The online racing simulator
Quote from danowat :
I am planning on trying to go sub 58mins on my next 10k on 28th June, but I am not 100% sure I can hit it,

Be sure! My brother just ran a 10k event down in blackpool and put in a good time, but laughed when he said most of the blokes finishing above him were older and he pushed out 37min time, he is no spring chicken either.

He runs every other morning, and tries to keep in shape, I think he is nuts.
But if you enjoy it and its keeping you healthy, stick to your schedule and push it.
Quote from StableX :Ever thought of trying for the Marathon des Sables at all? I have a few friends that have done that in the past.

Great job on the pb Dan

That garmin watch looks like a really cool piece of kit!

I would need to do some SERIOUS training to do that!!!, 150miles in 6 days?, christ, that takes some serious dedication!!!.

Yeah, the watch is a great bit of kit, best £200 I have spent I think

Quote from The Very End :Cool
I think that I will take some time to adapt from indoor running to outfoor running, probally my times will go up much the first weeks, but hopefully I can be equally fast outside/inside. I plan to run 2-3 times each week, thuesday, thursday and saturday.

I am currently doing 3 times, and around 15-20 miles a week, a recovery run on Tues, a speed or tempo session on Thurs, and a long run on Sun
Sorry, how much is a mile compared to the km? Either way, don't your leg hurts when running that much outside? I have not runned to much outside, but when I do I allways get a really painfull leg the next 4 days.
1 mile = 1.6km

I did get big pains last year when I went from treadmill to road, but they went in about 2 weeks, thats not to say I don't get pains now, because I do after a tough session, or long(er) run.
Holy shit mate, that's above 20km... that's just sick, takes hours? !
In total, I reckon I train about 3 hours a week?, not a massive amount, I know of people who do 50-100 miles a week!!!!

The peak of my current training plan is 26 miles a week, 2 mile recovery, 10mile speed, 2 mile recovery, 12 mile long run.
Ahhh, now I get you mate! I though you were doing those miles each time you were running, but it's your totall distance the whole week put togheter? Still, a good distance!

I probally running 48 miles each week, or 30km. 10 km each run with a speed at 10kmh, and doing 3 runs so far each week. Not a big speed, but it feels good running at it, without pushing it to the max all the time.
30km or 48miles?(80km)
Ah, miscalculation <.<
I meant 30km, I have given up how to do it on calc in affraightness of messing up again
Hehehe, Metric vc Imperial
Quote from danowat :I would need to do some SERIOUS training to do that!!!, 150miles in 6 days?, christ, that takes some serious dedication!!!.

yeah, it does but remember, all you have to do each day is beat the camel that walks behind you! The main issue is feet disintegration. The sand as an abrasive tool is destructive to the skin!

Quote from danowat :Yeah, the watch is a great bit of kit, best £200 I have spent I think

sorry, but which watch is it again?
Ok, here we go, Target pace is as described in my training plan

Week 1 4/5-10/5

Monday
10k race
Dist - 6.21 miles
Time - 59.49
Avg pace - 9:35 min/mile
Avg HR - 173bpm
Calories - 1032

Tuesday
Rest

Wednesday
2 mile easy run
Dist - 2.02
Time - 22:13
Avg pace - 11:01
Avg HR - 144bpm
Target pace - 11:35
Calories - 342

Thursday
Rest

Friday
5 mile tempo run (1 mile warm, 3 miles @ pace, 1 mile cool)
Dist - 5.00
Time - 51:27
Avg pace - 10:18
Avg HR - 157bpm
Target pace - 1 mile @ 11:35, 3 miles @ 9:57, 1 mile @ 11:35
Calories - 837

Saturday
Rest

Sunday
6 mile long run
Dist - 6.26
Time - 1:09:28
Avg pace - 11:06
Avg HR - 153bpm
Target pace - 11:35
Calories - 1063

Weekly total

Dist - 19:51
Time - 3:22:53
Calories - 3274
Seems like a good calory burner, will try it out 3 weeks in my summer vecation, and untill then I'll go hardpractice on that god damn threadmill (or what the name is on it) . I swear, running with the speed of 0 towards a wall is thrilling joyment.
Ahhhh, the dreaded dreadmill
Yes, I swear, if they show Opera one more time on the TV on the wall I am going to throw the whole dreadmill on the staff >.<
Very nice!
If you dont mind me asking, how much weight have you lost?
Dan
Wow.. pretty intense training schedule you have there!

Well good luck with it all dude

I should start running or something as well tbh. :hide:
Quote from danowat :
Friday
5 mile tempo run (1 mile warm, 3 miles @ pace, 1 mile cool)
Dist - 5.00
Time - 51:27
Avg pace - 10:18
Avg HR - 157bpm
Target pace - 1 mile @ 11:35, 3 miles @ 9:57, 1 mile @ 11:35
Calories - 837

I like runs like these myself, although I tend to fear the last mile jog so hold back on the middle part. 3 miles in 9:57 would be a bit hot for me Mr Gebrselassie

I tend to run when I feel like it, which is usually every other day depending on whether I do 4 or 8 miles. I've considered getting a bit more scientific about it, maybe I would set myself a goal like you have if I did, and I might actually get better at it.
Im actualy started runnign again dammed hard once you stop im having trouble with 10 km it just sucks but,
I dont want to be fat either.

Just one peice of advice if you start never stop becaus getting back in is dammed hard
Quote from dan12s :Very nice!
If you dont mind me asking, how much weight have you lost?
Dan

About 10 stone, give or take a few lb's

Quote from sinbad :I like runs like these myself, although I tend to fear the last mile jog so hold back on the middle part. 3 miles in 9:57 would be a bit hot for me Mr Gebrselassie

I tend to run when I feel like it, which is usually every other day depending on whether I do 4 or 8 miles. I've considered getting a bit more scientific about it, maybe I would set myself a goal like you have if I did, and I might actually get better at it.

If you want to get REALLY technical, the book "The lore of running", has technical info out the ying-yang.

Speed and tempo sessions have really helped me improve my times, I would say nearly 10 mins off a 10k time in under a years worth of training ain't too shabby, I realise that I will never be "fast", I am just not built that way, too big, but I reckon I can improve a fair bit more.

I spent far too many years abusing the crap out of my body, so I have lost a lot of time in that respect, but I reckon I have a good 5 or so years of solid improvement left in me

Its actually really interesting when you delve into it, I really didn't appreciate when I started a year ago, just how much the mental side of running affects you.
[QUOTE=danowat;1156623]About 10 stone, give or take a few lb's

Wow!, I might have to try this out , And i bet you were on a diet aswell
Quote from danowat :

If you want to get REALLY technical, the book "The lore of running", has technical info out the ying-yang.

Have you ever read Jack Daniels "Running Formula"? A must have if you ask me.
Quote from dan12s :Wow!, I might have to try this out , And i bet you were on a diet aswell

No, not a "diet" as such, I am totally against "diets" TBH, personally, I think that you should view it as a lifestyle change, and don't do anything you can't, or are not prepared to do, for the rest of your life.

These fad diets, i.e. you eat 2 sticks of celery a day, aren't going to work, simply because you can't maintain it, which is why lots of people yo-yo up and down in weight.

Sure, you can lose weight on a fad diet, but as soon as you stop, you but it back on.

I never did anything that I couldn't maintain, I just eat sensible, and don't munch biscuits, chocolate, crisps etc etc.

Quote from Nobo :Have you ever read Jack Daniels "Running Formula"? A must have if you ask me.

Yes, its been mentioned to me, I will have to try and pick up a copy.
Quote from danowat :I never did anything that I couldn't maintain, I just eat sensible, and don't munch biscuits, chocolate, crisps etc etc.

Originally I wasn't going to participate in the discussion, but I'd like to ask you a question at this point.
I've recently started swimming almost daily (perhaps ... 25 days a month?) for at least an hour and it's been working out nicely, except for the fact that I'm actually running short on calories on my normal diet. I'm rather struggling to provide myself with the amount of energy I burn daily. I've always lacked motivation on that topic and tend to having to rely on nutritional supplements to stop myself from getting headaches/cramps/etc.
So out of interest I'd like to ask you how much you percieve yourself to be "holding back" on your eating habits despite the intensive training you're doing. I'm not looking for a too detailed/personal answer, rather just a general idea of wether you're actually applying discipline to your diet and to what degree - e.g. compared to your extensive work on exercise plans.

I think I said it a while ago already in this thread, but let me tell you again how much I admire your hard work. Especially running is something that takes a lot of willpower and I can only imagin how much additional work you put into other changes to your lifestyle. Willpower and determination are the characteristics I admire most in people and you've demonstrated very well how far those can get a person.

Vain

The road to 26.2 miles (was 10km training)
(246 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG