The online racing simulator
Quote from Linsen :And if you're racing on a server with qualifying the whole "hotlapping" business works exactly as it does in rL anyway.

Well the hotlaping mode is close to quali mode in real life...lets say.

Except you cant upload that qualtime to LFS world as hotlap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Execution Style
Not exactly in the same subject, but on-topic for the thread..
anyone else ever had a problem with the idea that a hotlap is invalid after driving on the grass or dirt *on a rallycross circuit* ??? illepall

Quote from Tukko :ehm what's the problem.. just keep 2 wheels on track (dirt, not grass) like driving on any other track

It's not really a big problem... it's just that the rules of rallycross don't include keeping two wheels on the track. If a rallycross driver accidentally goes into a field, he doesn't get a penalty for being off the track. hehe

The only time this "feature" really bugs me is when I am driving bl2 rev.. when you are leaving the backstretch piece of asphalt and you turn left onto the gravel heading down hill there, if you cut very close to the wall, you can get a "hotlap invalid: dirt". Christ, I'm heading directly off the asphalt onto a gravel road

Still, the hotlap rules system is to stop cheating so I'm not putting this in the suggestion forum.. I just decided to rant a little about this while the subject was up
Quote from Execution Style :The only time this "feature" really bugs me is when I am driving bl2 rev.. when you are leaving the backstretch piece of asphalt and you turn left onto the gravel heading down hill there, if you cut very close to the wall, you can get a "hotlap invalid: dirt". Christ, I'm heading directly off the asphalt onto a gravel road

pff yeah I know that feeling

And it's annoying too when you're hotlapping on some SO track.. little touch with wall and it's invalid lap, even tho there's really no chance to cheat (except last turn @ SO sprint2). But guess we just have to live with this feature
Quote from tailing :The way I see it hotlapping itself isn't very realistic so defining what is realistic behaviour when hotlapping is kinda a moot point.
If I happened to be in a "hotlapping" situation in real life I'm pretty certain there would be nothing stopping me from driving backwards or doing burnouts or whatever.
I dunno, I don't feel that strongly either way but find some of these discussions about what is and isn't realistic in a computer game a bit strange.

Exactly!

A simulator recreates the rules of physics for a certain purpose. It does not recreate the rules of a track or common sense. As little as possible is scripted.

It may not be realistic BEHAVIOR by the drivers, but it is perfectly realistic and understandable. But I would also argue that our behavior in the sim will vary greatly with our behavior in the real world... and that is part of the beauty of a sim. One of the beauties of using a Sim is the ability to repetitively do something in a short period of time, and that is what happens with hotlaps, they are getting to the meat of the problem.

I also have a problem with certain behaviors in the sim, but there is not much you can do about it.
A case in point of the behavior thing: The last chicane on KY GP Long is usually cut at about 120mph in the XRR hotlaps slamming over the curb and the speed bumps. No driver in his right mind would attempt that more than once in the real world.
Shut up
And drive
Quote from Execution Style :
anyone else ever had a problem with the idea that a hotlap is invalid after driving on the grass or dirt *on a rallycross circuit* ??? illepall

...no problem at all. a rallycross track like every other track has it's boundaries and you are supposed to drive within these boundaries. in rallycross the same rules apply like in on tarmac racing. just because the track is not entirely made of tarmac, it doesn't mean you can drive where you want.

...and for the online racers....YES, you have to race clean on rallycross tracks too.

edit: does a driver in a tarmacrace get a penalty if he accidentally goes offtrack? i didn't knew that.
Agree to improvement proposals
I vote for:

+ Tire preheating system

+ Start from the pits

+ HLVC indicates "invalid" for going backwards
If you want realism how about starting in the pits, make your way out to the grid for the formation lap and then the start......
What is the point??? Tyres are already pre-heated. If it was not, you would start with tyres at 22 celcius or something like that. For some reason tyres can' t be pre-heated to 100 celcius, i gues it would reqiure too much energy is needed which batterys cannot supply on the startgrid.

Also with hotlapping you should start in pits, just as it should with qualifying and practice.

Well, thats my opinion
I am against preheated(hotter than now) tyres as I like the fact that in a long race after pit/tyre change you have to drive a lap or 2 on colder tyres and warm them up to get back on the pace . OK I know its not hotlapping but still a valid point?.

I think going backwards in HLVC mode should result in invalid hl but of course the next lap could still be ok , so maybe reverse driving should result in spec , pit or time penalty?

other than that warm the tyres any way you like

Ohh and starting for the pits seems more realistic to me

SD.
umm, starting from pits illepall

I dunno, but I dont want to cruise 4 minutes on Aston GP with my UF, before I can go for it

The hotlapping system is like perfecto, dont come whinging about something that works well.
Preheating the tyres is the only good idea in this thread.

One thing is saying You want to start from pits, the other thing is to actually start from pits and do those 800 hotlaps for Nutter rank ¬_¬
for pre heated tyres

im new to hotlapping and my car is the XFR, the problem im finding is that the rears just dont heat up doing laps, you really need to get that back end sliding to get them running nicely, i can actually feel the car driving better after i have snaked the car down the road and all 4 tyres are glowing green. but to do that "drifting" is pretty hard and im constantly getting invalid hotlaps because i 1) hit the grass with a wheel 2) hit a barrier while doing 3 point turns or sliding 3) burn up the tyres too much 4) roll the car over 5) bend the suspension.

this is without even starting my hotlap where i also do 1)-5)...

so yeah i find it rather frustrating doing that stuff, but i hope i will get used to it and be able to limit the amount of restarting i got to do.

it takes a while to do all that heating up and then u hit a barrier in south city and you got to do it all again.

oh well it wont stop me carrying on with how it is for now
Quote from RudiTurbo :umm, starting from pits illepall

I dunno, but I dont want to cruise 4 minutes on Aston GP with my UF, before I can go for it

It would be an inconvenience, but not exactly the end of the world. I'm sure the nutters would manage it, and it would just "look" better to start from your pit garage.

Aside from hotlapping, qualifying sessions should ALL be started from the pits, no exceptions. The current staggered system doesn't even work very well, and gives racers in certain positions, i.e 1st and last on the road usually, a significant and unfair advantage.
I guess this "starting from the pits" is about the same thing as random damage. It will bring unecessary drawbacks to the game, which are not worth the tiny bit of additional realism, because the loss of fun and playability outweigh.
This is the point where you have to decide whether you make a game, or a simulation, and LFS is still a very good game! Maybe the best game which is also a decent simulation

I agree with sinbad, though, regarding ONLINE qualifications. Starting out of the pits makes indeed sense and will have just about no disadvantages.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG