The online racing simulator
Quote from tinvek :trouble is the budget cap is too low, hell even force india will have to reduce its budget by aprox 50% to meet it and virgin estimate that they could net over £85 million by selling off sponsorship space on the brawns. none of the teams want two differing sets of rules plus of course the question is if anyone could actually afford to develope anything to take advantage of the slack regs and still stay under the budget

sponsers don't include in the budget cap at all, engines are more unrestricted and not capped and im sure drivers are not eighter now so it should be acheiveable.
I thought that the whole idea of having a 'Formula' in the first place, was to ensure that everyone competes on an equal basis (and of course, more latterly for safety reasons too).

The idea of putting a cap on spending makes sense in that regard, but why make it optional? OK, those that stay within budget supposedly get more design freedom, but it still creates inequality.

Surely it needs to be mandatory, leaving the actual amount as the only point for discussion?
I hope the FIA decides it's time to quit playing around, and tells the teams "fine, no voluntary budget cap... A mandatory 44 million cap and that's the end of it".

You see, the problem is that the teams are complaining about this whole voluntary thing, while in reality they simply don't want a budget cap at all. Ferrari has the resources to win, just as Renault does and Red Bull... If there's a budget cap all those resources won't help them, and they will need other means to win instead of 'more money'. Ferrari has proven so far this season that they seriously lack other means to win. They aren't in F1 to compete for the win, they're in F1 to buy themselves the win.

Teams should quit complaining... This budget cap thing ultimately will save F1, even if the big teams leave. As long as they remain the fastest cars that run on road courses they will be F1.
Quote from TagForce :I hope the FIA decides it's time to quit playing around, and tells the teams "fine, no voluntary budget cap... A mandatory 44 million cap and that's the end of it".

You see, the problem is that the teams are complaining about this whole voluntary thing, while in reality they simply don't want a budget cap at all. Ferrari has the resources to win, just as Renault does and Red Bull... If there's a budget cap all those resources won't help them, and they will need other means to win instead of 'more money'. Ferrari has proven so far this season that they seriously lack other means to win. They aren't in F1 to compete for the win, they're in F1 to buy themselves the win.

**Newsflash** THAT'S MOTOR RACING!

From karting to F1 money is an integral part to anyone's success and the more you got the better you generally do!

I have my doubts about the budget cap. Telling people what they can and can't do with their OWN money is a bit iffy if you ask me.
Can someone clarify a bit, about that forced budget? I don't see why some teams are upset, they WANT to spend more money? What's the deal?
The teams have built up to run a certain way at certain budgets. To cut that by 80% in a few months is basically like asking them to start again from scratch or compete against people with more power and better aerodynamics. I think.
Well ok, that makes sense..
Why is everyone in F1 suddenly quitting
Because they've heard you play rFactor..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Can someone clarify a bit, about that forced budget? I don't see why some teams are upset, they WANT to spend more money? What's the deal?

Recently Maxie actually said something smart...

“I hope and think that when a team goes to its board and says, ‘I want to go to war with the FIA, because I want to be able to spend £100m more than the FIA want me to spend,’ then the board will say, ‘Why can’t you spend £40m if the other teams can do it?’”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5831 ... p=rss&nclick_check=1#
The problem most teams have isn't the budget cap itself, apart from Ferrari they all welcome that. The issue is the two-tier system, they don't want cars racing under two different sets of regulations

Edit: Renault have now also joined the 'we'll quit' party (source)

That makes Ferrari, Toyota, Red Bull, Torro Rosso and Renault so far
#37 - 5haz
Thing is, will the team bosses have the guts to simply pull the plug, think of all the redundancies that would have to be made.
Quote from 5haz :Thing is, will the team bosses have the guts to simply pull the plug, think of all the redundancies that would have to be made.

To get to the budget limit they would have to fire people anyway?
#39 - 5haz
Quote from deggis :To get to the budget limit they would have to fire people anyway?

But they would have to fire less people.

Ferrari already talking about 'racing elsewhere', sportscars perhaps?

It'd be ace to see a a revival of 3 litre sports cars (well 2.4 litres perhaps), current F1 engines are designed to run serveral race weekends, so some minor changes could make F1 engines fairly suitable for endurance racing.

Or could we at last be seeing the beginnings of a breakaway F1 series, independant of those bastards who have pushed it too far this time?
Well if they dont want the two tier championship, why don't they pick the "higher" tier and spend as much money as they want + get more testing ect?

Whats the big deal.... No one is forcing them to pick the 40mill budget and be in so called "lower" tier or whatever....
Quote from DevilDare :Well if they dont want the two tier championship, why don't they pick the "higher" tier and spend as much money as they want + get more testing ect?

Whats the big deal.... No one is forcing them to pick the 40mill budget and be in so called "lower" tier or whatever....

If you choose to be in the "capped" tier you are less restricted on what you can and cannot do technically. The current rules effectively allow 2 classes of car to be running against each other. That's not how F1 should be...everyone should be racing to the same set of regulations. If Ferrari choose to be capped the resources they've invested so heavily in won't be exploited fully.
and it's not like Ferrari are saying "do what we want because we are prima donnas and you'll be sorry if you don't".

they are saying that they entered the sport for a reason, and have stuck with the sport this long for a reason, but that if the new rules go into effect, their reason for participating will no longer be there. they want to compete at the highest level, and up until now, F1 has been the "pinnacle of motorsport", but under next years rules it wont be, and it's completely fair play for them to pass on participating in a series that is a joke.

and on the "conspiracy" side of it, maybe if they skip 2010 they can "cheat" by working on their 2011 car in secret for 2 years. just putting that out there before the haters do. :P
#44 - SamH
The irony is that, if Ferrari hadn't shafted McLaren, Williams et al, and torpedoed the breakaway series last time the Concorde Agreement was up for review, they wouldn't be threatening to leave BerniMax and F1 behind now.

That series had all the makings of an absolutely Ferrari-perfect scenario, with regulatory consistency, freedom for technological innovation and fair profit sharing, and everything else that Ferrari are now complaining are leaking out of F1 today.

I bet every time Luca thinks about that in bed, he cringes and rolls over. Better (very) late than never, eh?
I can't find a quote in English off this, but MTV3's teletext essentially read Bernie(?) suggesting that if Ferrari stayed in for the two-tier system, the only people allowed access to their financial data for regulatory and monitoring purposes would be.. the Ferrari regulators, as opposed to other teams whose accounts would be subject to external scrutiny. Lmao.
#46 - SamH
That's in accordance with recently-expired Concorde Agreement. Ferrari's accounts are private but the FIA (and Ferrari, IIRC) can inspect other teams' accounts.
Quote from deggis :http://www.guardian.co.uk/spor ... ri-formula-one-budget-cap

Piero Ferrari speaks.

About the Indycar 1986 thing... "He [Enzo] wasn't bluffing," his son said. "He was serious. And so are we."

Difference being that Enzo had long been planning to run the 497.5 at Indy, and the only real question was if it would be Ferrari or Alfa branded.

BTW, there's an error in the article... It's a 40 million UKP cap, not a 40 million US$ cap. There's only a 20 million difference between the two (in US$).
Quote from SamH :The irony is that, if Ferrari hadn't shafted McLaren, Williams et al, and torpedoed the breakaway series last time the Concorde Agreement was up for review, they wouldn't be threatening to leave BerniMax and F1 behind now.

That series had all the makings of an absolutely Ferrari-perfect scenario, with regulatory consistency, freedom for technological innovation and fair profit sharing, and everything else that Ferrari are now complaining are leaking out of F1 today.

I bet every time Luca thinks about that in bed, he cringes and rolls over. Better (very) late than never, eh?

Absolutely Ferrari-perfect scenario, save for one little thing... No viewers, broadcasts, fans, etc. Other than the handful of F1 fans who would go with them to the tracks.

Splitting F1 up into two seperate series would do the same for European Open Wheel Racing as splitting up CART and IRL did for AOWR. It will kill it completely. Luckily for us we have very fun and competitive second class series (A1GP, SuperLeague Formula, GP2) that are just waiting to take over from F1. What we need is a cool V8 Stockcar championship like NASCAR or Aussie V8s to complete the show, or a 30+ car DTM field, and Europe is ready to drop Open Wheel cars just the same as the US was ready 14 years ago.
#50 - SamH
Quote from TagForce :Absolutely Ferrari-perfect scenario, save for one little thing... No viewers, broadcasts, fans, etc. Other than the handful of F1 fans who would go with them to the tracks.

I think if Ferrari HAD pulled out of F1, either the Beeb or ITV would have followed them to the breakaway series. Fans will go wherever Ferrari lead, and TV will go wherever the fans go. But then so would the other teams, and F1 would have ceased. So would FIA, I think as well, because even Bernie said that without the revenue from F1, the FIA would run out of money within hours.

I don't think anyone is an F1 fan, where F1 is an entity. Everyone is a motorsports fan or a team fan, or a smell-of-burning-ethanol fan or a sound-of-a-big-engine fan. Personally, I'm hooked on the sound of an ignition-cut racing car. I'd never go to a motorsports event thinking "Gotta get me an FIA fix!"

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG