The online racing simulator
[Help] I can't get my FBM below 1:15.70 at BLGP1 (Replay and Setup included)
Hello there,

There are probably 10002039 topics about this subject. Still, as everyone is different from eachother, I decided to start a new topic.
The thing is, I'm relatively new to LFS with about 1 week of driving experience. And now i have a 'problem?'

The point is, when I drive my FBM At BL GP1, I can't lap it faster than about 1:15.70, so I included a replay, with some faults in it ofcourse, but there is a lap where I'm driving 1:15.89 or something. I really really really want to know where I lose my speed with this custom setup.

I'm really looking forward to some helpfull comments and tips!

Thanks in advance,

Mike

EDIT: I am using a Logitech G25 wheel
Attached files
FBM_G25 Race BL1.set - 132 B - 908 views
Lap Analyse.mpr - 305.7 KB - 229 views
#2 - oli17
using a wheel?
Quote from oli17 :using a wheel?

Logitech G25

Sorry for letting away that info.
I'l edit it right away
#4 - oli17
practise then i'd say. press 4 to get the racing line, and just push it. also, F9 shows tire temps, try to get them green all the way through for best grip. also, use hotlap analyser - http://www.lfsworld.net/rafa/ and compare it to the WR to see where you're going wrong.

hope this helps and good luck
Quote from oli17 :practise then i'd say. press 4 to get the racing line, and just push it. also, F9 shows tire temps, try to get them green all the way through for best grip. also, use hotlap analyser - http://www.lfsworld.net/rafa/ and compare it to the WR to see where you're going wrong.

hope this helps and good luck

Hey,

Thanks, in a race I always make sure I have the racing line and tire Temp up my screen! Somehow I just can't work it out why there's a car behind me, coming from nowhere... Or it seems it comes from nowhere and rockets away from me.

I have Lap analyser! But, I can't find the right files to compare hehe
It doesn't work with MPR or SPR. So what to do then?
#6 - oli17
replay the lap u want analysed, and the lap before your fastest lap, press Esc and then Output data (or something similar), then watch that lap all the way through, and when its done, go to lfs->data>raf, and there will be your hotlap thing. upload that to hotlap analyser and compare it with any others already uploaded. ok?
Quote from oli17 :replay the lap u want analysed, and the lap before your fastest lap, press Esc and then Output data (or something similar), then watch that lap all the way through, and when its done, go to lfs->data>raf, and there will be your hotlap thing. upload that to hotlap analyser and compare it with any others already uploaded. ok?

That makes sense dude!

Thanks,

anyone other has advises?
#8 - oli17
what u mean? have you done that, because that's the best way to compare your lap and see where you're going wrong.
I see, at the right-left-right section after the backstraight you are far away from the curbs. And having the race line on is now the best way to learn a track. If you know the track enough it's better to find yourself out how to drive the fastest line for your driving style.

And driving fast isn't the only important thing - the lap 1, backstraight thing was unnecessary. Leave him some space and drive a bit more on the right, but don't just push him away.
Quote from khoianh94 :I see, at the right-left-right section after the backstraight you are far away from the curbs. And having the race line on is now the best way to learn a track. If you know the track enough it's better to find yourself out how to drive the fastest line for your driving style.

And driving fast isn't the only important thing - the lap 1, backstraight thing was unnecessary. Leave him some space and drive a bit more on the right, but don't just push him away.

I recon that yes! I said sorry already. He was faster then me and he moved a little left and I a little right, so we appologized to eachother! I learn from those mistakes

I will try to improve some more with my raceline.

BTW: isn't there an option, that you can lay down the race line of someone else's lap. Like for example the raceline with brake and throttle points from the WR?
Quote from DamiVaro :
BTW: isn't there an option, that you can lay down the race line of someone else's lap. Like for example the raceline with brake and throttle points from the WR?

Unfortunately no.
First of all, that was a really dirty move on lap 1.

As for your driving, I think the general problem is you haven't figured out that the pedals are your 2nd and 3rd steering wheels. You're trail braking, that's good, but you're not using the brake in such a way that it cures understeer, and you're not recognizing the throttle at all as the 2nd wheel.

I think, in general, you're over-slowing corners by trail braking too heavily. That makes you get on the gas early and as a result you never had a good exit from any important corners. Throttle pick-up should be at or a hair before the apex, not in the middle of the entry phase. Trail the brake nice and light and focus on bringing your cornering speed up. The faster you go, the lighter you need to trail brake to get the car to rotate. Right now, you're driving the car like a kart.

As for your lap(s):

Turn 1: brake later, at the crest of the hill, and really ease the brake on. It's like turn 8 at Laguna. The car is light from negative Gs and you need to be gentle. You'll see the car stop much better. Once it settles make sure to get back to full pressure. You can also carry more speed into turn 1 and go a bit wider on the exit. This will set up turn 2 better.

Turn 2: as I said, you need a better set up here. Come in later at a higher angle with a later apex. You should be nearly perpendicular to the inside of the road after the apex, but not quite. This will set you up much better for turn 3. I don't think you need a later turn in, the extra width from the faster turn 1 should handle that, just focus on getting the car at a nice and late angle.

Turn 3: on your average lap, you were way too early here. The faster the corner, the earlier you need to apex, but this is a 3rd gear corner so it's not that fast - you shouldn't be apexing that early. Most of the time you lifted the throttle while in the corner. You're only doing about 75 here, so the aero isn't working at all. Lift AS you turn in, you'll get a snappier change of direction and you will have a settled race car mid-corner.

Turn 4: use of the previous lines will help you use less curb here. Contrary to what most people do online, you don't need to use any of that curb and you'll probably be more consitent as a result.

Turn 5: you looked okay through here. I'd go a little lighter on the trail brake and focus on more rolling speed. This is one of those corner where you really shouldn't hold the brake too long. Get the slip angle, then let it sit with neutral throttle until the pickup point (probably about 5-10 feet before the apex).

Turn 6: looks good. Could apex a bit later by about a foot or two. That might take away the "oh my God there's a left coming up turn turn turn!" syndrome while not affecting your exit speed by that much (0.2 MPH or so).

Turn 7 (just before pit-in): really bad exits in here. Get all the way out and straddle the rumble strip. You could probably take this in low 4th gear. You'll have plenty of time to get over for 7. Don't be so heavy on the brake initially. You're hurting your turn-in.

Turn 8: Again, don't lift in the corner, lift as you turn in. You'll be much more consistent through there. Use the rumble strip as your timing device for that.

On your last lap you had a couple of instances where you went wide but stayed on the throttle. Adding steering lock and staying on the gas will just make things worse. Maintain the steering angle and come off the gas or rub the brake with your left foot.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: just took a look at your setup, bring that brake balance more towards the rear. Add 1% increments until you slow down. You should be looking at 45/55 distribution with a low-downforce setup. You may need to change the aero balance with it. It will make the car touchier and twitchier, but just add rear brake balance until you feel uncomfortable.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG