The online racing simulator
Tweaking your connection?
(22 posts, started )
Is there a way to tweak your connection to get better positions from the server? How about forcing more detail into replays?

I see that when you turn around cars disappear. I also see that the netcode is kind of really warpy especially on starts.
So is there anything I can do to force more updates from a server or even from me up to the server? Didnt find anywhere even the minimum to set up for your connection like used in other games.
What type of internet connection do you have?, how do you connect to the internet?, what pings do you get on the servers you connect too?.

Dan,
Quote from Sawyer :
So is there anything I can do to force more updates from a server or even from me up to the server? Didnt find anywhere even the minimum to set up for your connection like used in other games.

This is a server side option called "smoothness". It determines how many update packets are sent.

So no. As far as I know you can't increase the update frequency from a client pc.
4Mbit/512kbps pings are around 50 on the servers I race.
But at end of a race you usually stop after the start finish line and make some burnouts. When I drive past a car and make a fast burnout into his direction. Also when I drive past it disappears and when i turn around I see him popup again.

Also on starts. Some cars simple dont come from the start when the race starts then suddenly warp to front on the other side others may be fully smooth.
It maybe the server running too many cars, or the people connecting lagging the server.

I very rarely have any lag issues.

Dan,
My GURU server is set with smoothness =6. I very rarely have warping on that server, and I I do it's the client that can't keep up. The extra packets put a 50-75% extra strain on the server connection, and for all clients, so it's a price to pay.
I have a 3.0mps cable connection and everytime I am connected to a server (usually ping 60-125) and there are more than around 6 or 7 cars..there is always at least wrapping at the start of the race so many times the car ahead of me doesn't seem to move so i try to avoid it, only to have the car reappear 200 feet infront of me a few seconds later...alittle annoying but I've always excepted it as part of the game
Quote from RedStarArmy :I have a 3.0mps cable connection and everytime I am connected to a server (usually ping 60-125) and there are more than around 6 or 7 cars..there is always at least wrapping at the start of the race so many times the car ahead of me doesn't seem to move so i try to avoid it, only to have the car reappear 200 feet infront of me a few seconds later...alittle annoying but I've always excepted it as part of the game

Yeah thats what im talking about. I think this happens always. There is alway one car which wouldnt move until you try to dodge lol.
Quote from Sawyer :Yeah thats what im talking about. I think this happens always. There is alway one car which wouldnt move until you try to dodge lol.

The problem is actually not in LFS but in the others who are connected to the servers.There are still guys around who use modem connection.

Also someone can have fast connection but very bad ping thats why you see them warping.

If the net code would be more simplier you would like the see the car "floating" and not like moving on the ground.Just check for example TOCA3 how looks other cars when moving.LFS is in this way more realistic.Its always something for something.

There is also feature called "online speed up" and you can set in what disstance you still see the car.On slower computers it boos up your FPS.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Also someone can have fast connection but very bad ping thats why you see them warping.

I got a 1mb broadband and most of my pings are around the 30-40 mark. Tbh I don't even try and race on higher ping servers than that. It just gets annoying . . .

I also got the feeling that it's more a client -> server problem than a server -> Client issue.

Just try and join the lowest ping servers around. hopefully you will iliminate most of the lag problems. But there are always one or two around who connect with high Pings . . . It's them, not you.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :The problem is actually not in LFS but in the others who are connected to the servers.There are still guys around who use modem connection.

Also someone can have fast connection but very bad ping thats why you see them warping.

If the net code would be more simplier you would like the see the car "floating" and not like moving on the ground.Just check for example TOCA3 how looks other cars when moving.LFS is in this way more realistic.Its always something for something.

There is also feature called "online speed up" and you can set in what disstance you still see the car.On slower computers it boos up your FPS.

Thats actually the whole point. No I want the netcode to be better not simplier. Simple it already. Rfactor is fully smooth online and thats what I would like to have here also.
Quote from Funnybear :I got a 1mb broadband and most of my pings are around the 30-40 mark. Tbh I don't even try and race on higher ping servers than that. It just gets annoying . . .

I also got the feeling that it's more a client -> server problem than a server -> Client issue.

Just try and join the lowest ping servers around. hopefully you will iliminate most of the lag problems. But there are always one or two around who connect with high Pings . . . It's them, not you.

Could you test like in 10 minutes if you loose any packets?This might the possibility as well.Its not always about the speed of your connection but the quality it have.
Quote from Sawyer :Thats actually the whole point. No I want the netcode to be better not simplier. Simple it already. Rfactor is fully smooth online and thats what I would like to have here also.

Actually I tried rFactor sometime ago and the netcode wasnt much impressive to me.Maybe it has changed but the cars didnt look like really moving on the ground.
#14 - Naix
I also seen that on rFactor, but if the connection is correct well is pretty smooth. Depends on bandwith quality, servers, even your PC !!
Quote from Naix :I also seen that on rFactor, but if the connection is correct well is pretty smooth. Depends on bandwith quality, servers, even your PC !!

I think its the same case for LFS.I dont have warping problems or whatsoever.All the time nice smooth racing.Sometimes a 1 - 2 people occur who lag but its definately their connection being faulty or high ping.
I'm thinking the warping has a lot to do with most people playing from different countries. I know that when i play other online games (mostly Half Life or BF2) i always connect to USA servers and play with people that are close to the server location. Now i know that a lot of the LFS servers are scattered through out the world, and all the people that connect may be connecting from a far away locations..which in another other games, and in LFS would result in some sort of warping. Just a thought. So maybe it has nothing to do with the netcode.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Could you test like in 10 minutes if you loose any packets?This might the possibility as well.Its not always about the speed of your connection but the quality it have.

I wouldn't even know how to test . . . LFS works fine for me online, with good FPS and good pings. My machine ain't ninja nore is my connection. It just works. If it didn't I wouldn't be here . . . If it works, don't break it . . .
Quote from Funnybear :I wouldn't even know how to test . . .

1) Press Start button
2) Press Run and small window with white command line will appear
3) write CMD and press enter
4) small black window will pop up with command line
5) write following ping -n 100 www.google.co.uk

When you will trying this dont run any messanger program or anything which use internet.

at the end it will write you what was your minimal,maximum and average ping and it will also show u if yout lost some packets.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Actually I tried rFactor sometime ago and the netcode wasnt much impressive to me.Maybe it has changed but the cars didnt look like really moving on the ground.

well yeah ok. This is because the suspension isnt moving at all.
But the movement is smooth not warpy and also the starts are normal.
I was racing on a server with 400 ping and was impressed how smooth all looks.
Lost one packet out of 100, 37ms average . . . .

That using NTL 1MB Broadband in the middle of Cardiff . . . So I' assume I'm failry close to a major pipe . . . .
Quote from Funnybear :Lost one packet out of 100, 37ms average . . . .

That using NTL 1MB Broadband in the middle of Cardiff . . . So I' assume I'm failry close to a major pipe . . . .

Hehe...quite funny.I live in Czech republic so far away from that UK server and I get ping between 20-28ms.No packet lost at all.

Living next to major pipe(you never know where it is doesnt mean you will have automatically good connection.
-
(Sawyer) DELETED by Sawyer
lol . . . Can't remember what time of day I did it. Maybe if I tried again late at night I might get better pings

(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG