The online racing simulator
New PC - suggestions?
(10 posts, started )
I'd say you shouldn't buy a cheapass PSU.
And maybe a 4850/70 x2.

For a cooler. Get coolermaster V600 or V8/V10. If it doesn't fit get yourself a nice big case like the HAF932.

kthxbai.
#2 - Jakg
The GP is slow as hell - Go for a Seagate 7200.12 instead. The XtremeAudio isn't even an X-Fi, either go for an SB Live for £2.50, or get an XtremeGamer / Music - nothing else.

Get a better PSU, and don't bother with the 902.

Unless you t3h overclock master then go for a cheaper board, too.
I would recommend an ATI 4890 instead, they are cheaper than the GTX275 and pretty much on par with it in terms of performance.

You don't really need an aftermarket/third party cooler if your not looking at overclocking.

DFI boards are brilliant for overclockers as they practically have every setting you could wish to fine tune it, if your not going to be doing this then I would recommend a Gigabyte or Asus motherboard. I would also look at getting a P45 motherboard,

As for the processor, if your mainly going to be gaming go for a dual core, not a quad core. Most games at the moment don't make use of multi-core, something like the E8500, which is an excellent gaming CPU and the same price as the Q8400 you chose. Reason being the cores in the dual are clocked higher than the quads.

If the website sells them, I would very much recommend a 640GB Western Digital Black harddrive, these things are quick, quiet and very reliable.

Memory is pretty much weighing up the numbers, but I would recommend OCZ memory, they tend to be cheap with low timings and decent frequencies, so definately check them out if the website stocks that brand.

As for the PSU, I would really recommend a more expensive one. For the parts chosen a 550W will be a safe bet. Go for a relatively cheap one, possibly Akasa or again OCZ.

The case is a good choice, maybe to save money the Coolermaster Storm Scout.

EDIT
Oh yea and as Jakg said, the sound card is a bit meh. To be honest unless your finicky with sound, on board tends to be more than good enough.
Quote from LFSn00b :Well - this pc of mine, I admit it's starting to fail a lot more than before and seemingly I got a nice budget and thought of buying a new PC - possibly building it myself.

Here's a screenshot of the shopping cart from a site I used.

The GFX card was suggested by a friend of mine, and the DVD drive is just a cheap one as I rarely need a DVD drive, only for install disks.

EDIT: I will also need a CPU cooler, suggestions?

I've put together a list of components which would do the trick IMO. Probably a little bit cheaper and just as good.

Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Black ATX Case - No PSU
Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L iP45 Soc ... nel audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GH ... )) L2 Cache OEM Processor (Although the Q8400 looks very good too!)
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freez ... cket 775 Processor Cooler
Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM
Sapphire HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 Dua ... V Out PCI-E Graphics Card
OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 1066M ... HPC Edition Dual Channel
Sony AD-5200A-0B 20X DVD±RW/D ... DE Bare Black Drive - OEM
Antec TriCool 120mm DBB Case Fan

No doubt there's better DVD drives out there, but that one will do. That lot of components worked out at £675 which in euros is just under 790 Euros. I reckon that would make for a decent PC!
AMD is good for the mid range budget, nowadays. Go for a phenom II 720, 2x2gb ddr2 800, gigabyte 790x motherboard, 4890, Xigmatek aftermarket cpu cooler, and you've got yourself a great gaming computer that can OC to 3.7 on 1.5 vcore easily.
Quote from Joe_Keaveney :I've put together a list of components which would do the trick IMO. Probably a little bit cheaper and just as good.

Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Black ATX Case - No PSU
Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L iP45 Soc ... nel audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GH ... )) L2 Cache OEM Processor (Although the Q8400 looks very good too!)
Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freez ... cket 775 Processor Cooler
Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM
Sapphire HD 4890 1GB GDDR5 Dua ... V Out PCI-E Graphics Card
OCZ 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 1066M ... HPC Edition Dual Channel
Sony AD-5200A-0B 20X DVD±RW/D ... DE Bare Black Drive - OEM
Antec TriCool 120mm DBB Case Fan

No doubt there's better DVD drives out there, but that one will do. That lot of components worked out at £675 which in euros is just under 790 Euros. I reckon that would make for a decent PC!

Ok choices there just a few recommendations I would change:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148859 (Kingston ram, cheaper and better timings, so win win)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150247 (This HDD, its only 640GB but amazing speeds, the drive you choose was 5400rpm anyway)

Also you don't need the other case fan, so other than that yea good choices
Quote from MijnWraak :AMD is good for the mid range budget, nowadays. Go for a phenom II 720, 2x2gb ddr2 800, gigabyte 790x motherboard, 4890, Xigmatek aftermarket cpu cooler, and you've got yourself a great gaming computer that can OC to 3.7 on 1.5 vcore easily.

+1. That´s about what I just bought and I´m very happy with it.
Noctua NH-U12P (32 idle/43 load) and PC1066.
Finally some HD´s you put in a fast RAID.
#8 - Jakg
£94 for a case? You can pick up the 900 (which is very very similar) for £45-£50 on eBay, or as low as £30 if you put some legwork in.

The 902 might be a good case, but if it feels as cheap as the 900 i'd feel conned for £100...
Quote from Jakg :£94 for a case? You can pick up the 900 (which is very very similar) for £45-£50 on eBay, or as low as £30 if you put some legwork in.

The 902 might be a good case, but if it feels as cheap as the 900 i'd feel conned for £100...

Yeah well to be honest I only specced it with the 902 becuase he mentioned it in the original post. Myself, I'd go for the Antec Sonata III Case with 500W EarthWatts PSU combo (£95 for both case & PSU), it would save a packet on the build cost and the quality is top notch.
Hi LFS noob,

I am always giving couple of question to a person who asking me for a recomendation or building his new system so I can offer him/her the best what suits he/she needs:

- Whats your budget?
- What will be the main purpose of using it? (games,video editing/picture editing, anything else or combination)
- How often you exchange the PC completly?

Thanks for answering so I can make some offers to you.

Rgrds

New PC - suggestions?
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG