The online racing simulator
Colin McRae Dirt 2 !
(522 posts, started )
i like it because i see the Ken Block subaru

i just love those Monster Energy livery's
Anyone notice the difference of shot 4 compared to the others? Notice the lack of AA? Owieeee...

Dont get your hopes up about the graphics guys. I think were going to have to wait until the next-gen of consoles/computers or maybe even the gen after to get that kind of detail, there just pure renders.
Aww man.... at least it still has a Evo X and a STI!

Can't wait to get my hands on the Hillclimb racers and legendary rally cars. I traded in DiRT because it kept freezing all the time, back when my 360 worked. Even when I got a second disc. hope DiRT 2 doesn't freeze alot on the PS3.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Aww man.... at least it still has a Evo X and a STI!

Can't wait to get my hands on the Hillclimb racers and legendary rally cars. I traded in DiRT because it kept freezing all the time, back when my 360 worked. Even when I got a second disc. hope DiRT 2 doesn't freeze alot on the PS3.

Well, Dirt has never frozen on my ps3.
-
((SaM)) DELETED by (SaM)
Those 5 "screenshots" are just concept art compositions. Why they're listed as screenshots puzzles me.

Although it's been done before with Toca Race Driver 3. Anyone remember this one?
DiRT was crap, contrary to people's expectations before the release, so this makes me convinced DiRT 2 is gonna be the square root of crap.
Quote from Jertje :I'll eat my own face if those are real-time ingame shots.

Seconded... If those are unedited, I will eat my own hands and beat myself to death with the stumps...
Well for your sake i hope they are not real
Excuse my french (no pun intended ) but it pisses me off the way game makers sometime put rendered video on there advert to pass it off as actual gameplay. NFS:Undercover is a good example of this. Fair enough, i know they sometimes put "not representative of actual gameplay" somewhere on the screen, but i doubt alot of the younger generation notice this, so they then buy the game, just to be dissapointed?

Same with screenys....its damn annoying!
Physics in each CMR game decreases as version number increases so all your hopes will die.

Biblical fail.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Excuse my french (no pun intended ) but it pisses me off the way game makers sometime put rendered video on there advert to pass it off as actual gameplay. NFS:Undercover is a good example of this. Fair enough, i know they sometimes put "not representative of actual gameplay" somewhere on the screen, but i doubt alot of the younger generation notice this, so they then buy the game, just to be dissapointed?

Same with screenys....its damn annoying!

*cough* I see no french in there o.O

More on topic, there's no way those are screenshots, simply no way. It would probably indeed require a NASA computer to run something this good looking with anything more than 0.01 fps.

p.s. oh hai, jj!
I remember thinking the GRID trailer was all pre rendered until I realised that you could see everything you saw in the trailer ingame.

These shots though are definitely just heavily touched up concept/promotional renders. The only one which looks at all plausible as a genuine screenshot is no.2, but since the others definitely aren't, then that one most likely won't be either.

Codemasters really need to start working on physics again. Their forums are always full of people complaining how unrealisticly the cars handle. Physics will(?) be a focus of the new F1 game, but dirt surfaces are a whole different ballgame again, and the CM series is recognised as more of an arcade series these days, the physics do seem to get worse over time. It's a shame, because they obviously spend so much time working on everything else. They need to rip out the cinematic stuff and the time/rewind thing and the useless dialogue (calling me by my real name was interesting for about a second) and focus on the car itself. And the nuclear bloom really does have to go

If people respond enthusiastically about the 'improved' phyics in the new F1 title, maybe Codemasters will finally realise what they need to do to be taken seriously again. A couple titles spent on graphics and crash damage is fine, but the series is getting very lop sided- physics really has to come to the fore. Why leave RBR (getting very old now) as the undisputed king of rally racing?

And like most of you guys it seems, I'm not holding my breath.
And they STILL can't beat RBR.....

What good is pretty if you not got physics? Might as well call it NFS Dirt
I couldn't stand the handling on the original. Understeer into corners, snap oversteer at the apex - same as Grid.

Those are "target renders". Basically that's what the designers use as a guide towards what they want the end result to look like. It won't look like that when it's done, but I'm sure with enough bloom they can blind people enough to think it does

I still think Colin McRae Rally 2.0 was the best one of the series.
I ALSO still think Colin McRae Rally 2.0 was the best one of the series.
Quote from Dajmin :I couldn't stand the handling on the original. Understeer into corners, snap oversteer at the apex - same as Grid.

Those are "target renders". Basically that's what the designers use as a guide towards what they want the end result to look like. It won't look like that when it's done, but I'm sure with enough bloom they can blind people enough to think it does

I still think Colin McRae Rally 2.0 was the best one of the series.

Without a doubt, I remember being amazed at the mud, by the end of a stage my car would be all dirty and it looked stunning back then. I've got GRID for the PC, and the handling is okay but miles away from a simulation. However on DIRT it's awful, you get no sense of driving on a loose surface on gravel, and tarmac driving is terrible. The only thing GRID and DIRT do really well is presentation and damage, they just need to get rid of the bloom and the game would look fine.
What looks so strange about that Donut? I don't think that is even ingame footage at the beginning, but I would still like to know why you think it looks strange.
Hard to explain it just looks like he in on tarmac with smoke behind him...
I am sure that smoke is meant to be the dust from the off-road surface. I think it actually looks pretty good, but I also believe that it isn't actual gameplay footage anyway. Hopefully the cars really do sound that good. Very accurate sounding Impreza Boxer engine there.
Pretty sure that ain't in-game photage, but more like a render teaser, at least the first part of it. Neverthless, hopefully it's a good game, but I'll wait til demo before making up my opinion.
Quote from The Very End :Pretty sure that ain't in-game photage, but more like a render teaser, at least the first part of it. Neverthless, hopefully it's a good game, but I'll wait til demo before making up my opinion.

Nowadays almost each game trailers are renders. Eye candy, got it?

What amuses me is how everyone starts shouting "OMG GRAPHICS ARE ÜBER!!111111111oneone" as soon the first movie is out. The chance it's all render and has nothing to do with the game and it's bahaviour is rellatively big
Codemaster seems to enjoy making half-asses render movies. Why not go the other way, if you first are to go for a render trailer, why not really make a good one? Instead of fooling unknowing people to belive THAT is the game? Guess their salesman could argue about that, but look at other games that makes cinematic trailers and such. Their quality is by far superior to codemaster's one(s), and people do know that's just a render trailer without meaning nessesarly it's negatively for the game.

Colin McRae Dirt 2 !
(522 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG