The online racing simulator
#1 - Zegga
Hi - I own a Starion how do i record engine sounds and convert to game?
Exactly as title says. I own a starion and love live for speed. Even went out and bought a G25. How do i record my cars engine/exhaust noise and convert it to the game. Just record all the way up the rev range, and record the liftoff noise? Then what?
when you figure it out, can you attach the finished sound
Two ways you can do it:

1. Ask Gills4Life to do it using the LFS engine editor. I won't guarantee that it will sound like a real Starion because LFS has some limitations but Gills does a great job anyways. Or adjust it yourself.

2. Use Car Sound Remixer by Yamakawa here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=12863. It has sounds for all sorts of things (start up, gear whine, clicker noise, wind/tire noise, turbo noise, etc), uses real recordings, and mixes them very well but the downside is no doppler effect or no volume adjustment according to distance. Best if used in cockpit mode.

After you have that installed, you want to record the ranges. Select an RPM to hold at specific ranges in the low (idle), mid (2-3k), mid-high (4-6k), and high (near redline) RPM ranges. You want to record each range twice: 1 with full throttle, and one with partial or no throttle. To get the best recording, you want to hold it as best you can on the desired RPM. Make sure you use a good camera with a good mic or some good sound recording gear because the last thing anyone wants is the sound of an awesome car that seemed like it came out of a telephone!

I cannot go through the full details today as I do not have Car Sound Remixer right now nor do I have the time to explain but best of luck to you.
Beaten by Scatter

I can add that LFS' car sound is synthesized on the fly.

I would say a headset with a mic will do, using a camera with a decent mic (as said above) will also do fine, my (Casio EX-Z150) point and shoot camera is good at recording sounds if I use the video capture mode, and is not if I use the sound recording mode. I sometimes record the sound file directly with a microphone to save the hassle of of converting to certain formats over and over. Audacity is a good program to edit and record sound files, and it's free.
Both LFS sound editor system and the CSR remixer are both very limited in different ways. If you were to record your engine sound through the entire range of revs then your best bet would be to use CSR, since that uses samples of sounds that you link together. This means that you would have to chop your rev sounds up into different parts, like: idle -> low -> med -> high
Then do the same for the off-throttle sounds. There are a few problems with CSR though. There are no external sounds, so even viewing replays in an external view, you will only hear the sounds as you would from the cockpit.

Using LFS' sound editor system, you get cockpit and external sounds. The problem with LFS is that the recorded samples that you can use are very very limited in length. The length of the exhaust pulse can only be 0.07 seconds maximum. This is because LFS simulates the sound from each cylinder, so it is just a quick pop. You can record tiny little samples that do make a difference, but it's not always a huge difference since there is not a lot that you can change with only 0.07 seconds to play with. Using LFS you can get some very nice sounds, but it doesn't always sound REAL. For the other sounds, such as the starter, blowoff valve and gearshift, you can use longer recordings, but really not by a lot. I think the gearshift can be 0.1 seconds max and the ignition only 0.7 seconds max.

Neither are perfect, it's just what you prefer I guess. Hopefully the devs will do some work on the way sounds work with LFS, as I think that sounds immerse people more than they realise.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG