The online racing simulator
Threshold Braking and Overtaking
(30 posts, started )
Hi,

I'm a total noob not only to Live for Speed but to racing sims. I'm more a Counter-Strike guy. I bought a MOMO and downloaded LFS demo and now I'm hooked. But I have some questions.

1. Since I'm such a noob how long before I can go online? Are their noob servers?

2. How do I know when my wheels are locked or about to lock? Yes, practice but in practice sessions how do I know?

3. In the overtaking training, where should I overtake? Is it possible to overtake the Pro car? I'm faster than the OK car but I find it hard to pass him cleanly and when I pass him he often bumps me. I've only gotten around him cleanly a handful of times.

4. Are the crashes in the demo less realistic than in the full version. If I ram head on into a wall at 110 mph my car should become a toaster.

5. I'm married. How do you get the wife off your back so you can play?
1.) i'd reccomend getting good at passing the pro AI 1st before going online... though passing real people is easier sometimes

2.)You know your wheels are locked through experience, force feedback, and sound.

3.) study the wr replays if you want to learn the best braking pts and race line. practice makes perfect. try and get a good start and just hug the inside or outside. dive in at a sharp angle from the outside towards the apex.

4.) the damage physics are not complete but its better than nothing.

5.) I'm not married so i cant help ya there bro all of my lady friends think of gaming as a waste of time. the sims being an exception. (control freaks )
1. Since I'm such a noob how long before I can go online? Are their noob servers?
A - go on line straight away but let the racers know you are new and take it easy, watch and learn but do driv

2. How do I know when my wheels are locked or about to lock? Yes, practice but in practice sessions how do I know?
A - all I can suggest is ...... (yes you quessed it already)

3. In the overtaking training, where should I overtake? Is it possible to overtake the Pro car? I'm faster than the OK car but I find it hard to pass him cleanly and when I pass him he often bumps me. I've only gotten around him cleanly a handful of times.
A - the AI hold a line ridgidy, real folk do not necessarly - like I say get on line

4. Are the crashes in the demo less realistic than in the full version. If I ram head on into a wall at 110 mph my car should become a toaster.
A - not that I have noticed. and yes just about

A - If I told you that I would have to kill ya - (I still have not found out), so I lave the odd ear bashing. You know the drill - just like broken TV - all picture and no sound
just do it m8, as long as you can lap tidily, hold your lines and keep out of the way of faster cars you'll do ok and learn far more than offline.

re overtaking, real people dont want to bump so generally give you space, just emember the aim isnt to pass them but still be on the track after you've passed them. in other words remember that you have to make the bend yourself.
#5 - joen
Quote from somasleep :Hi,

That totally depends on how fast you learn. I think it's best to practice on a certain track/car combo for some time untill you've got a basic understanding and feel of the car, and then go online with the same combo. You don't have to be super fast, just untill you have the feeling you're in control of the car most of the time. Getting consistent and safe comes first, getting fast comes twice I don't know if there are servers for noobs specifically, but practically all servers welcome noobs as long as you know your limitations at a certain point in your training and drive with respect for the other drivers. Don't hesitate or wait too long to go online, it's where you learn the most imo. It's one thing to drive a safe and/or fast lap offline, but racing with other people is something you can only learn online.
Quote :

After more practice you'll hear it and feel it It's hard to explain, it's just a feeling you get after a while.

Quote :

Don't know about the lessons, I've never done a lot with it
Yes it's possible to overtake the pro car. But you should know that the behavior of the AI is very limited and not good at the moment. If human drivers would react the way the AI drivers often do they would get yelled at So if you can't get passed him cleanly in the lessons, chances are it's not your fault

Quote :

No they're the same. The damage model is quite basic at the moment but will be improved in future development.

Quote :

Handcuffs?
forgot to say

try and get to know one track and one car really well

use the track to learn other cars and use the car to learn other tracks.

try to avoid the new car and track situation, especially online
The answer to the last question is get her hooked on some girly TV show like Lost or ER, but refuse to watch it yourself. That way whenever she is watching daft girly telly, you can race.

Although you do have to agree on some decent programs you will watch together, that way she doesnt mind too much.
#8 - bal00
Quote from somasleep :1. Since I'm such a noob how long before I can go online? Are their noob servers?

1. People don't mind noobs unless you interfere with other people's races. Don't run into other cars at the start, don't park on the track, yield to faster drivers lapping you (you'll get a blue flag when someone is about to lap you) and you'll be perfectly fine, even if you're a lot slower than others. Save for a few places like Fusion Racing, people on demo servers usually aren't that experienced/fast either.

2. Listen to the tires.
If you're not sure, watch the replay with the forces displayed (press f). The horizontal force bar of a locked tire will be red. That said, unless you're driving cars with aerodynamic downforce (which aren't available in the demo anyway) you should just turn down the brake force until you can't lock up the tires anymore. This isn't only easier to drive, it'll also net you quicker lap times because that way you're using 98% of the available grip everytime you have to brake and AS SOON as you hit the brake. With threshold braking, you have to approach the limit slowly and you're wasting braking distance while doing that and you're less consistent.

Two useful links:
http://www.lfsworld.net (replays of world record laps, among other things)
http://setupfield.teaminferno.hu (world record setups)
#9 - richy
look for smoke in ya mirrors to see when youre locking up, the tyre may even give off puffs of smoke after the corner, while going up the straight if its cooked enough.
Quote from colcob :The answer to the last question is get her hooked on some girly TV show like Lost or ER, but refuse to watch it yourself.

<offtopic>
Lost is not girly.

(Yes, I am hooked to Lost.)
</offtopic>

I would rather suggest some other crap like Desparate Housewives.
Quote from somasleep :3. In the overtaking training, where should I overtake? Is it possible to overtake the Pro car? I'm faster than the OK car but I find it hard to pass him cleanly and when I pass him he often bumps me.

Practice by doing some single-player racing against AI, so you know it's driving line (which it stubbornly sticks to; Artifical Intelligence is pretty stupid). In the XF GTi, AI tends to brake a little early; and on Blackwood, it's slow to accelerate out of the first hairpin.
one way to look at it is since the ai stick to their racing line. its
good practice for racing the idiots who dont notice your passing them
Quote from somasleep :Hi,

I'm a total noob not only to Live for Speed but to racing sims. I'm more a Counter-Strike guy. I bought a MOMO and downloaded LFS demo and now I'm hooked. But I have some questions.

Get online now. In fact why are you reading this. Go, now. You still here?

You gone?

Right: Turn your sound up, tyres squeel when locked and if you F9 you can watch your tyres turn to red, thats bad. V bad. Your aiming to keep the tyres in the green, so if you think your brakig to hard, lower the braking force untill your more comfortable with your pedals.

Online overtaking ain't like the AI. Get online. But then you should be already.

The crash physics and car reactions arn't quite there yet, LFS is only an alpha and it's still being worked on. It'll come though.

My birds just kicked me into touch. So I'm the last person to be giving advice about computer games and relationships.
I have some more noob questions:

I didn't realize I was using demo S2 Alpha version L. I didn't realize until I tried to play online. So I downloaded the full version U. Now the car feels different. It's easier to brake without locking and I my tires grip better.

Were there major changes in the brakes and tires from L to U?

In the gti overtaking training, I can easily overtake the last car on the first turn now. I go to his inside and brake late, the slide in between the 2nd and 3rd car. Still a tough manuever for me.

One thing I notice is that they pull away slightly from me on the straight away. Am I doing something wrong when I shift when that red shift light comes on. Should I shift earlier or later? Is it really possible to beat the first car?

So far my best lap in blackwood is 1.46. This is hotlapping using the gti using the default setup. What time should I be aiming for?

My biggest question is this: How can you ever pass someone on a turn if they are holding the racing line? If you take any other line you'll be slower coming out of the turn so how can you ever pass?

P.S. I found a way to get my wife off my back. I bought her a laptop so when I'm play LFS she's surfing the web. I realized that whe she hated most about my gaming is that it prevented her from using the pc. I guess the general rule is buy the wife something that will keep her distracted while you play.

This game is so addictive. I love the fact that there is no nonsense about winning races to buy upgrades. You just enjoy driving. I finally tried the real wheel drive cars. So much fun adjust to the new handling and power. I'm totally in love with this game. I think about it at work. (This also my first wheel controller. I have the MOMO and it's worth every penny. Next time I'll get the DFP.)
Next thing you could do is buy LFS
#16 - avih
Quote from Blackout :Next thing you could do is buy LFS

he will
download one of the world record laps from lfsworld and try to learn the raceline and breaking pts. Focus on the section you are worst at. if you post an spr i could give more tips
Quote from tinvek :forgot to say

Good Technique!!
I finally watched some replays from LFS world. Now I understand what I've been doing wrong. I wasn't turning hard enough and hitting the gas to steady me on turns.

I can beat the quick racer now in the tutorial. I'm real close to the pro should get him tomorrow.

On thing: version L and version U are very different. In version L it was much harder to pass on the first turn.

I tried some demo multiplayer. It was chaotic like a crash durby. It was late and I didn't stay long but I'll try it some more. I wish people used mics on those servers.
Quote from somasleep :I have some more noob questions:

I didn't realize I was using demo S2 Alpha version L. I didn't realize until I tried to play online. So I downloaded the full version U. Now the car feels different. It's easier to brake without locking and I my tires grip better.

Were there major changes in the brakes and tires from L to U?

Not sure about the details, but as far as I know the tires have more longitudinal grip and the transition between slip and grip has changed. The brakes are still the same, but the default setups might have changed.

Quote :
In the gti overtaking training, I can easily overtake the last car on the first turn now. I go to his inside and brake late, the slide in between the 2nd and 3rd car. Still a tough manuever for me.

One thing I notice is that they pull away slightly from me on the straight away. Am I doing something wrong when I shift when that red shift light comes on. Should I shift earlier or later? Is it really possible to beat the first car?

If the pull away from you on the straights, it's probably down to exit speed out of the corner. Shifting when the light tells you to is correct. However you may want to turn off "throttle cut on upshift" in the driver options (assuming you're not using automatic gears). Sounds a bit weird when the engine revs up between the gear changes, but it's a tad faster.

Quote :
So far my best lap in blackwood is 1.46. This is hotlapping using the gti using the default setup. What time should I be aiming for?

You should be aiming for a decent setup.
Race_S isn't too bad, but the default one is completely useless.
I'd recommend getting the WR setup (and placing it in your data/settings folder):
http://setupfield.teaminferno. ... php?p_setup_usage_id=1630

Quote :
Is it really possible to beat the first car?

I had a go myself. Not a perfect lap since the steering lock, brake force etc. of the default set is all wrong for me, but you get the idea.

http://www.blinkerfluid.net/AI_race.spr

Quote :
My biggest question is this: How can you ever pass someone on a turn if they are holding the racing line? If you take any other line you'll be slower coming out of the turn so how can you ever pass?

Well, the AI's are fairly dumb at this stage. I wouldn't worry about it, since it's usually not a problem online. Newbies usually have a hard time keeping the car on the road, so they aren't really able to stick to the racing line and experienced players will leave room for you.
Thanks Bal00!!

I saw your replay. Wow! Nice overtake. I never thought I could go into 2nd gear and take him on the inside like that. Anyway, it's really intimidating seeing how people like you drive. I feel like such a rookie but I'm improving little by little.

I notice you and others slide into curves and power through. Is that always the best way?
In general you don't want to get it sideways at entry because it costs speed and it's easy to run wide, because you have to open the steering a little to catch the slide. The default set which I'm forced to use for the training is very nervous when turning in without being on the throttle, so I couldn't really avoid sliding a bit.

What's important though is your exit speed. Since the car doesn't have a lot of power, you need to exit the corner before long straights with as much speed as you can, cause a 3 mph disadvantage will cost you several car lengths on a long straight.

As for powering through the turns, I usually make small throttle adjustments mid-corner and don't go wide open throttle until I know I'll make the corner without getting onto the grass or having to slow down at the exit. Wheel spin is usually not much of a problem with a setup that doesn't use an open diff.

IMHO the best way to learn is the slow in/fast out approach. Braking earlier or entering slower doesn't really cost much time, but a messed up exit will cost your dearly because of the straights that follow. Of course I don't know your driving style, but in my experience the most common mistake of new drivers is trying to brake too late or corner too fast. They gain 0.1 sec by braking at the last possible moment and then lose 1.0 sec cause they barely make the corner and thus exit 5-10mph too slow.

Don't worry though, this will become easier as you get a better feel for the car. You'll anticipate slides and you'll be able to tell where the car is gonna be 2 secs down the road.
Quote from tinvek :forgot to say

I learned BL2/XFG as my 1st track (was wr holder), and now all i do on other tracks is powerslide around corners (rwd), because i learned wrong braking and steering, but now that i have S2 i'm starting to grow out of it (FOX helps)

what i'm trying to say is, stay away from BL2 when u still learn
Quote from somasleep :Thanks Bal00!!

I saw your replay. Wow! Nice overtake. I never thought I could go into 2nd gear and take him on the inside like that. Anyway, it's really intimidating seeing how people like you drive. I feel like such a rookie but I'm improving little by little.

I notice you and others slide into curves and power through. Is that always the best way?

Just keep driving buddy. If I where you (yousound like your getting into this) I'd shell out the £24 and get S2. The drivings better, you don't get the crashfests (Well, nearly don't anyway) and people are around that will help you get the most from your driving and setup. But there is no substitute for just getting out there and racing. You only learn from the mistakes you make .. . .
You should try the training course.

[edit]
*nevermind, I should read better [/edit]

In the SETUP-screen you can have add (like Michelin) on the sidewalls of the tyres. If they don't move you're blocking that tyre or you're not driving.

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG