The online racing simulator
Round 2 of the Shannons National Series @ Phillip Island
Hey guys,
not sure why, but I figured I'd start a thread to introduce you all to a category in Australia called Commodore Cup. It was first born in the early 90's, and became quite popular until people moved onto bigger and better things. These days it's starting to be known as a feeder category for V8 Supercars, many ex-Commodore Cup drivers have progressed to V8's.
I'm competing my first season in Commodore Cup this year, although I missed the first round because we didn't have the car ready.
Round 2 was at Phillip Island (which I've never been to before), and after having only one test day (approx 20 laps at Winton), you could say I was slightly anxious to see how the weekend would prevail. Luckily most things pretty well, and I ended up qualifying 5th. Race 1 was wet and I've never driven in the wet before, and I made a terrible start (all wheelspin) and dropped to about 11th by turn one, I ended up making some positions back up and finished in 7th.
Race 2 was okay, I started 4th (top 10 reverse grid), dropped to about 7th after turn two, but got back up to 5th, and almost snatched 4th as the rain started to come down in the last few laps, but couldn't quite pull it off.
Race 3 I started off 5th, again, made a sloppy start (need practice!), got passed by 2 or 3 cars, and had a really good and enjoyable race.

Anyway, here's a short clip of some of the moments and race 3 from Phillip Island:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPZ1u48qZJ4
Nice report m8, look forward to hearing and seeing more in the future
#3 - amp88
Scotty, ya young Turk!

Great stuff...hope to see you in the Development Series or the V8 main game in a few years time. Can I haz tickets for Bathurst if you get there, plz?
cheers guys, haha it was my first interview!
yes, you may amp
I should probably add too, that I came out of about 5 or so years of kart racing, only 2 of them professional as we didn't really have any funding to do it, but it definitely helped. Although cars vs karts is like chalk and cheese, you really do learn a lot, not only racing experience.
Although I've had to totally adjust my driving style. I was very smooth in karts and used minimal lock everywhere, with these you have to be quite rough, mainly because of the susp package we have to use and the 'intermediate' tyres we all run. It will be great once we get the accel, brake and steering input hooked up to our datalogger so I can see exactly what I'm doing wrong, but I think there's still improvements we can do on the car, and we don't have the better gearbox everyone else is running, just the standard one. I would like to work on the setup though (with what we can play with anyway!) to hopefully find a setting where I don't have to be so rough, because at the moment it's quite understeery and you have to be on/off the throttle a lot and really drive the thing into corners, but once it's done understeering it snaps into oversteer
I just had time to look at the youtube footage, good stuff! Looks like you were having some good battles and making good friends on and off the track. Even old buggers in real life too eh but in real life they are faster meh I'm sure you will go on and see some good success this year! That is a great start to the year already for you, look forward to hearing and seeing more
#7 - Gil07
Awesome stuff Ducky

Was kinda expecting you to say "roffle", "mint" or "ayy" somewhere during that interview though

Josh Hughes, is that Arrow.?
#8 - amp88
Do they use a locked diff like the current V8s?
Great stuff Scott, I hope you improve your car, since your driving is cool and make it to V8 Supercars (World's best touring championship)
Awesome stuff Mr. Andrews (they need to call you Duck). Doing pretty well for your first round, good luck in the future.

@Gil: Josh Hughes sounded familiar to me too, thought the same.
Ayyyyyyyy! o/ Nice results, Ducky! Good luck in the future!
Great results for first time out, very well done! Look forward to seeing more. How much power do those things have?
OMGOMGOGMOGMG UR SO CUTE! next time u could say like "hi scipy, i wuv u".. that's the least u could do after everything..
Awesome - who needs F1 when you have have a bunch of Mad Aussies commentating on some huge V8 monstas

#15 - 5haz
2 top 10s = nice.

Nice one.
Quote from Gil07 :Awesome stuff Ducky

Was kinda expecting you to say "roffle", "mint" or "ayy" somewhere during that interview though

+1 to both.
DUCKEEEEEEEEEEE nice that a video has been made of this championship ermmm to see that you did well in you first round and first try of the car ermmm sure i seen a hard lockup from your car in race 3 @ the hairpin and ermmm glad you had fun ermmm oh nice fight in race 1 .
Weeeeee, THATS MY DUCKIEPOOO'S!!!!

It seems they used a stand-in Duckie for the interview, the duckie i know makes stupid quacking noises while other people are trying to be serious and conduct a proper programme

We need a 'Hi Mum' message to every single person who replies in this post for your next interview, and take that #12 out at every opportunity!!
I also agree with the earlier comment, it should be Duck & Arrow, not Andrews & Hughes, DONT THEY KNOW WHO YOU ARE???? :bowdown:
Quote from amp88 :Do they use a locked diff like the current V8s?

yeah, the diff is spooled

Quote from Minimaxman :Great results for first time out, very well done! Look forward to seeing more. How much power do those things have?

Thanks my car was almost 340hp, some of the top guys are pushing 350hp

thanks all for your lovely comments

oh, btw 5haz, for the record it was 3x top 7's.. hahah
Nice one Mr. Andrews :P. Great results for a first time! and a TV interview liek waoh!
GO BREADZ!!!! a
Aweshum stuff mate, good luck in the future with it,
Just watching it now, these commentators are geniuses, Parker getting all agricultural now, thats just genius, who would've though of that for a trip across the gravel trap
I envy you. There's no way average Americans would be interested enough to broadcast that. *sigh* my nation just doesn't seem to care about motorsport.

Good luck, I'll be watching this thread.
thanks mate. yeah well that's the main reason I chose this category, because it's the cheapest form of racing in Australia - other than karts (but some people are spending more than we do in a season on karts if they have the money) - and it has TV coverage!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG