The online racing simulator
LFS n00b needs help
(18 posts, started )
LFS n00b needs help
I'm thinking of purchasing LFS S2 but haven't made up my mind. I'm torn between this and NetKar Pro. What's the difference and do you guys think I'd be better off with LFS?

Also, the demo file is 230mb. When I unlock, the entire game fits into that 230mb? Or am I missing something?
Choose LFS. This is LFS forum... what kind of answer you predicted to get?

I've purchased netKar too, haven't played it since the release. It got already once patched but I just tried it briefly. I think the multiplayer in netKar still needs lots of fixing.

And yes, the full game is only 230 mb. You've already downloaded the full game, it just works as a demo without unlock code.
LFS is alot better than nkpro imho. if you enjoy very realistic physics and good multiplayer racing, then lfs is the game for you

Its currently the best racing game on the market and things will only get better.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I can only speak for myself, and being used to LFS I _may_ be slightly biased When you download LFS, you download the entire game but only have access to demo content until you acquire a license, so yes, it all fits in there.

LFS
+easy to pick up online races
+easy ui
+plenty of (fun) cars
+loads of track configs
+uber-cool community ()
+free updates
+S2 is not feature complete, you will see more added to the final S2 and all this content is already paid for when you buy a license for S2 'Alpha'
+auto-x editor
+track (grip), drift, mess about, rally
+awesome physics
+good ffb
+stable online mp
+
-sounds aren't the best
-graphics are a bit basic

NKP
+good physics
+1 yr of free updates
+ffb when driving over rumble strips
+gfx
+sounds
-less cars
-less tracks
-open wheeler single seaters only so far
-ffb otherwise
-flat boring track design
-gui
-multiplayer (i haven't tried because i don't own nkp, simpy what i perceive it as)
-1 yr of free updates (then what?!)
?community, dunno, am not involved

In short, LFS is just so much more accessible and fun out of the box while being much more broader in scope and not limiting itself to ultra-hardcore racing only, with ultra-hardcore drivers. LFS it is.

LFS
#5 - _rod_
Its pretty much down to preference, i personally like LFS better, but what heck this is a LFS forum, so almost everyone here is gonna say to choose lfs.
What would help you to choose is ask, both communites about the game it self both side, good and bad, once you think you heard enough make your choise.
I agree 100% with NotAnIllusion
Wow, thanks for all the responses. Yes I too was leaning toward LFS but now after seeing all the positive responses and how quickly, I think I definitely will go with LFS. If not for the game itself, then for this community.
Are there going to be more tracks added from the LFS makers or just from modders once this version goes final?
I've noticed in the demo that the AI just drive their own line and never waver whether you're next to them or not. Is this also happening in the full version?
Last question, is there a free drive mode where the entire track is opened up(without the barriers blocking the roads)?
We don't know what features will be added to the final version, and to answer the AI issue, the demo is exactly the same as S2 only to exclude tracks and cars.
Quote from Islandiver2005 :Are there going to be more tracks added from the LFS makers or just from modders once this version goes final?

There will be more tracks I am sure from the Devs at some point, but the sim won't be open to modding until S3 is released and finished. And even then I doubt the tools will be released for a while after that.
Quote from Islandiver2005 :
I've noticed in the demo that the AI just drive their own line and never waver whether you're next to them or not. Is this also happening in the full version?

The AI isn't finished - they have no idea about dirt on tyres, temperatues, fuel usage, pitting, banking etc. However, this will be fixed/improved before S2 goes final.
Quote from Islandiver2005 :
Last question, is there a free drive mode where the entire track is opened up(without the barriers blocking the roads)?

Nope, it something the LFS track/graphics/physics engine can't cope with. Maybe it will change one day, but at the end of the day it's good enough for race tracks, and that is what we are simulating.
If it were a choice between the two, I'd have to stick with LFS, if not for anything else but the sweet netcode.

Dan,
Quote :Are there going to be more tracks added from the LFS makers or just from modders once this version goes final?

Adding to tristan's response, we already have 900ish track/car combinations. Once you have S2 it's almost impossible to get bored, because there's always another combination that you haven't tried yet. Heck I'm playing this sim for years now and there are plenty of track/car combos I've never raced on.
Quote from AndroidXP :Once you have S2 it's almost impossible to get bored, because there's always another combination that you haven't tried yet. Heck I'm playing this sim for years now and there are plenty of track/car combos I've never raced on.

So true

Last night after some fun FXO vs RB4 rallycross we switched our server over to a Formula V8 race on Fern Bay green, a combo I'd never tried. Once in a while you hit on a "perfect" combo that feels like it was just waiting to be discovered.. the FO8 at Fern Bay green reversed was exactly one of those!

To add my little bit to what's been said here, I've been hooked on LFS since the first time I had a fun online race with a bunch of people. Some days you don't get so lucky, but then a day will come along when you are on a server with a good bunch of courteous people for a few hours :grouphug: and when you finally tear yourself away from the game you remember.. ahhh yeah, that's why I love Live for Speed

Demo racing online can be fun (rarely, if you're lucky) but S2 licensed online racing is almost always a great time
Get LFS. Even when youre not interested for some real racing,you can just mess a bit around the car park and autocross tracks playing silly games (Rooftop Rumble,Rooftop Jump,Cops and Robbers,and so on and on and on...)
To me, LFS is one of the greatest online games of all time. I'm serious here. I've played a bunch of online games to include playing the original Doom over com port...yes, I am that old..all the way to BF2. To me the only game that comes close to LFS' online experience is the original Tribes.

If this game weren't changed in any way except had the backing of a large publisher and thus had more press, I'm convinced it would consistantly be mentioned as one of the classic games of all time simply because of it's online prowess.

I had never given a driving simulator much of a try before LFS. The devs hooked me with the outstanding online play.
5600 online laps on one particular track with one particular car.

^^ Thats how entertaining it is and not to forget - that's how awesome it is to race with other LFSers.

I'm pretty sure it's more than the laps I've done in any other arcades+sims... combined!

Ps. I also have netKar PRO... I like it... but I just like LFS better :P
Quote from r4ptor :5600 online laps on one particular track with one particular car.

^^ Thats how entertaining it is and not to forget - that's how awesome it is to race with other LFSers.

I'm pretty sure it's more than the laps I've done in any other arcades+sims... combined!

Ps. I also have netKar PRO... I like it... but I just like LFS better :P

7000+ laps on one track with a particular car. (MRT/SO1)

Four more car/track combos have about 2000 laps. (XRR/ASNat, XRR/BL1, MRT/BL1, LX4/SO1)

Clearly, I have too much free time.
Quote from operator0 :To me, LFS is one of the greatest online games of all time. I'm serious here. I've played a bunch of online games to include playing the original Doom over com port...yes, I am that old..all the way to BF2. To me the only game that comes close to LFS' online experience is the original Tribes.

ROFL, so true!! (especially the Tribes part although I was a big fan of Tribes 2 too and still run a server for it (=DB= Dutchbat Homeworld))
Well I took the plunge and went ahead and purchased LFS. I've been pretty much strictly a stock car sim racer ever since it's inception so I'm hoping LFS can be just as entertaining. I've never really been a big fan of road courses but I really like the way LFS drives, especially the V8 F1 style car, can't remember the exact name for it. That Sauber is insane, good thing I can go back into the garage every time I'm at the beach . Hey during a race, is there a tow feature to get me out of the sand?
there is a car reset button... but sometimes it doesnt put you back onto the track

welcome to lfs try out the other cars and tracks
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

LFS n00b needs help
(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG