The online racing simulator
Sapphire HD2600 Pro, AA/AF problems. :(
I am having serious problems with AA and AF, which all started when i set everything down to the lowset settings in the graphics dashboard thing to try and get better FPS, but i later found that it was a laggy server causing that problem.

So, anyway, i have put everything back to how it always was set, so i t should all be smooth and lovely looking as it always was, and now the problems have started......

With AF, when i run 8x, edges are as jagged as hell as if there is no AF although my skins looks clear and filtered quite well, but when i go upto 16x AF from 8x i get a slight improvement in edges being less rough, and i also get a totally messed skin that looks hideous.

And AA, no matter what i use, with it at 2x 4x or 6x it looks exactly the same, it makes no difference to anything whatsoever.

I have added some pics of the problems..

First pic is running 4xAA and 8xAF, and the second is running 4xAA and 16xAF

I have always left all LFS AA AF settings turned off and set the card up in the GFX card menu itself as i have found that the FPS and quality is better, but i tried using the ingame settings anyway and it didnt help anything graphically, just killed my FPS.

So, any ideas anyone??

Many thanks in advance!
Attached images
4xAA-8xAF.jpg
4xAA-16xAF.jpg
In the cards control panel, make sure everything is set up to "let program decide' or similar, and use LFS's built in AA and AF. I used to get 45-60 fps when using Nvidia's AA and AF and got bad quality along with bad frames, then used LFS and got 250 FPS and looked quite better.

If that doesn't work, reinstall the drivers.
i'd say your mipmap bias values are all whacked out.

set all the graphics options in LFS to their default values (dunno how exactly you can do that, but there is some kind of option... del-click? shift-click? sorry)

get the latest supported catalysts from ati (here's a quick link for you for 32bit xp)

and set everything to default, and all fancy options off.

see if that fixes your problem.

can't think of anything else right now... you know your system you might have some tweaking utilities that... do... stuff (rivat00ner, atit00l, ) and these things sometimes get in the way.
That newer driver unfortunately doesn't work with my card as it is an AGP card as opposed to PCI-e.

However, i went into device manager and deleted the video card entry from in there, restarted the pc and ran the installer again for the omega drivers that i had luckily kept in a folder from when i formatted at the start of the year, set it to 4xAA and 4xAF (balanced setting) and voila! it's all sorted!

Thanks for the advice guys!
Attached images
4xAA-4xAF.jpg
I found the opposite to be true actually.

All the ATI versions of drivers i could find were either old and outdated, or newer versions were buggy as hell because they were patched versions of the drivers edited to make them work with an AGP card.
Quote from MijnWraak :I used to get 45-60 fps when using Nvidia's AA and AF and got bad quality along with bad frames, then used LFS and got 250 FPS and looked quite better.

Stop using 8 year old XP.
Why, vista is whack, and uses far too much memory!
Quote from Shadowww :Stop using 8 year old XP.

First, why did you quote my post to say that?

Second, O/S's cost a lot and it's a person's choice to use XP. It's stable and works well

@dan 1gb of ram costs 20USD and Vista used the ram more efficiently. But yeah, noones forcing you
Quote from MijnWraak :First, why did you quote my post to say that?

Because it was directed at you. With win7, I have ~150fps with 8xAA 16xAF in LFS and ~200fps with 16xAA 16xAF in NVCpl.
Quote from Shadowww :Because it was directed at you. With win7, I have ~150fps with 8xAA 16xAF in LFS and ~200fps with 16xAA 16xAF in NVCpl.

Why was it directed at me? I haven't used XP since I sold my HP 7 months ago ...
Quote from MijnWraak :Why was it directed at me? I haven't used XP since I sold my HP 7 months ago ...

Uh, bug you mentioned in that post doesn't happens in Vista and Seven. At least in 64-bit editions.
Quote from Shadowww :Uh, bug you mentioned in that post doesn't happens in Vista and Seven. At least in 64-bit editions.

Sorry, you must be mistaken. I've been using win7 since the beta went public. It's not a bug, it's just that using LFS's built in AA gives a better framerate.
Quote from MijnWraak :t's not a bug, it's just that using LFS's built in AA gives a better framerate.

I don't know why, but for some it does, and for some it does not. Check thread of test patch where ingame AA was first introduced (AFAIK Y15).
Yeah it's probably because the diversity of setups people have. Someone might have the exact same hardware and O/S but different graphics card drivers and have completely different results.

Sapphire HD2600 Pro, AA/AF problems. :(
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG