The online racing simulator
Getting a new monitor
(39 posts, started )
Quote from Forbin :Color accuracy at a single given point may vary between monitors, I'll give you that. However, the important thing to note is this: colorimeters measure color at a single point directly over the monitor surface.

In the scientific sense, this is good because it eliminates variables. In the practical sense, it doesn't tell you anything more than the accuracy of the color at a small point straight ahead with your eyes held perfectly perpendicular to that point. It doesn't tell you anything about any of the other visual qualities (or lack thereof) of the monitor. Therefore it is an insufficient tool for naming a specific monitor or monitor type "better" than another.

Viewing angle measurements are meant for that
Btw I don't mind about view angle because I'm always facing the monitor
Quote from C22_H20_O13 :Viewing angle measurements are meant for that

However, say you are sitting 50cm away from a 24" monitor, with minimal trig you can see your up/down viewing angle is ~20 degrees each way. Far from perfect, and would cause problems with a TN.
Quote from C22_H20_O13 :Viewing angle measurements are meant for that

TN panels present a gradient across the length of the screen as a result of poor viewing angle, regardless of where you view it from. This is most noticeable with solid colors. My IPS panel, well, doesn't.
Perhaps someone wants to help me choose a new screen.

I don't really want to go above 22" or 1680x1050 (16:10), mainly because I'd rather have a slightly higher frame rate in games, and save a few quid. I've only got a little HD4870 card to power it, and it'll not be long before I have to turn down the settings in games to get acceptable performace. Oh, and I want to use DVI. Even better would be a built in USB hub or card reader too, but I'm willing to accept these add to the cost, and are really just unimportant extras

I'd also like to avoid a TN panel (having read some of the comments on here, and a little about them elsewhere), but most of the reviews and specification pages don't mention the type of screen used.

And finally - the tough bit - I don't really want to spend more than about £170/€200 on it if I can help it.

So, what would you lot suggest?
#31 - Jakg
Thank you. Ordered and should arrive tomorrow. Bit pricier that I would have preferred, but it's absolutely worth it. Ticks all the boxes. My brother just told me he bought one, and loves it.
You people should be aware that HP monitors are very glossy, if you like to see youself in a mirror ..go for it.
Yup, but this one is non-glossy. I don't like glossy screens either.
Quote from fujiwara :You people should be aware that HP monitors are very glossy, if you like to see youself in a mirror ..go for it.

I have a HP monitor & it is not glossy at all ?
#36 - Jakg
i can assure you that the latest hp has to offer in 24" (2475w which is rubbish despite the ips panel btw) is definitely non glossy
I have the LG W2261V-PF
22"
Non glossy
1920*1080
HDMI+DVI+VGA

€177

And it's got Gold award at Hardware.info
I can recommend Acer H233H to anyone, just got it. Damn, its so damn sweet! If anyone's intrested - feel free to PM me

Getting a new monitor
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG