The online racing simulator
The most realistic view is that you just see the track nothing more. We should maybe force that

I have my wheel infront of me. My hands also. So the cockpit view is the most unrealistic to me at present

The first picture is actually a pretty realistic view. Ok granted the view should be moved abit down and to left but yeah thats what I mostly need to have on my screen if the other part are before my monitor.
Quote from Sawyer :The most realistic view is that you just see the track nothing more. We should maybe force that ...

Good Idea !!! .... .... maybe when LFS will be a Kart Simulator
Actually I was talking more about a view like that.
http://freeweb.siol.net/denisbr5/LFSview.jpg

Now can you honestly say this is not the most realistic view

btw. where is the hide hands and wheel button hidden? I cant seems to find it anymore.
Quote from Sawyer :Actually I was talking more about a view like that.
http://freeweb.siol.net/denisbr5/LFSview.jpg

Now can you honestly say this is not the most realistic view

it is real for an old man who drives with his eyes near to the steering wheel

Quote from Sawyer :
btw. where is the hide hands and wheel button hidden? I cant seems to find it anymore.

wait the next turn and you'll see one of them
lol you arsh
Human eyes can only see a small area of about half inch, by half inch area, so when we see it in our computer screen the whole view is smooshed into out small monitors, unless you have a nice 40", but even then that is flat.

Our eyes have peripheral vision that monitors can't simulate. The triple monitor approach is getting closer, but I can't stand the gaps between the monitors, when watching movies. Maybe with cars the gaps can represent the pillars, so that's more tolerable.

I can't wait till we can wear a lightweight VR head gear that turns as we turn our heads to see the mirrors and the cars beside us, then this FOV view discussion can be resolved. :-)
#33 - Woz
I dont care about cockpit view for Hardcore Mode. I just want it that the server is configured so that

NO mid race joins.
NO jump to pits button.
NO race restart button
End race ONLY selectable by people in current race.
NEW retire from race button.

Just to make sure people take more care and worry about their actions in T1
It's amazing how often the old 'forced cockpit view' debate comes up. I run a GTL server with forced cockpit view and it's invariably full. I can recall maybe half a dozen times when someone has joined, said 'Oh no, cockpit view!', and left. This also applies to netKar Pro where you have no choice, cockpit or nothing! The same goes for driving aids, on Dead Men Racing (GTL) it's set to 'Professional' that is with NO aids at all. Only auto clutch allowed. Never hear a gripe though.
Quote from Woz :
NO mid race joins.
NO jump to pits button.
NO race restart button

i agree
Quote from Woz :I dont care about cockpit view for Hardcore Mode. I just want it that the server is configured so that

NO mid race joins.
NO jump to pits button.
NO race restart button

Agreed. And I'd like to add:

NO F9 view
NO F10 view

I wouldn't mind cockpit view being enforced, but I would hope that adjustments to field of view would not be restricted since that is very dependant upon personal preference, monitor size, monitor aspect ratio, etc.
Quote from Doorman :It's amazing how often the old 'forced cockpit view' debate comes up. I run a GTL server with forced cockpit view and it's invariably full. I can recall maybe half a dozen times when someone has joined, said 'Oh no, cockpit view!', and left. This also applies to netKar Pro where you have no choice, cockpit or nothing! The same goes for driving aids, on Dead Men Racing (GTL) it's set to 'Professional' that is with NO aids at all. Only auto clutch allowed. Never hear a gripe though.

Possibly most of those who would use wheels view don't play those games for that very reason. LFS caters to all types and is better for it imo.

In the almost three years I've been playing LFS I'm yet to hear a real solid reason for such things as a hardcore mode and that covers many long discussions/arguments. To be honest I think it's more about certain people being able to feel hardcore (I'm generalising and not pointing at anyone in particular here).
FCV is a perfect case in point, it is solely a matter of opinion as to whether cv is more realistic than something like wheels view but the "hardcore" have made up their mind and be damned with anyone else.

Anyway, I think we already have a hardcore mode in LFS and it's called league racing
Quote from Cue-Ball :
NO F9 view
NO F10 view

Except pit stops
Quote from Pablo.CZ :Except pit stops

That brings up an interesting question.

If i'm racing along and come into the pits for fuel, then I hit F9 to see my tire wear and realize they're worn more than I thought, or are hotter than I thought, can I still change tires during that pit stop or would I have to tell the game to change tires, then pit AGAIN to actually have it done? Also, since there's no way to tell the game NOT to fix damage, having the F10 key work wouldn't matter. As soon as you pit the car would get fixed.
Quote from Cue-Ball :If i'm racing along and come into the pits for fuel, then I hit F9 to see my tire wear and realize they're worn more than I thought, or are hotter than I thought, can I still change tires during that pit stop or would I have to tell the game to change tires, then pit AGAIN to actually have it done?

My suggestion: first line in F12 (Pit instructions) will be "Start/Wait", default is always Start. If you arrive to pit stop and this option is "Start", everything will be the same as it is now. If "Wait", you have time to check F9 and F10, dedide what to repair and then change Wait to Start command for pit crew. This take longer time, but this is penalty for you didnt know what you want and lost time haggling with pit crew.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Also, since there's no way to tell the game NOT to fix damage, having the F10 key work wouldn't matter. As soon as you pit the car would get fixed.

Today no, but I hope options for fix car will be added, we should be prepared for this.
The LFS community can already be fragmented into groups such as Road vs. Race, Open-Wheel vs. Tin-top, Drift vs. Grip, etc. Do you really want to take each of those small groups and fragment them further by alienating people who use more arcadish views or mice/kb's but nonetheless are fast and safe and legitimate members of the community same as you?

Didn't think so...
Quote from mrodgers :I completely disagree with this hardcore mode everyone wants. There is no advantage to running LFS anyway you want with the exception of if there were driver aids. If someone wants to use top-down view, so be it. Sure he could see what is in the general vicinity around him, but he can't "feel" the car like we can in cockpit view with the visual cues of the environment moving around outside the windshield and the way the car / driver's head moves around from g-forces and such. If you want to get hardcore, then I say FOV should be forced at 60% like I use, because that gives you an accurate representation of you're actual view with correct perspective. But most have disagreed in the past because they can't see their mirrors or beside them as well. Well, I can't see my mirrors or beside me very well with my periferal vision when looking straight out the windshield and the perspective is all wrong, so 90% FOV is unrealistic and shouldnt' be allowed, IMO. Now that would get most everyone who wants hardcore mode in an uproar if they were forced to use 60 FOV.

It's all opinions on what is better and what is realistic.

60 deg FOV does not represent a true view either unless your face is about 1 foot from the monitor, or you've got a REALLY big screen.
#43 - Woz
Quote from RacingSimFan :The LFS community can already be fragmented into groups such as Road vs. Race, Open-Wheel vs. Tin-top, Drift vs. Grip, etc. Do you really want to take each of those small groups and fragment them further by alienating people who use more arcadish views or mice/kb's but nonetheless are fast and safe and legitimate members of the community same as you?

Didn't think so...

Depends on why people want hardcore more. Tire wear and car damage add more risk to contact but no fear of crashes as you have IRL.

My take is that the harder you make it to restart a race etc the more risk there is when you make contact that your race is over and you have to spectate until the next race. This will change the way people drive T1 or overtake in general.

If you own RBR you will understand what I mean by mental cost to crashes. When in a rally season in RBR there is no restart stage option. You crash and kill the car and its no points for that country so move on to the next country. Only way to restart a stage is to start the whole season again from the very begining. So once you have completed a number of stages the time invested to get that far makes the mental cost of a crash become a big factor in how you drive.
^^ I was talking about the original ideas of forcing cockpit view and banning driver aids.

I agree that the people who drive into T1 with their heads up their asses and then vote a restart need to be put in their place but that is already possible with an InSim feature that implements a delay before Restart voting is allowed.

But forcing people to drive in a way they're not comfortable with as the original poster suggests is a bad idea that will only drive people away from certain servers.
#45 - Gunn
Quote from RacingSimFan :But forcing people to drive in a way they're not comfortable with as the original poster suggests is a bad idea that will only drive people away from certain servers.

I think it will attract people to certain servers.
-
(RacingSimFan) DELETED by RacingSimFan
Quote from Gunn :I think it will attract people to certain servers.

But there's no performance advantage to driving in one of the other views and all this does in the end is fragments the community; a community that already reeks of snobbish elitism at times.

"If u dont drive cockpit view then ur a stupid noob who should learn or go play NFS:U!!!"

Seriously, is it beneath some here to just live and let live, or more appropriately, 'race and let race'?

You worry about your car; I'll worry about mine.

Please oh please don't force your ideals on other people.
Quote from RacingSimFan :But there's no performance advantage to driving in one of the other views .....

What? ... are you sure?

The more "way" you can see the more advantage you have.
Driving in cockpit view you can see less "way" in front of you then all the other views
Quote from Vaillant :I dont understand this "visual" in a race-sim ( see ... Too Easy.gif )
It's so .... unrealistic!!!
Please give us the opportunity to choose an hardcore mode when we host a game, so to have locked in-car view and no driving aids

It will be a great think too, if rank "understands" if your lap have been played in hardcore mode

ooh, dang I'm glad you don't have any influence on the Developers.

In the real world we have 180grades of view, but in LFS we only have a little over 100, but even then it wouldn't bee the same, I have paid for the game, and I want to play it MY way.
Quote from Gunn :I think it will attract people to certain servers.

Yep, it will attract the "banned" people to the servers allowing them to race.

Anyway, this have been discussed several times allready, its NOT going to happen.
#50 - Gunn
Quote from MyBoss :Yep, it will attract the "banned" people to the servers allowing them to race.

Anyway, this have been discussed several times allready, its NOT going to happen.

What "banned" people?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG