The online racing simulator
VMWARE & LFS Server
(2 posts, started )
VMWARE & LFS Server
Okay so I don't have any windows box's to run LFS on yet, I do however have a Windows 2003 Server vmware vps I run.

I don't use vmNAT as it experences issues after tons of packets sent (I used to host LiveToCruise) The solution was to use a IP address which I obtained.

I still get tiny bits of lag, the vm is completely idle using like 80meg of ram (Which is great for running windows) its not slow at all, I can open it and run firefox and such... yet we get tiny bits of lag like packets being dropped.

Any ideas? I'd like to host a United States server for us
I've done lots of testing with VMWare Server 2 for liveforspeed.se's servers.

We were running Windows 2003 as guest on a Linux host and experimented with both NAT and bridged configurations, even fitting the server with an extra network interface reserved for the guest. Obviously we tried different process priorities and so forth.

Still I was not able to get rid of tiny lag spike similar to the symptoms that you describe. Every 30 seconds or so the server would stop sending/receving packets for 1-2 seconds. This is obviously unbearable on a crowded league server so I eventually gave up and moved on.

One theory is that the cpu timings of the server and guest does not match. I did not bother to confirm this, however.

Our most popular servers are now running under Wine on a proper Linux host, which is proving to work a lot better.

Sorry I could not be of any more assistance.

Good luck!

VMWARE & LFS Server
(2 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG