The online racing simulator
G25 slack
(24 posts, started )
G25 slack
I bought a used G25 and am having some oddities. It might just be me as I have never used a wheel before, but here we go.

Problem is that there is some sort of a slack around the center position of the wheel. Like when going through left and right turns I have this resistants free movement ( about 30 degrees in total) when going from left to the right over the center or the other way around. Steering is accurate but there is this slack. Maybe it is normal, but you tell me.

From logitech profiler I have overall strenght set to 102%, everything else is zero and from the game I have FF set to 20.
Sounds like a faulty wheel to me. I have no such slack in my G25.
try setting ffb to 100% in lfs... works for me good too.

there will be some slack in the centre (it's not a deadspot), but shouldn't be as big as 30 degrees.
When the game is not running the wheel has nice even movement. It does get softer in the center, but it doesn`t have this sudden feel of resistance returning.
I was testing some last night and noticed that different cars and car setups, produce different amounts of "slack" in the center position, also this thread might help, it seems if you change the wheel rotation in the setup, this too can reduce the center slackness feeling, at least for me and some of my setups.

SD.
Do you have the wheel compensation set to 0?
can`t see such setting
open LFS, options/controllers, click axis/ff, you should see slider in the center of the screen.

SD.
All I can see there:
wheel steering angle 720
linearity 1.0
FF 20
button reaction time 10.0
gas/brake linearity 1.0
FF yes
remove dean zone no

And the slack isn`t really 30 degrees, I think its rather 20 at most. But still

I tried setting the wheel to 360 degrees but that didn`t help either.
it should look similar to this: http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Image:Controls.jpg

is it possible that wheel isn't selected? i don't remember a linearity setting.

try... 720 / 1.0 / 100 / separate / shifter and whatever the defaults are for the last two sliders.
Check 'Analogue steer smoth' under Options > Misc is set to zero. I read a similar thread on this recently, but think it's been deleted or moved.

I have FF set to 65, bit high but like to feel all the bumps lol, try raising it a bit, might feel less slack.

Cheers
also it sounds weird, but if you have vertical sync on in options>misc that can slow your steering down. turn that off if you have it on and you shouldnt have any slack
Is the problem with all driving setups? Maybe you have just have a setup with light steering (lots of toe-in?). get in a car with big front tyres and put your foot on the brake.. you should have a bit of resistance - especially if you're not moving.

Maybe bump up your in-game FF to 50 or 60%. 20 seems a bit light to me.

You can also download a free demo of games like GRID, or an NFS variant. I'd only be concerned for your G25 if the problem persisted across multiple games.
ok, no this is on logitechs website.

The slack in the middle is as the g25 has 2 ffb motors. If there was no slacknig postion they would constantly fight aginst each other, so logitech put a soft spot to avoid this hppening. It is perfectly ordinary.
I think rikkiewhitehead must be right as I can`t find any similiar problems from internet, I haven`t had much experiance with wheels and this explanation makes sense.
Quote from Kasjok :I think rikkiewhitehead must be right as I can`t find any similiar problems from internet, I haven`t had much experiance with wheels and this explanation makes sense.

No, not 30 degrees as you mentioned. A 30 degree total slack is not right.
As I said, it is not that much. think it is no more then 20.
Why don't you try setting linearity to zero?
Do you have deadzones enabled? If so, turn them off. There could be a deadzone in the centre of the wheel.
Sorry if this is obvious, but are you trying this while the car is moving? I only have a Momo black but I notice that the wheel behavior is correct when the car is rolling, but when it's parked it behaves strangely.
As Rikkiwhitehead says it is normal for G25 to have a slight dead spot in centre due to prevent the motors from 'fighting' each other, but that amount of slack appears excessive.
Try cranking it up in the profiler (or windows controllers) to 107% to see if that makes a difference. if not you may have a bad wheel.
Yup, its a well known issue with the G25. Anyone who says they don't have this 'deadzone' on their G25 hasn't tried a DFGT. Try them one after the other,then you'll really notice the difference around the centre.

Apparently using 107% FFB in the control panel helps aleviate the sensation of the 'deadzone' somewhat, but it also has the side effect of lessening some of the more subtle forces.
Quote from The Moose :Yup, its a well known issue with the G25. Anyone who says they don't have this 'deadzone' on their G25 hasn't tried a DFGT. Try them one after the other,then you'll really notice the difference around the centre.

Point being, deadzone is less than 1 degree. It's not really noticeable in normal driving but driving over rumblestrips or rough piece of tarmac makes it obvious. Still, it's definately not 30 degrees and that just sounds like broken wheel.
I have had my G25 since a few months after they came out. When it was brand new, there was no slack at all, but it's starting to have some now.

Perhaps your wheel was thrashed by the previous owner and it shows as a result. Even the G25 isn't unbreakable. The more and harder you use it, it wears out quicker.

G25 slack
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG