The online racing simulator
Connection Loss
(8 posts, started )
Connection Loss
Heya...

Since I was really bored... decided to play LFS a little bit after many months of not doing so...

First of all I ran it on Linux, using wine... played on it for a while, had no trouble with connection whatsoever... then I switched the OS to windows as the FPS was way too low... But then time from time I got disconnected... with LFS saying "Connection lost" or something like that...

Has anyone got an idea how I could solve this problem? I don't really think that I've lost connection... a I had no problems with it on Linux... and I remember loosing connection loads in the past what lead to eventually giving up on online racing :/

Thanks *By the way my avatar is misleading, I'm actually developmentally delayed with insufficient amount of braincells!*
#2 - garph
Things that would help:

Computers specs.
Internet connection (shared or not).
Modem/router.
Firewall.
Wireless or cable.
Does it happen in any other games.
Any problems with downloading or streaming vids.

Slightly better desription of the problem "...with LFS saying "Connection lost" or something like that..." is kinda like saying I can't be arsed to read what it says, just fix it.

p.s. Wrong section.

Sorry about not giving a good enough description, the thing is that I posted this after turning off LFS and gonig back to Linux... so couldn't remember exactly what it said. But I'm pretty sure it said "Connection lost" [to the host] ...

Intel Core 2, Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
3gb Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS (512mb)

Internet connection is not shared, the PC I'm using is directly connected to the wireless modem... which then is connected to the phone socket! So I assume it'd be correct to say it's cable connection?

Never had problems with streaming videos or anything, as I said I don't usually.. well pretty much ever lose connection... So I'd say it's a bit unusual and shouldn't happen. And can't tell about other games as I don't play them, LFS is the only one I ever play... : )
Have u just installed the Windows os or was it on th computer for ages? Also, is the wireless secure on the router?.. Someone might be stealing it n giving u a shit connection... How often do you disconnect? like every 2 mins or a couple o times a night?

Also, when was the last time u unplugged th wifi/modem from th wall? Turning them off/ unplugging them for 5 mins sometimes fixes line problems...
Linux is working with networks in much better way, so you have lower pings and less chances of timeouts with same connection.
Quote from Foilpact :Have u just installed the Windows os or was it on th computer for ages? Also, is the wireless secure on the router?.. Someone might be stealing it n giving u a shit connection... How often do you disconnect? like every 2 mins or a couple o times a night?

Also, when was the last time u unplugged th wifi/modem from th wall? Turning them off/ unplugging them for 5 mins sometimes fixes line problems...

Thank you for the reply and sorry for making the thread in wrong place... I was looking for technical assistance forum but couldn't find it! Never realised it was just right below general lol.. sorry about that.

Windows vista was reinstalled not long time ago and it's absolutely clean and shouldn't have any garbage on it... as I'm using Linux. The wireless connection is secure

I had the router off for a week or so a week ago (as I went on a trip) I have tried doing that in the past, never solved the problem.

I couldn't know exactly how often I get disconnected, but later tonight I'll go play LFS a bit more and note how often it happens.

But as far as I remember it'd be between couple minutes to 10-20 minutes or so... Basically... I could often have trouble finishing the race what really gets on my nerves and get disconnected in the middle of a race
#7 - CSU1
Quote from Shadowww :Linux is working with networks in much better way, so you have lower pings and less chances of timeouts with same connection.

BS - most wireless device drivers are designed to be run in a Windows envoirnment, hacking the shite out of it untill it works seems to be the way for the Linux guy's but as time goes on support gets better.

For wired networks I agree, but not with new devices.
CSU1, I was not speaking about wirelesses, I was speaking about networks in general. Even loopback.

Connection Loss
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG