The online racing simulator
Restricted NASCAR engine performance
(48 posts, started )
this is very interesting bob!
Yes:
Attached images
nascardf.PNG
Sweet. It'll be interesting to have a play about with this if you can get the license check working.

A little more on topic, have you ever looked at the intake restriction on WRC cars? They have been fitted for years with differing sizes of air restrictor (34 or 32mm at the moment) which cut power to about 330bhp from anything as much as 540bhp depending who you listen to.
I've not heard about WRC cars having 540hp, perhaps they were thinking of division 1 rallycross cars. The target since Group B (which they waited for several to be killed before it was banned) has been 300hp, I'd guess it's somewhere in the region of 300-350hp. But with more torque than you can shake a very large stick at.

I guess you'll be able to adjust the right/left weight balance but not the user, sadly adjustable wedge looks like a non-starter. Adjustable wedge or not, it's still a big stock car that will produce big brown underpants on road courses.
Quote from duke_toaster :I've not heard about WRC cars having 540hp, perhaps they were thinking of division 1 rallycross cars. The target since Group B (which they waited for several to be killed before it was banned) has been 300hp, I'd guess it's somewhere in the region of 300-350hp. But with more torque than you can shake a very large stick at.

I meant they'd could be over 500 if they didn't have the restrictor.
I've set the wedge to maximum (which really isn't all that much, the rules specificy a minimum of more than 49% on the right, before the driver gets in), and you are correct there is no facility for the user to adjust this. I could allow control over the (longitudinal) weight distribution by shaving say 150kg off the weight of the car, then using an appropriate mass handicap to bring the car back up to the minimum weight specs. But that's too easy to abuse online, and I'm not going to the hassle of writing an insim program to check for this and boot people appropriately. Although if someone else wants to do that for their server, it could prove interesting. I'm still going to need volunteers for people to run a modded server or two, but no doubt that will sort itself out once I've posted the app.
I can't help you with server hosting, but I imagine many people can. I'd be happy to use said servers, or test it offline, or anything useful.

Amp, 500hp+ without a restrictor would sound logical. That's the sort of power for a Division 1 RX car.
I would love to help out with the server issue, but you can't use mods through 500servers (AFAIK), and I would rather it go through a hosting company, not off someones PC if you catch my drift.

Oh and, what car model does it look like?
If it's a COT, wouldn't they all look the same and it would just be a skinning issue? I'd imagine the answer is that it looks like a hax0red LFS car.
pics or it didnt happen :P
lol or a movie either one is good. But it sounds like a interesting project.
Quote from PMD9409 :Oh and, what car model does it look like?

It's not allowed to change the car body, so it still uses the XRT body from which it evolved.

Quote from AstroBoy :pics or it didnt happen :P

I fixed up the licence checking last night, so I'm waiting for another moderator to approve it now (I feel it would be abuse of my powers to approve my own mod) and then I can release, so you can try it for yourself. I'm working on a small webpage and the readme now.
Wait... Is that your tweak coming out or am I dreaming?

This got me more excited then a patch
come on mods! other than bob XD
Quote from Bob Smith :(I feel it would be abuse of my powers to approve my own mod)

Yay for the LFSforum not being corrupt!
it would be great if LFS get's Nascar look a like cars! also Karts and legend GT/touring cars would be nice! *cough* and easier to make then scirocco *cough* Joke..

keep up the great work BOB!
Any chance of X10 being uploaded so it can be redownloaded?
I'll provide links in the new thread, should another moderator actually come on the forums today... probably because the forum has been well behaved and there haven't been any reported posts.
we could report one of your posts if youd like
I'm not a mod, but if you want me to provide a second opinion until a mod can provide the third you're more than welcome Bob.
One of the dyno tests, from 2007 after the atlanta race, courtesy of jayski.com:

#44-Dale Jarrett's car topped the chart with 799 horsepower through the rear wheels. #17-Matt Kenseth's car was second with 798 horsepower, followed by the #99 (792 hp), #42 (788hp), #20 (787hp), #22 (787hp), #2 (786hp) and finally Sunday's winner, #48-Jimmie Johnson, whose car measured 779hp, but that was after his massive burnout on the frontstretch at AMS.

The only horsepower numbers jayski has for restricted engines though, are from 2004;

NASCAR tested six cars on the chassis dyno after the Aaron's 499 at Talladega Superspeedway: #12-Dodge, #42-Dodge, #24-Chevy, #8-Chevy, #21-Ford and #6-Ford. Reports are that the #21 Ford was at 419 measured bhp and the #8-Chevy at 415 bhp at the rear wheels. No word on the rest of the results.
Excellent info, thanks.

Restricted NASCAR engine performance
(48 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG