The online racing simulator
Merge F9 and F10?
(51 posts, started )
#1 - pik_d
Merge F9 and F10?
I find myself wanting to monitor both damage and tire wear/temps pretty often. Is there any way we can have it set up so that if:

You press F9 -> you see tire stuff like normal
Then you press F10 -> You get slightly squeezed tire and damage stuff
You press F9 -> You're left with only the damage

Such that it still behaves like normal if you only want to view one, but if you have them both selected then you can see both?
I just think combining the two would be a good idea. Place the tyre on the suspension thing and just show both.

+1111111111111
#3 - pik_d
Well you have to appease those who are afraid of change
I remember (time goes by) that someone had programmed one of his wheel buttons to cycle through F9/F10 and posted that somewhere in the forums (I'll let you search ).
That allowed him to press 1 button only:
1st press showed F9
2nd press showed F10
3rd press closed them.

Would that meet what you need?
Quote from Mille Sabords :

I dont think so, he means that that it should be on one window. Like, i press F9 to see my tire stats - but i could also see my suspension stats. Or something.
So if I understand right it would show both the tyre condition aswell as suspension condition in one and same picture. A BIG +1 from me, would be great to just have one info page.
#7 - pik_d
Quote from Mille Sabords :I remember (time goes by) that someone had programmed one of his wheel buttons to cycle through F9/F10 and posted that somewhere in the forums (I'll let you search ).
That allowed him to press 1 button only:
1st press showed F9
2nd press showed F10
3rd press closed them.

No, not really. While that sounds interesting it's not really what I'm looking for. It's a good make-shift way to see all the info quickly though, I'll grant you that.

Quote from hazaky :I dont think so, he means that that it should be on one window. Like, i press F9 to see my tire stats - but i could also see my suspension stats. Or something.

Well the way I'm thinking is that if you press F9 or F10 they act as usual showing only what they have always shown. Then if you press the other while the original info is still displayed it shows both at the same time. Then, when both are displayed, if you press F9 and F10 only the info from that button disappears.

When both are on screen at once they *might* have to be a bit thinner, but maybe not. The screen real estate inside where the F9/F10 info is shown is just car interiors, not even that close to the steering wheel or gauges.

Step 1: Press F9

Step 2: Press F10 (while tire info is still displayed)

Step 3: Press F9 (while both are displayed, removing only tire info)

+9001
Nice picture, and it shows exactly what I mean and wants, big +1 yet again.
+1

Good idea, would just be able to leave that on instead of leaning over my wheel and scrabbling to find F9/F10

YES! That's exactly what I was thinking +1010204835445475978
Very useful suggestion. I have just one hesitation. As you know, in forthcoming patches brake heating damage would be included. If it will be a bar indicator like as clutch damage, it's OK. On the other hand if every single brake discs will be demonstrated such as tyres and suspensions, too many indicators must be placed in one screen.

I think; tyres, brake discs, and suspensions are coherent compenents, thus all of them should be monitored synchronously; but I don't know how..
Probably the best suggestion in a long time.
Why not a whole screen full of telemetry data, f9, f10 and shift-l combined. It's not like you are supposed to drive while looking at those things anyway..
Quote from Not Sure :Why not a whole screen full of telemetry data, f9, f10 and shift-l combined. It's not like you are supposed to drive while looking at those things anyway..

Ahh, something to the like of Forza 2?

+1000230340403 to that. I'd jizz on the screen then!
Yep I was thinking about Forza 2 when I wrote that. Now I'm thinking you must have a filthy screen.
It will be good also to have with F9 the tire wear and the list of racers.
Quote from ADX.14 :Very useful suggestion. I have just one hesitation. As you know, in forthcoming patches brake heating damage would be included. If it will be a bar indicator like as clutch damage, it's OK. On the other hand if every single brake discs will be demonstrated such as tyres and suspensions, too many indicators must be placed in one screen.

I think; tyres, brake discs, and suspensions are coherent compenents, thus all of them should be monitored synchronously; but I don't know how..

I personally am guessing that it will be four separate bars included in the F9 menu. I don't think it will be that big of a deal though. If the clutch/g-forces/brake temps boxes are set to be 1/3rd of the height of the tire/suspension they could all still easily fit in that bottom area where noting important is shown.

Quote from zeugnimod :Probably the best suggestion in a long time.

This is quite nice to hear.

Quote from O.Varela :It will be good also to have with F9 the tire wear and the list of racers.

Yeah, It would be nice to somehow squeeze in the racers list when F9/F10 are shown. I'm not a graphic designer so I'm not really sure at what point there is just simply too much information on the screen. I've played Forza2 and I think the way the box surrounds the entire screen was distracting. Of course some happy medium between "argh I have to hit so many buttons to see everything" and "argh I can't even see the road anymore" has to be reached, but I think that it can be done (a bit better than it is right now).
Just a comment, Virtual Guages won't fit when all that info is taking up the lower screen.

Currently Virtual Guages appear in the middle (or the sides, I forget now) when you display tyres or suspension.

Just a comment, not saying bad idea/good idea - I don't even use virtual guages.
Quote from JasonJ :Just a comment, Virtual Guages won't fit when all that info is taking up the lower screen.

Currently Virtual Guages appear in the middle (or the sides, I forget now) when you display tyres or suspension.

Just a comment, not saying bad idea/good idea - I don't even use virtual guages.

The virtual gauges are in the middle when you have the steering gauge off and at the sides (tach/gas/boost on left, speed on right) when the steering gauge is on.

When the steering gauge isn't there it looks to me like there is more than enough room for both F9 and F10 menus. With the addition of brake temperature bars stuff might have to be made a bit smaller to have everything fit.

When the steering gauge is there stuff would definitely have to be trimmed down and/or moved around. The steering gauge as well as virtual gauges would all probably need to be in the middle with the steering gauge either above or below the other virtual gauges, then the F9/F10 menus on the outside as they normally are.
LOL, there's a suspension damage indicator?

I had no idea there was damage indicators at all in LFS, now that I know I guess I will just have to start using them. Although I have been lucky to never have had to worry about damage before.
Quote from O.Varela :It will be good also to have with F9 the tire wear and the list of racers.

Tyre wear is already represented in F9 - the 'tread' sections get thinner as the tyre wears.
Quote from JasonJ :Just a comment, Virtual Guages won't fit when all that info is taking up the lower screen.

Virtual gauges have no background, so I don't think it would be a problem
I think having all the info on screen at the same time could be useful, there is the question of it looking cluttered, but I think even if F9 and F10 info were drawn on top of each other it would still be readable.

SD.
Hm... -1.

I always use F9 when driving, so, info from F10 in F9 is to much, a lot of graphic information on screen for me...

I use script for rotate F keys on one wheel key, u can use any other key for this...

Damage is not so often, and the change is not rapid as in the tires.

Now, if we have configurable F keys and graphics in them, then is OK...
I don't think F9 and F10 info can go on top of each other. btw..It does all fit with virtual guages..
Attached images
untitled.JPG

Merge F9 and F10?
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG