The online racing simulator
Force Feedback.
(40 posts, started )
101% in profiler and 100% in game (sometimes I have to set it to 85% depending on the specific setup of the GTR im drieving -locked diferential in FXR most of the cases hehe-)
101% in profiler and 25-50% in game according to the car, track and my liking (overall pretty low to reduce noise).
It is not about the strength, but the feeling.

Very high FFB tend to give you a poor feedback - on/off style, because of the "clipping" / cutting out larger effects when you already are at 100% of the FFB capacity of the wheel.

Experiment, and find your own.
Quote from morpha :Yep I think they fixed it with 5.02.
My settings:
Overall: 100%
Spring: 0%
Damper: 0%
Centering spring: 0%
Ingame: 100%

same!

Quote from Mille Sabords :101% in profiler and 25-50% in game according to the car, track and my liking (overall pretty low to reduce noise).
It is not about the strength, but the feeling.

Very high FFB tend to give you a poor feedback - on/off style, because of the "clipping" / cutting out larger effects when you already are at 100% of the FFB capacity of the wheel.

Experiment, and find your own.

you may be right
Anyone with their FF set over 40% in-game is losing quite a bit of FF info at high G's, which is when you really need that info. You're just clipping the FF signal because the FF motor can't generate the forces being asked of it. It just sits there pegged at max force.

I tend to use about 20-30%.
Quote from Forbin :Anyone with their FF set over 40% in-game is losing quite a bit of FF info at high G's, which is when you really need that info. You're just clipping the FF signal because the FF motor can't generate the forces being asked of it. It just sits there pegged at max force.

aha! i use the g25 as my name implies! (dual force feedback motors)
Quote from Forbin :Anyone with their FF set over 40% in-game is losing quite a bit of FF info at high G's, which is when you really need that info. You're just clipping the FF signal because the FF motor can't generate the forces being asked of it. It just sits there pegged at max force.

I think it is able to generate quite a bit more force than 30%.. You can easily feel the difference between 50% and 70%, suggesting that the power increase up to 70% still didn't quite peak. I might be wrong at high speeds though Anyway, I do run 30% ingame normally
Well I think that needs to be addressed and fixed if that's the case. I mean, why have a % setting when it just clips over a certain point. Shouldn't the FFB input be a certain max allowable amount that the input would not exceed?

Or is this a logitec oversight?
It's a hardware limitation. The game is perfectly capable of transmitting a clean signal with high amplitude. The motor just can't cope.
The FFB settings would be different for each car and each setup. Suspension geometry and weight affect the FFB a lot, weight can also come with 'downforce' if the car has that.

Here's the problem with force feedback. We do not see the actual percentage of force feedback sent to the wheel. Thats why we can't tell if you need 10% or 40% or 100% in the LFS menu in order to truly maximize the force levels.

Set it too high and you'll get clipping; for example in a downforce car you wouldn't feel the difference between a 80 and 120mph corner, which you certainly would in real life due to the downforce. Set it too low and in general the forces might be weaker than desired.

Since the G25 is such a weak wheel, even though its probably about the best we have, I suspect lots of folks run too high FFB settings in LFS, just as it gives them a 'meaty' feeling. When a G25 feels 'meaty' though, you're likely to run FFB levels so high that even minute steering would generate 100% forces on the wheel.

Same for iRacing and rFactor, lots and lots of people running what is basically an on/off switch for force feedback. In LFS i rarely used more than 25%. With the Fz50 and some caster, even that caused considerable clipping of the FFB signal! In iRacing often the ideal value could be below 10.

At least rFactor with realfeel allows you to set the FFB levels per car, so that does require a minute of tweaking but then when you switch cars you don't have to change the FFB.

I've been on LFS and iRacing forums asking for a ''True FFB %'' meter, like a FPS counter so you can see when that number exceeds 100%, your FFB wheel won't deliver any higher forces.
Keep in mind that not all wheels are built the same...even if they are the same model.

I have access to 2 DFP's and a G25 and they all differ quite a bit. The difference between the G25 and DFP was expected, but not the one between the DFP's.

My personal wheel is a DFP and I generally set profiler to 55 and ingame 15-25 depending on the car. (Awful setting, I know...but it works)
Anything more in profiler and it's an on/off feeling, regardless of what's set in LFS (unless it's too low and essentially off) Anything over 30 in-game and I literally can't control the wheelforces.

The other DFP is perfect at 100 profiler and about 10-20 ingame, depending on car/setup. Same model produced within a year of each other.

The g25 on the other hand is perfect at 100 profiler and 25-40 in LFS and feels really week bellow the 25 mark.

What I'm trying to say is there is no golden rule.
Use what works for you and your wheel and use others suggestions only as a guide rather then rule.
If it allows you to control the car as well as you wish to, and feels realistic enough to you, it's good.

BTW, does anyone wish for a larger wheel?
I've always had the need/desire for a fairly larger wheel that would compare to my track car wheel size but never found it's existence. (I don't use wheels too small...personal preference I guess. I use a 355 or 365, depending on track, conditions, mood?)

Maybe it's time to modify my DFP.
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :The FFB settings would be different for each car and each setup. Suspension geometry and weight affect the FFB a lot, weight can also come with 'downforce' if the car has that.

Here's the problem with force feedback. We do not see the actual percentage of force feedback sent to the wheel. Thats why we can't tell if you need 10% or 40% or 100% in the LFS menu in order to truly maximize the force levels.

Set it too high and you'll get clipping; for example in a downforce car you wouldn't feel the difference between a 80 and 120mph corner, which you certainly would in real life due to the downforce. Set it too low and in general the forces might be weaker than desired.

Since the G25 is such a weak wheel, even though its probably about the best we have, I suspect lots of folks run too high FFB settings in LFS, just as it gives them a 'meaty' feeling. When a G25 feels 'meaty' though, you're likely to run FFB levels so high that even minute steering would generate 100% forces on the wheel.

Same for iRacing and rFactor, lots and lots of people running what is basically an on/off switch for force feedback. In LFS i rarely used more than 25%. With the Fz50 and some caster, even that caused considerable clipping of the FFB signal! In iRacing often the ideal value could be below 10.

At least rFactor with realfeel allows you to set the FFB levels per car, so that does require a minute of tweaking but then when you switch cars you don't have to change the FFB.

I've been on LFS and iRacing forums asking for a ''True FFB %'' meter, like a FPS counter so you can see when that number exceeds 100%, your FFB wheel won't deliver any higher forces.

But again, it isn't actually the value clipping in the software - it just seems that the G25 motor hits a point where it is no longer able to follow along with the values given to it.
I run my FFB with my G25 at 100 in profiler and 101 in LFS. Is that way too much? I have nothing to compare to as i have never driven a real car.
I think that it is too much. Try to set it to 40-50, in some cases 60%.
#39 - Byku
I use 101% and 720* in profile, and thanks to scripts my LFS automaticly changes ff from 25(GTR cars) to 55(UF1) depending on the car.
Quote from RasmusL :But again, it isn't actually the value clipping in the software - it just seems that the G25 motor hits a point where it is no longer able to follow along with the values given to it.

I'd imagine it's both, tbh. You have a torque applied to the steering column which has no true bound, you have to set some arbitary value as maximum, so I'd imagine you have something like (massively simplified of course):

In game:

ffbSignal = steeringColumnTorque * ffbGameStrength * torqueConstant;
ffbSignal = Limit(ffbSignal, -maxSignal, maxSignal);

In driver:

ffbVoltage = ffbSignal * ffbProfilerStrength * voltageConstant;
ffbVoltage = Limit(ffbVoltage, -maxVoltage, maxVoltage);

And there's the hardware limitation of the motor on top of that, for both maximum torque provided and the fidelity of the feeling.

Force Feedback.
(40 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG