The online racing simulator
Engine noise randomisation
(37 posts, started )
Sounds really good idea. Could be assessed for both online and AI options as well.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Some tuned engines do have massive rev lag at lower RPMs for some reasons, i think they are meant to be like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTZIetR6rBI&fmt=18

That is a very nice car, seeing & hearing a Pinto with sidedraughts is always a joy.

BUT, I see no "lag". And that little choking & popping is caused by not so optimal air-fuel-mixture. Those carbs just aren't properly tuned in that video.
Dual carbs like that are very hard to jet & tune perfectly, it is usually needed to be done in a dyno. A very experienced guy can get them work quite nicely without dyno too, but it's very hard tho. I got a feeling that they aren't even properly matched to each other yet.

Also the throttles aren't even nearly fully opened at any point during that video.

The fact is that a real powerful & good & in perfect tune N/A Pinto with ie. Dellorto DHLA's pulls perfectly thru the all rev range without any choking or popping or lag. And works even when the gas pedal isn't fully pressed.
Quote from NightShift :It's easy, add an option to enable/disable user created sounds, jsut like it was the Haze effect or whatnot.

But then we lose the difference in sounds between cars. I want the difference in sound, but I don't want crappy ENG files. That's why randomization is such a good idea.
Quote from BigPeBe :It can be very rough sounding and uneven at lower revs.

This is what I want.
Quote from BigPeBe :That is a very nice car, seeing & hearing a Pinto with sidedraughts is always a joy.

BUT, I see no "lag". And that little choking & popping is caused by not so optimal air-fuel-mixture. Those carbs just aren't properly tuned in that video.
Dual carbs like that are very hard to jet & tune perfectly, it is usually needed to be done in a dyno. A very experienced guy can get them work quite nicely without dyno too, but it's very hard tho. I got a feeling that they aren't even properly matched to each other yet.

Also the throttles aren't even nearly fully opened at any point during that video.

The fact is that a real powerful & good & in perfect tune N/A Pinto with ie. Dellorto DHLA's pulls perfectly thru the all rev range without any choking or popping or lag. And works even when the gas pedal isn't fully pressed.

What i mean by lag is when you see the throttle open, ok, not fully open, but open, and the engine doesnt actually rev, it just sits there and bogs at the same revs, sounding like its choking up for a few seconds and then finally picks up.

To quote your earlier post...

Quote :If the engine is properly tuned then yes they will react to the press of a gas pedal without hesitation even at lower revs.

This is precisely what that capri engine fails to do, although i agree that it sounds kinda un tuned, or if not, badly set up carbs.
Yep that's the point. If it chokes and fails to react immediately, then it isn't properly adjusted.

ie. a common problem with dual carbed tuned engines is so called "nose-dive". It means that when you are cruising lets say 80 km/h with 3000 rpm and then press the gas pedal, it doesn't react immediately, but instead revs drop a bit and then starts going it's very often caused by wrong sized idle jets.

I'm not an expert or anything but I know some stuff. If there is lag like that, then the carbs usually aren't perfectly tuned.

BTW note that when I say "tuned" I usually refer to how the carbs / ignition are set up and adjusted.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :You can change the engine noise while driving and it will not change other cars noise, only yours. For example, if your on a track with 15 other guys, and you have 15 different engine sounds for that car, you can give them each a different sound. Then, they will all sound different. The only downside is once you pit, all the cars sound the same again.

okey, i didnt know that
Quote from MAGGOT :But then we lose the difference in sounds between cars. I want the difference in sound, but I don't want crappy ENG files. That's why randomization is such a good idea.

What would stop an interested developer from adding two separate switches? one for randomisation and the other for user engs, it would make anyone happy.

if UserENG=on then
download from LFS world (insert check for already downloaded files and loop)
else
load preset eng files
end
(...)
if randomisation=on then
alter some parameters in each eng file
end

or sth to that end. Not that I think we'll ever see that feature added, randomisation has more chances to be implemented IMO.
i have also suggested this improvement and i really like to see randomization
Bump

I agree with the servers deciding, as suggested by NightShift.

The sounds can work the same way skins are used.
I don't see people's problem with 'big' and 'nasty' ENG. files, they're only ~280KB.

Besides, the sounds don't have to be saved anywhere except the user's PC, then uploaded to the server upon connecting. Then when another user connects, they load every other car's position, skin, and engine.
I'm pretty sure the only reason the ENG file has significant size to it is that it stores all the loaded sounds - IE engine pulse, gear shift, turbo, BOV, air intake, etc... so you shouldn't have to load everyone's BOV sounds, shifter sound, Etc.. just each user would have thier own individual slider settings loaded(as in SHIFT+A mode). preferably not including the Volume adjustment slider
and the BOV, gear whine, intake, other sounds in the ENG should all be the same/not included in the individual loading.

And while the server has the choice between individual sound settings or random variation, put it in the multiplayer speed-up options to allow or disallow individualized engine sounds, and voila everyone's happy.
Perhaps one of the most interesting noises I heard in 2009 was two Yamaha M1 motors revving in unison, piloted by Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo.

Engine noise randomisation
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG