The online racing simulator
#51 - 5haz
The Ferrari F1 team are too much of an important part of F1, I don't care what fanboys say, those red cars have to be on the grid of F1 isn't F1.
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
#52 - 5haz
Quote from SilverArrows77 :A threat from Ferrari to leave F1 is a bit like a LFS user threatening to leave LFS if he doesnt get the Sirrocco, they both still hang around making a loud noise and never actually go anywhere... its nothing more than vain huff n puff in an attempt to get their point across. [/generalisation]

What if a very popular, major part of LFS quits? It wasn't like nobody cared when UKCT decided to shut down CTRA was it, just like CTRA was a very popular and important part of the LFS community, Ferrari is a very important part of F1 and like CTRA, if it goes, its going to rather hurt the quality of the whole 'show'.

And its not just Ferrari threatening to leave, enough teams are doing the same that I think the FIA really should take notice.

It'll be interesting to see who backs down, its like F1 is in a 'cold war' right now, about to turn hot.
Quote from SilverArrows77 :Someone doesnt like something, threatens to leave, but never actually does.

Ferrari has not needed to leave, because they have always got what they wanted...
Quote from TagForce :Absolutely Ferrari-perfect scenario, save for one little thing... No viewers, broadcasts, fans, etc. Other than the handful of F1 fans who would go with them to the tracks.

Splitting F1 up into two seperate series would do the same for European Open Wheel Racing as splitting up CART and IRL did for AOWR. It will kill it completely. Luckily for us we have very fun and competitive second class series (A1GP, SuperLeague Formula, GP2) that are just waiting to take over from F1. What we need is a cool V8 Stockcar championship like NASCAR or Aussie V8s to complete the show, or a 30+ car DTM field, and Europe is ready to drop Open Wheel cars just the same as the US was ready 14 years ago.

A1GP, Superleague and GP2 aren't entertaining. GP2's purpose is to get the better drivers to F1 (yet most in GP2 are not much better than you or I), whilst A1GP and Superleague are two of the most boring, pointless, average forms of open wheel racing I've ever seen. Great as a remedy for insomnia though.

Personally the thought of trying to shoehorn DTM or V8s are a replacement for F1 are stupid too - low tech cars (in comparison) and currently filled mostly by people too talentless to get to A1GP or Superleague.

If you want to replace F1 with something actually exciting (without the terrible driving from BTCC for example) then you have to go way down the ladder to Formula Renault (not F BMW, which is also quite dull for some reason) or even Ginetta Juniors. After that you are down at some of the karting rungs. But in my opinion most of the championships between those and F1, and all championships for ex-F1 drivers (DTM) are very snoreworthy.
Go go ALMS and LMS
ALMS for the poor?

*gets coat*
Fia will change the 40 mil cap to mandatory, Ferrari will not leave, everyone will be happy.
Senior sources within teams have revealed this morning that although the boycott threat was sparked by the possibility of a voluntary budget cap, it is the governance of the sport that is now of bigger concern.

One representative from a leading team told AUTOSPORT: "Things have to change."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75316
Quote from Mustafur :Fia will change the 40 mil cap to mandatory, have Max and Bernie killed (or at least heavily crippled to a state they can't have anything to do with F1, Ferrari will not leave, everyone will be happy. FIA then get rid of the stupid budget cap and allow the teams to spend what they want and what they can afford from their sponsorship deals. Then everyone will be happy...

Fixed.
Mosley is such an unbelievable douchebag: sticking to his guns, even though it will be his end.

Just look at the "talent" that is lining up to get into F1 under the budget cap. Some of the teams thinking about entering actually know what they are doing (Lola), but look at some of the others, for example Mike Gascoyne... sacked from Force India for being a notorious dumb ass, and he wants to come back with an even smaller team? Give me a break.

F1 is dead.
Quote from evilgeek :
f1 is dead.

LOL F1 as a concept died MANY years ago. For me this happened once someone could, with a fraction of the budget of a big F1 team, come in and build a car (not F1 spec) that would outperform an F1 car. That's when F1 died in reality. If Mr Malaya wanted to build a car faster than a BrawnGP F1 car his team could design it in a day!

What we are seeing now is the usual PR stuff to keep F1 in the headlines
Quote from Intrepid :LOL F1 as a concept died MANY years ago. For me this happened once someone could, with a fraction of the budget of a big F1 team, come in and build a car (not F1 spec) that would outperform an F1 car.

I do not think it has ever been a major engineering challenge to design something faster than F1 without restrictive parameters.
#65 - 5haz
Quote from Joris :I do not think it has ever been a major engineering challenge to design something faster than F1 without restrictive parameters.

+1

CanAm cars used to be quicker than F1 cars and they were certainly not mechanical masterpieces.
Quote from Intrepid :LOL F1 as a concept died MANY years ago. For me this happened once someone could, with a fraction of the budget of a big F1 team, come in and build a car (not F1 spec) that would outperform an F1 car. That's when F1 died in reality. If Mr Malaya wanted to build a car faster than a BrawnGP F1 car his team could design it in a day!

What we are seeing now is the usual PR stuff to keep F1 in the headlines

Honda has a fraction of a budget compared to a big team?
He didn't mean what Brawn have done this year - he means F1 died as a concept because the technical regulations became so restrictive that it's easy to build something that will lap a track faster than an F1 car on a much smaller budget if you're not so constricted.
Quote from mythdat :He didn't mean what Brawn have done this year - he means F1 died as a concept because the technical regulations became so restrictive that it's easy to build something that will lap a track faster than an F1 car on a much smaller budget if you're not so constricted.

It has been like that for decades (if not since the very beginning). This is not a contemporary issue.
Quote from mythdat :He didn't mean what Brawn have done this year - he means F1 died as a concept because the technical regulations became so restrictive that it's easy to build something that will lap a track faster than an F1 car on a much smaller budget if you're not so constricted.

Quote from Joris :It has been like that for decades (if not since the very beginning). This is not a contemporary issue.

Quote from amp88 :+1

CanAm cars used to be quicker than F1 cars and they were certainly not mechanical masterpieces.

From the '60s (the golden era of F1 racing some would say).
Quote from amp88 :+1

CanAm cars used to be quicker than F1 cars

Actually common misconception. Pretty even. I once looked into this: canam.txt
Quote from deggis :Actually common misconception. Pretty even. I once looked into this: canam.txt

It's not a misconception if it's true...some CanAm cars were quicker than contemporary F1 cars. I never said all CanAm cars were quicker than all F1 cars at every track in the history of CanAm. I used CanAm as an example of relatively cheap, relatively low-tech cars that could be quicker than F1 cars.
Quote from amp88 :It's not a misconception if it's true...some CanAm cars were quicker than contemporary F1 cars. I never said all CanAm cars were quicker than all F1 cars at every track in the history of CanAm.

It is off topic but anyway I just meant "as fast as" would be appropriate. Faster on one track, similarly slower on another track... misconception probably has started decades ago when being fast was same thing as top speed.

Quote :I used CanAm as an example of relatively cheap relatively low-tech cars that could be quicker than F1 cars.

Not so sure about that though, especially not cheap (at that time)
Quote from deggis :Not so sure about that though, especially not cheap (at that time)

Relatively cheap (compared to F1).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG