure how well it would work around Silverstone, as I don't own it ATM.

I'm gonna buy 3 things I think, for the 10% discount (which is a terribly small reduction but meh), and ATM I'm thinking Watkins Glen and Silverstone. Anything else I should get? God iRacing sucks when you buy a year, and still have to spend extra...
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG