The online racing simulator
More variables to blow outs
(13 posts, started )
Alright...another tire issue. BUT, it's not a complaint just a suggestion

I noticed that the tires are pretty independent from the chassis or anything else on the car anyways. No tire rub (this is of course closed wheel cars).

So...add tire rub. But I have more to suggest.

have the metal of the chassis have an effect on the tires (this can be both closed wheel or open wheel as the open wheel's front wing can be quite the blade). For example, if there's major contact between two cars, the possibility of a wheel being sliced open from contact (or punctured in open wheel racing).

Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... &feature=channel_page
+ 1

Look forward to it. But it's not easy.
#3 - Woz
+1. Should not be too hard in reality. If the type tries to move outside a bounding box area it rubs.

It would force people to pick between exterme lowered cars and steering lock. More you drop it the more you have to think about rub.
Yep and it might stop drivers thinking it's ok to rear end someone on T1 or any turn for that matter. The guards at the front can bend pretty easy causing the tyres to rub and blowout.
Quote from JasonJ :Yep and it might stop drivers thinking it's ok to rear end someone on T1 or any turn for that matter. The guards at the front can bend pretty easy causing the tyres to rub and blowout.

Quote :+1. Should not be too hard in reality. If the type tries to move outside a bounding box area it rubs.

You wont be able to use a box, wheel arches are by definition not box shaped. The only fast maths way would be to do a 2 axis radius range test for initial bounds testing and then some form of non 3D object based object interpolation testing.

However, body damage (the most likely scenario where rub will occur) would not be factored by a simple radius bounds test. Whilst spatial intersections between cars are fairly easily pre-tested with a boundary test, intersections within the car are much harder and substantially more mathematically involved.

It's possible to do, I think if I was doing it I would design the car bodywork damage system first. The vertex deform system we have now is far from a complete damage model and we know it's going to get upgraded in the future, so my approach would be to remember an 'instance' of each damage impact to the car, and test likely instances (those which effect a wheel arch) for possible rubbing on the tyre, possibly using some form of pre-calculation for certain wheel angles performed when the damage is actually done.
This really all should come along when the damage engine gets fixed.. well most of it anyway, when people clip tires with the BF1 and someone is in the air... we're getting somewhere

Randoms.. my vote goes to an option.. no seriously, if you think about it, every other thread we've had people fight it off, some people like perfect racing where all variables and instances are the same for everyone, but in other cases (an example would be the 24h race, or this upcoming 16h race, any endurance race) chances are they're going for something more realistic.

However.. for the randoms, they should have different effects on the car, such as a tire blow out, a broken link on a suspension.. well not the same effects per say, but should take about the same amount of time to fix in the pits for example just to keep things a touch on the fair side.

But again... a far better damage model may not have any need for randoms, instead keep check on how much you're abusing your suspension, tires, body work (engine).. etc.. who knows, soon hopefully!
uhhh randoms...? no just real damage thnx, the lag-outs are random enough.

Would be cool to if the rubbing became so bad that the tyre would not spin freely. Locked up wheel. No hobbling back to pits with a trashed car.
Of course you need randoms, as every blowout/puncture and the moments leading upto it in real life are not exactly the same are they.

Two identical cars could suffer identical impacts to the same bit of the car but one may get a puncture and the other may not, parts of bodywork may bend slightly differently so rubbing is worse or better, etc..

This is where randomness is needed to play a part, sometimes a tyre will burst and sometimes it won't, you cant be sure either way until it happens.
Question is though Dan, how .. "random" do most people want this to be?

On one side you have the people that want 100% random, aka tires or whatever can.. 'just stop working'

On the other end of the spectrum you have the side that I'm on where, randoms would be nice, but stress should be the final determination; aka if you run your tires very hard and slide all over the place, chances are they will pop

So you have.. completely random, as we like to call in the real world "Factory Defects", and then you have the not.. quite as realistic, stress level damaging (which should be in LFS either way by the end at least)

It's harder to do it on tires, lets talk about engines, if you're going over the limiter when downshifting, or hit someone, in real life chanses are you'll blow your engine up or it will overheat etc etc.

In the real world, a cylinder head could just fly out of your engine for a completely (well.. not completely, but just from defects of wear and tear) out of the engine.

The high stress level damage is what should be in LFS.. randoms would be nice, but the races are so short in LFS for the most part.. who would want to see their tire pop 3 laps in at FE Club?! That would piss a lot of people off.
The 2nd bit is what i mean, in that as you say, stress to be the final determination of what happens.

That wouldn't be 100% realistic, as anything can break at any time for whatever reason, but totally random would be a little OTT i think.
Quote from danthebangerboy :The 2nd bit is what i mean, in that as you say, stress to be the final determination of what happens.

That wouldn't be 100% realistic, as anything can break at any time for whatever reason, but totally random would be a little OTT i think.

Perfect.
Quote from danthebangerboy :The 2nd bit is what i mean, in that as you say, stress to be the final determination of what happens.

Yeah, this may be a simulation, and we may want it to be as realistic as possible, but it isn't real life. Because of the races people do in LFS, and because of the mindset they approach these races with, totally random would be a little OTT. Though having said that, I wouldn't mind too much, but I'm sure a lot of people would.

(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG