The online racing simulator
Ground effect possible in next version?
Will there be a implementation of ground effects in S3?
We now have a F1 car, but as far as I know the air under the car is not taken into consideration. F1 teams use most of their time approving exactly that.
Some years ago that was allready used in GP4. So, it shoudn't be a matter of having a powerful computer to calculate that.
matter of fact it will hog a lot of cpu cycles and scawen will have to do a few days worth of reading up on the subject
but either way im confident that he will have it implemented before s2 goes final (iirc he mentioned that its already far up on the list)
I don't think one more variable will hog a "lot" of CPU cycles..
What about all the maths that calculate that variable, eh?
Just one more variable out of many right? I think they could optimize it enough to not have it make a huge difference.. you think? 2.8ghz A64 1mb cache should rip through it OK I would think anyway.
a field of physics with which you can fully ocupy a supercomputer for days just to calculate the forces for one physics frame certainly hogs a lot of cpu cycles to get the result remotely correct
Quote from Shotglass :a field of physics with which you can fully ocupy a supercomputer for days just to calculate the forces for one physics frame certainly hogs a lot of cpu cycles to get the result remotely correct

That is absolutely ridiculous. Obviously you can simulate it within reason enough for the effect to be in the game without using supercomputers for every frame. illepall

The down-force of the wings isn't done of supercomputers is it? :
I understand saying "they haven't gotten around to it yet" or "it isn't done yet".. but blaming it on the weakness of the modern PC is just crazy.
#8 - need
Here's what Scawen actually said regarding it:

Quote :Yes it's much too complicated. It's not a day's work to make the undertray behave correctly. More like weeks to research and code it. I don't even know how long it will be, as I haven't done the research.

For now the undertray is fixed so it doesn't point the aero forwards. But it doesn't change depending on ride height and angle. You are free to set the ride height to give you the best suspension performance.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=99438#post99438
But we don't have it to be implemented 100% of reality. There must be variables of downforce for front and rear altered by the wings. When the rear is very high or low compared to the surface then this variable could be changed in that order.
It should be just a matter of reading out the ride hight variables and put them into calculation. You don't need wind tunnels to get it exactly but it should be taken into physics somehow.
F1 teams setup their cars so stiff just because of that.
Please tell me if I'm wrong.....
I know that if this will be a thing to erase all records made yet because it can't be compared with the driving model used so far. So it should be implemented in next version (S3).
#10 - Vain
The devs are heading for a realistic solution that involves a bit more physics. We want a solution that correctly reacts to bumps, that changes when load changes under braking and acceleration, or when riding a curb, etc.
I guess we will see correct ground effect until S2 final. S2 introduced downforce and S2 will propably finish the downforce-physics so they work properly.

Vain
I hope groundeffect will be in the final version of S2, because in really hate it you are not punished for setups which allow to get the nose higher then the rearend

If you do that in the in real world, you are risking a perfect take off, that will work but F1 cars do not touch down nicely. Gtr cars are even more sensitive for takeoff because the underside is big flat and square. Mercedes demonstrated that very well a few years ago at le mans They deserved it, because it was visibible the mercedes had some extreem suspension setup which caused to car to bump a lot up and down the track. With two nice take offs as a result.

Anyway, to have groundeffect simulated is essential, but it does not have to be perfect. I just would like to see ALL cars to get lift if the nose of the car moves up while driving over bumps. But only the formula and gtr' s should be able to do a take off
But there is a small fear in ground effect cars: in real life they aren't said to be anything "fun" to drive. Lots of grip, yes, but a slightest bump can make you lose it all. Also the setup needs to be as hard as possible to get the 100% use of it.

Hope the LFS cars aren't designed to be like some of the 80's ground effect cars

But of course ground effects should be in LFS
Once I grazed a wall in Nascar racing4 at high speed, nose jumped a little and then I glided for a sec. Not sure it was that ground effect simulated but if so, what's problem with having it in lfs?

BTW although min. req. is CPU 1GHz, I can run 4AIs race with my temporary (till tomorow!!!!) 850Duron

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG