The online racing simulator
Gamepad VS Mouse
(37 posts, started )
Yea with your table getting a shifter on left probably isn't going to happen lol, or at least it would make it awkward...

Screw the wheel, get a game pad and get a new table

Just kidding, I would keep thinking about it though. Unplug your monitor and take a piece of paper with the dimensions of a wheel on it (depth and width), and move it around until you get something you like.. That's what I would do personally.

Really the problem lies in your speakers, if you had different speakers, those wouldn't be in the way and you could have your monitor all the way on the right, but those speakers are just in the way.

If you got some nice smaller speakers (logitech makes excellent speakers for pretty cheap!, check out their 2.5 speaker systems, I have one from a few years ago and they have an excelent sound range for a $45 system!) and had your monitor set on the right side of desk, you would have plenty of space for a G25 and the shifter to be on your left (guestimating by the looks of everything)

I'm not sure about the dimensions of the shifter for G25, someone else will have to give you those.
Yeah I agree that the speakers could be smaller but I quite like these and wouldn't have cash for new ones ... yeah I could fit the wheel directly in front of the monitor... but only with the shifter on the right... + I moved the screen towards the right by 5-6cm ...

So now thinking if I'd have enough space backwards... as I don't think It'd liek to be steering with my elbows bent too much
I know this sounds cheesy, but you could kinda make a desk or something if you have something in your room that's about the hight of the desk and put the speaker over there, you won't have the ledge covering it all.. wouldn't be as symetrical, but that would work out the best imo without putting the speakers in weird places.
i'd say that your desk has enough room compared to what im dealing with at the moment
getting a wheel and shifter onto this badboy will be very interesting!
Got a tiny room, and all the possible space is sort of used up by other things ... so no way of shifting the speaker to elsewhere... without making it too asymmetrical...

Well I'll be able to tell in 3 weeks or so whether I could afford a wheel or not... Might also have to sort out connection problems first.. as I can't imagine racing properly without solid connection all the time..

I guess all the space questions are pretty much answered now.. maybe except how much space it takes to sit back.. when the wheel is mounted on the desk as I got an armchair behind me... but apart from that seems like it could work...

Still if anyone has anything to add feel free... especialyl if it's to do with the type of wheels ya could get and so on..
By the looks of your pictures, I think you may be okay unless you're like really tall.

If you put your chair all the way back, I think you'll have plenty of room.

Just for measurement's sake, I'm 5"8' and from where I sit (yours legs will be fine), from where I sit, my arms extended fully, are about 1" short from the back of my Momo racing wheel, so if you do like I said and get some paper and get some measurements and try that out, you should be fine.

I sit close to the wheel compared to some people though so it depends on your style.

Pulling out a measuring tape, my chair is just less than 2 feet from the edge of my desk. But like I said, I sit closer than some people i've seen so...

edit, I got a better idea...
The center grips of my Momo Racing is 5.5" from the edge of my desk (where I hold my wheel is 5 and a half inches from the edge) so.. I believe the G25 is probably something similar to that, I would say get a book and measure 5.5" out from your desk and put your hands there and see if that's comfortable to you.
I am 185cm ... that's 6'1 I think? I'll look over your post a bit later on as I'll have to convert all the units to metric anyway I'm out for now.
Meh.. i got it all in front of me..

I'm 173 cm (close enough)
Chair is 61 cm from desk (I guess I should do the leg, that's the top which doesn't count.., the legs are 56cm from the desk)
Center of wheel is 13cm from desk.

Also.. unfortunate to me, mine has a lip with a bad drop off so I can't use third desk lock on the wheel so it's only holding on to my desk lip by like.. barely 1 inch lol
I agree those large speakers are reducing your options for shifter placement. I should have realised you drive on the left over there.

I stupidly assumed you would have shifter on right so I never mentioned the speakers. If you had ones that fit under the LCD panel gaps... well yeah,... would help.

You could build a shifter stand for under the desk so that it doesn't have to attach to the left side of the desk where the curve will get in the way. You would still need room for your left arm to drop down from holding the wheel to change gears so it probably wouldn't help a lot anyways. .... But if you had smaller speakers and could push the monitor far to the right then you wouldn't have a problem.

Best get the wheel first before replacing your speakers, you might change your mind. You can also sit the peakers on the floor until you get your seat positioning sorted.

Joyad>>Wheel
Took me literally weeks to go from Joypad to wheel. I think that is normal. Joypad can go lock to lock in 0.1 seconds the wheel takes 20 times longer so your whole driving style has to change.
Thanks for the replies! Ehm.. personally I wouldn't have too much trouble with the shifter being on either sides as I only moved to UK 4 years ago... but thought if I'm living here I might as well get used to using the shifter with my left hand if I got G25! That's all to be honest... not sure whether it'd be a bad habit.. to get used to shifting with right...

I wouldn't really want to be replacing speakers, unless in very distant future if I saw a need for it - after getting a wheel. If that ever happened in first place.

Now XNCuse, thanks for the measurements... So basically the wheel is stickin out abotu 15cm fro mthe edge of the desk... so that would leave about 30 cm from the wheel and my body... which isn't exactly the sort of position I'd like to be in ... Might have some problems with the space... and I cant move the arm chair that easily as it sort of folds out into a bed... and I haven't got space just to simply "push it out" of the way...

Unless I actually sat on the arm chair... + made it higher somehow ... and pushed the screen closer to me.. but that doesn't seem like the most genius thing to do lol
I bet we can make it happen.. take a picture of your whole room from the door or somewhere so we can figure this out.

I landed up making my room at college in 3d in 3DSMax (vinyl tile on ground made for easy measurements )

But as far as it goes, that sounds like a bit tight fit! I'm ~40cm from chest to where I hold the wheel but like I said I sit kinda close and am kinda short so..
Quote from XCNuse :I bet we can make it happen.. take a picture of your whole room from the door or somewhere so we can figure this out.

I landed up making my room at college in 3d in 3DSMax (vinyl tile on ground made for easy measurements )

But as far as it goes, that sounds like a bit tight fit! I'm ~40cm from chest to where I hold the wheel but like I said I sit kinda close and am kinda short so..

Okay : ) I'll try to take pictures tomorrow... well technically today as it's 1am.. but it's too late now Thanks a loooooot for help !

Gamepad VS Mouse
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG