The online racing simulator
Replays - Force Feedback
(26 posts, started )
Replays - Force Feedback
Hi there guys, I've been thinking in many ways to improve the LFS experience, and I would like your opinions in this one.

The idea is to improve the teaching/showing of LFS in-track feedback to some beginners. You know, there's always a friend of yours, a brother, a girlfriend or whatever, who want to play and see whats about LFS, so the idea is to simply enable Force Feedback during MPR.

As a result, imagine how simple can it be to show how a car feels under heavy braking, during cornering, or even when in contact with other car during a race. This would make teaching much more easy or interesting for beginners

I would like to know your opinions about this.

Tks
Would be quite epic

Perhaps a multiplayer option too some day in the future?
#3 - J@tko
Quote from Koa128 :Hi there guys, I've been thinking in many ways to improve the LFS experience, and I would like your opinions in this one.

The idea is to improve the teaching/showing of LFS in-track feedback to some beginners. You know, there's always a friend of yours, a brother, a girlfriend or whatever, who want to play and see whats about LFS, so the idea is to simply enable Force Feedback during MPR.

As a result, imagine how simple can it be to show how a car feels under heavy braking, during cornering, or even when in contact with other car during a race. This would make teaching much more easy or interesting for beginners

I would like to know your opinions about this.

Tks

And also, if you've downloaded the WR replay, then you can get a feel for what they do too. +1
Quote from J@tko :And also, if you've downloaded the WR replay, then you can get a feel for what they do too. +1

Hmm, I didn't see that possibility... I don't know if WR guys would like to share that kind of info to others. I don't mind sharing that, but that's only me and others are totally rightfull not to accept this.

So, MPR would be more than enough (at first instance) to fullfill the idea of FF enabled during replays as an addional feature of LFS.
MPR's are not smooth enough for this.

So what is the person going to do? Hold the wheel straight ahead and "feel what the driver feels"? Seems a bit silly to me. You're getting feedback on someone else's actions rather than your own. That's no way to learn.
Quote from Forbin :MPR's are not smooth enough for this.

So what is the person going to do? Hold the wheel straight ahead and "feel what the driver feels"? Seems a bit silly to me. You're getting feedback on someone else's actions rather than your own. That's no way to learn.

i agree, it really wouldnt help much.
but it would be pretty cool
Quote from Forbin :MPR's are not smooth enough for this.

But the MPR files you save from your race (your own LFS session), it's absolutely smooth I don't want to "feel" other cars FF, just my own.

And it's not %100 learning purpose, it's just to show off for newcomers to the game and people who don't ever play a FF wheel game
You mean SPR's, then.

SPR: Single-player Replay
MPR: Multi-player Replay

LFS Trivia
SPR used to be GST, which was probably short for ghost.
Hm no.

When I race, and I save a MPR, I watch later and yes, I see other cars with little struts and connection issues/lag, but never me. LFS has all the inputs I did during the race since I'm saving straigth to the MPR, the other drivers inputs enter the MPR data through packages, hence the "not-so-smooth" issue you mention, but the local player won't see any
When I view my own car from MPR's, my inputs are laggy like everyone elses. I'm just gonna blame it on dialup and forget it though.

I don't think this is a useful idea. My girlfriend or my nephew want to learn how to race, I'll let them have at it. Eventually they'll ask questions and I'll give them info.

I don't think you could learn something about racing by simply watching replays. There are so many more things you need in order to learn and retain useful knowledge of how to drive on the edge. Hell, it's my firm belief that you are in a different state of mind when watching a replay compared to when you're driving the car.

If it'll help some though, go for it. It would be kinda cool to set up a replay for someone to view then the steering wheel starts spazzing out. lol
Quote from Koa128 :Hm no.

When I race, and I save a MPR, I watch later and yes, I see other cars with little struts and connection issues/lag, but never me. LFS has all the inputs I did during the race since I'm saving straigth to the MPR, the other drivers inputs enter the MPR data through packages, hence the "not-so-smooth" issue you mention, but the local player won't see any

Hm no.
Ok, the idea is to get an optional FF option for replays, I think it would be a good extra feature.

Anyway, I can't think in any soft offering anything like this
Quote from Forbin :LFS Trivia
SPR used to be GST, which was probably short for ghost.

GeSTure, actually.
Quote from Shadowww :GeSTure, actually.

Could you link to where you got that from Shadoww?

I'm sure I remember in an older version of LFS (possibly pre S1), when spectating another driver the wheel would move on its own not sure it was a feature

SD.
If the feedback you receive is not a product of your own inputs on the car’s behavior, then what you get is meaningless… Just random rumbles and jerking forces or whatever.
What would it help if the wheel is turning from itself? The wheels react like this cause you force them to be in that certain place they are, not letting them naturally straighten out in a corner for example. If you don't apply the same forces yourself, the forces you get are pretty much meaningless.
I would like to see something like that, but there's the issue about FFB speed, even the G25 might be slow to pick up most high speed corrections, unless you mean to only show the FFB effects like going under a kerb or higher resistance to steer under braking, but that won't be very usefull.
OK kids, do this as an experiment.

Hook up a controller and get a mate to use that to drive. The FF will still effect the wheel. Hold the wheel while this is going on. It just feels like random jerking.
how can I get FF forces to Replay Analyzer? it would be helpful to analyze some strange behaviours. Some of them, like wobbling on straight, can be from loose wheel central position (wheel gets inputs on minimum turn and tries to straighten it up) to be fixed in wheel, another one is big shots from FF in one direction in the same points on track - still today unexplained for me. Replays would be helpful - for now I can only observe sharp maximum turn for a blink of a second.
Quote from GabbO :What would it help if the wheel is turning from itself? The wheels react like this cause you force them to be in that certain place they are, not letting them naturally straighten out in a corner for example. If you don't apply the same forces yourself, the forces you get are pretty much meaningless.

I don't know, when you drive online/live, the FF reacts to the path you make in realtime, but when you see a replay the soft already has the path driven before, and therefore the FF effect
read and try to understand

Quote from GabbO :What would it help if the wheel is turning from itself? The wheels react like this cause you force them to be in that certain place they are, not letting them naturally straighten out in a corner for example. If you don't apply the same forces yourself, the forces you get are pretty much meaningless.

There was no need to be rude pal... IMO I think this can be done togive an approx. idea of the FF job during a lap/race/etc.
I didn’t mean to be rude. You didn’t seem give any attention to many opinions stating the really obvious.
The feedback forces you get are relevant with the force you, as a driver, apply to the wheel.

If you are not a machine that copies the exact hand movements of the driver on the replay, then the forces you will get would be completely inaccurate and irrelevant to what you could get if you drove in the same conditions.
I am not going to continue arguing on this. If you can’t get it, I will not make you get it.
Well... I really don't want to extend my thoughts anymore, thing is that finding the right words isn't very easy, specially when I want to be rather specific while explaining and english is not my native language. I give up

Replays - Force Feedback
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG