The online racing simulator
Flight AF 447 "disappears"
(134 posts, started )
Didn't see any thread about this so I'm creating one just for the news and comments.

Air France's Airbus A330 on flight AF 447 (Rio de Janeiro - Paris) has disappeared from all radars shortly after leaving the brazilian northeast coast. The plane took off yesterday at 23:03GMT (I guess) and would arrive in Paris 11 hours later (11:10 Paris time).

Seems like an automatic message from the aircraft was received at 03:14GMT confirming an eletrical failure, supposely during a thunderstorm. The brazilian navy is currently searching the sea for the aircraft.

There was 216 passengers on board: 126 men, 82 women, 7 children and a baby. Air France said it has no hope in finding the plane.

So sorry to those affected in any way by this event.
Air France Jet Is Feared Lost on Flight From Brazil to Paris
Report from NY Times:

PARIS — An Air France passenger jet traveling from Rio de Janeiro to Paris disappeared after its electrical systems malfunctioned during a storm with heavy turbulence on Sunday evening, and officials said Monday that a search had begun for the wreckage in a vast swath of the Atlantic Ocean.

The plane, an Airbus 330-200, was carrying 216 passengers, nine cabin crew members and three pilots, the airline said.

The plane took off from Galeão Airport in Rio de Janeiro at 7:30 p.m. local time (6:30 Eastern time), and its last verbal communication with air traffic control was at 10:33 p.m., when the pilots said they would enter Senegalese air space in 50 minutes, according to a statement from the Aeronautica, the agency in charge of Brazilian air space. At that time, the flight was at 35,000 feet and traveling 520 miles per hour.

About a half-hour later, the plane encountered an electrical storm with “very heavy turbulence,” an Air France spokeswoman, Brigitte Barrand, said. The last communication from the plane was 14 minutes later — an automatic message informing air traffic control of an electrical-system malfunction, Air France officials said in Paris.

The chief Air France spokesman, Francois Brousse, said “it is possible” that the plane was hit by lightning, The Associated Press reported.

Planes have been brought down by lightning strikes in the past, though it is rare. In 1988, a twin-engine turboprop FA-4 was struck by lightning in the skies over Germany and crashed, killing all 21 people aboard. In 2006, a plane carrying Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, was struck by lightning and had to land, his spokeswoman said at the time.

Brazilian officials said the plane disappeared over the Atlantic Ocean between the archipelago of Fernando de Noronha, 186 miles northeast of the coastal Brazilian city of Natal, and Ilha do Sal, one of the Cape Verde islands off the coast of Africa. It is a huge area of ocean three times the size of Europe, officials said.

The Brazilian Air Force sent two planes to search for wreckage, an air force spokesman, Col. Henry Munhoz, told O Globo television in Brazil, and Brazilian Navy ships were reported to also be joining the search.

The head of investigation and accident prevention for Brazil’s Civil Aeronautics Agency, Douglas Ferreira Machado, told O Globo that he calculated that, given its speed, the plane must have left Brazilian waters by the time contact was lost.

“It’s going to take a long time to carry out this search,” The A.P. quoted him as saying. “It could be a long, sad story. The black box will be at the bottom of the sea.”

All jets are built to withstand severe turbulence, especially at upper flying levels, as well as to withstand lightning strikes. The missing aircraft was relatively new, having gone into service in April 2005. Its last maintenance check in the hangar took place on April 16, 2009, Air France said in a statement.

Pilots are trained to try to avoid flying directly through thunderstorms, and instead try to find an opening in a storm front through which to guide their plane. Ms. Barrand said that the pilot of the missing jet was very experienced, having clocked 11,000 flying hours, including 1,100 hours on Airbus 330 jets.

The plane was scheduled to arrive at Paris’s Roissy Charles de Gaulle airport at 11:10 a.m. local time. President Nicolas Sarkozy of France expressed grave concern about the missing airliner and sent his transport and environment ministers to a special crisis center set up at the airport, where relatives of passengers were gathering. The president was due to arrive at the airport later Monday afternoon.

Among the passengers were 126 men, 82 women, seven children and an infant. Brazil’s Civil Aviation Authority said the release of names has been hampered because many passengers did not fill out the form on their tickets with names and numbers of next of kin or contacts. Radio reports in Brazil said that 37 percent of the passengers were Brazilian and 34 percent were French, and that the rest were other nationalities. Those reports were not initially confirmed by the airline.

French and Brazilian aviation authorities are expected to lead the investigation, but the United States National Transportation Safety Board may be involved if the plane had American-made engines or had any American passengers on board.

No Airbus 330-200 passenger flight has ever been involved in a fatal crash, according to the Aviation Safety Network, though the seven-person crew of a test flight died in a June 30, 1994, crash near Toulouse, France, where Airbus is based. The test was meant to simulate an engine failure at low speed with maximum angle of climb.

In October 2008, an A330 operated by Qantas on a flight from Singapore to Perth had to be diverted for an emergency landing near the Australian town of Exmouth after suddenly losing altitude. Dozens of passengers and crew members were injured.

Air France said that people in France seeking information about the flight could telephone 0800-800-812. For those calling from abroad, the number is 33-1-57-02-10-55.

Caroline Brothers reported from Paris, and Sharon Otterman from New York. Reporting was contributed by Alexei Barrionuevo from Buenos Aires, Micheline Maynard from New York, Brian Knowlton from Washington, and Andrew Downie from São Paulo, Brazil.
been following this story all day since it first appeared on the news, looks like it's going to be a worst-case scenario
Was reported on the SV owners site, been following that...

As I said there, I don't really care buttttttt...

NEW EPISODE OF AIR CRASH INVESTIGATION NO MORE REPEATS WOOOOO
Jamie, about as subtle as an earthquake as usual.

Lets hope they find the plane sooner rather than later, although i cant see there being many, if any survivors TBH.
Twas the triangle. Did swallow them up.

As jamie said about ACI, I also like aircrash investiagtion.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

I was thinking that whatever the outcome this would make for an interesting episode of it
Had an email from a mate who works offshore down there and was supposed to be on the plane back home today but got delayed 24 hours by his company. I've replied that he needs to give me 6 numbers for the lottery and we will split the winnings 65/35 in his favor.....

....he better not push his luck with me that's for sure.
The plane has been officialy anounced as "crashed"

Very little chance of any survivors.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Had an email from a mate who works offshore down there and was supposed to be on the plane back home today but got delayed 24 hours by his company. I've replied that he needs to give me 6 numbers for the lottery and we will split the winnings 65/35 in his favor.....

....he better not push his luck with me that's for sure.

holy crap that is lucky

(See attachment...)
Attached images
AF447.JPG
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

Was that necessary? I mean really?
#13 - 5haz
Strange lack of respect in this thread, everyone on that plane had friends and loved ones.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Was that necessary? I mean really?

Everybodies a critic.. have a sense of humour... like 4 people comment on my post and you have to pick fault.
#15 - 5haz
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Everybodies a critic.. have a sense of humour... like 4 people comment on my post and you have to pick fault.

Hmm well cracking a joke about a potentially fatal plane crash isn't very good taste is it?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :As I said there, I don't really care buttttttt...

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Everybodies a critic.. have a sense of humour... like 4 people comment on my post and you have to pick fault.

How the **** is that funny? Have some respect. You prove far too often how much of inconsiderate dickhead you are sometimes.
Are you guys surprised in any way?
Quote from 5haz :Hmm well cracking a joke about a potentially fatal plane crash isn't very good taste is it?

That wasn't a joke, it was an ignorant comment.

@de Souza: Always expect the disrespectful comments by Still14, I'm still surprised he isn't banned yet.
Quote from Luke.S :holy crap that is lucky

Well, we'll have to wait till the mid-week lotto draw to fin out how lucky.
He really needs a break, especially from himself.

On topic, the question im asking myself is how the heck can a plane just disappear? I mean, last time i checked, planes are pretty expensive and for aerial transportation corresponding GPS tracking devices aren't, at least comparatively to eachother.
Quote from DaveWS :How the **** is that funny? Have some respect. You prove far too often how much of inconsiderate dickhead you are all the time

fixed for you!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Was reported on the SV owners site, been following that...

I would be interested in know if you would care if someone from your family was there, before you post that kind of stupid comment.

OT: It's really weird how it desappeared like that and they can't found any part of the airplane around the sea. Let's wait and see if they can found what really happened there...
Didn't want to feed you but stop being such a nobcheese. We all know you do it just to get a little more attention for your ego. Your such a pussy, id like to see you say it to a relative of theirs and see if they find it funny. Grow the **** up!
Quote from 510N3D :On topic, the question im asking myself is how the heck can a plane just disappear? I mean, last time i checked, planes are pretty expensive and for aerial transportation corresponding GPS tracking devices aren't, at least comparatively to eachother.

Same here. I know next to nothing about those systems, but surely there has to be some data concerning speed, heading, altitude on the radars?
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Didn't want to feed you but stop being such a nobcheese. We all know you do it just to get a little more attention for your ego. Your such a pussy, id like to see you say it to a relative of theirs and see if they find it funny. Grow the **** up!

1) I don't do this for attention. Seriously stop thinking that.
2) I'm (you're??) not a pussy.
3) I actually would.

(134 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG