The online racing simulator
Higher Poly models
(38 posts, started )
Higher polycount does not automatically increase details. While round-shaped car like RB4 obviously could use little bit more polygons to make it look less blocky, most cars are fairly boxy by design and just increasing polycount without adding new details is pointless.

Now this leads us to the fact that most cars in LFS are based on fictional design with some small resemblances to various real cars. To add more details, you must first do some design work and sketches to figure out what works and what doesn't. This takes a lot of time and it's pretty much trial & error until you come up with something that looks great, even talented designers come up with horrible stuff once in a while and as for those without talent....well, you can look up those bodykits in last few NFS games.
#27 - senn
the updating of models has already begun, but at the end of the day, why slow the game down for looks? If all you're interested in is the appearance, this is not the game for you. Perhaps rendering static scenes that you can't drive is more your thing?
Quote :I find one mediocre looking car per month a much more interesting thought than one good looking car every 6 months.

I would go the other way. I think part of the attraction of the Scirocco is that it seems to be a bit of an evolution for LFS, and I'm not just talking about graphics, but things like the suspension system (possibly) and restricted setups etc... ie. the details.

I would really start to turn away from LFS if content became less detailed or more mediocre merely for the sake of getting stuff out there. The FBM inspired changes to the gearbox simulation- another nice little evolution. It's not really about graphics- the reason things are being delayed on the content front is because the content is actually forcing the introduction of new elements.

It's a good thing
Quote from Not Sure :Bloom is the answer!

No it ain't haha. When using it LFS either gets too dark or too bright, never seems to find the thing in between. Aswell that my eyes gets blurry and my head starts to hurt when I am using it.
Quote from senn :the updating of models has already begun, but at the end of the day, why slow the game down for looks? If all you're interested in is the appearance, this is not the game for you. Perhaps rendering static scenes that you can't drive is more your thing?

I don't usually reply to trolls, but by using the same illogical thinking I could say that if you don't care about graphics, maybe you go racing spreadsheets.
Actually model of cars are quite good and very detailed. I suggest you to take any car and look close to see that actually its really detailed.
So I definitely don't want new poly model (for now) cuz really love current.
Places that in others sims are just accented with textures in lfs have real shape.
Also I suggest you to look in cars cockpit XFG, XRG, Scirocco(in LFS Viewer)
Dude i totally love them without real time shading they look incredibly realistic and detailed.
Actually maybe I didnt played enough games to say that but i think that is one of the most realistic and detailed cockpits in sims, well the rest of the cars need update

The only thing i would like to improve its things that would make lfs look more realistic dust, rain, day and night. sights on cars after smaller crashes, sights of dirt and sand, flames from exhaust, parts of cars laying on road, better damage and stuff like that.

But i am pretty cool with 3d cars models. Textures can be replaced then lfs look simply amazing.
The only 3d model i would change its hands model current look kinda square like

Of course I don't say that it should stay like that forever but considering count of devs sry but graphic is somewhere in the middle in the list of improvements, I would like more detailed setups, better physics current is not bad but still everyone admitted there is more things to implement.

Look at the screen of cockpit of the scirocco, say it lack anything I dare you
Simply just increase the full scene anti aliasing and it would look smooth enuff.
Poly-counts are fine. The next step is to move away from the fixed-function-pipeline and get some nicer shaders, especially for the reflections.
That's true, car detail is ok but graphics engine does not support advanced shaders and now is not the time for it, forums are already full of whining on how long it has taken with Scirocco. Then you'd also have massive protests when someone's ancient computer can no longer run the game at 100fps.

Quote from hansonator69 :Simply just increase the full scene anti aliasing and it would look smooth enuff.

No, anti-aliasing does not tesselate the geometry to create smoother surfaces.
Thanks for clearing that up Crommi.
#36 - Juls
Only driver/passenger poly count is too low for me. Helmet, hands, arms, legs are obviously square and texture can not hide it.

In recent LFS videos, using nice texture packs, the driver looks like it comes from another, older game. In game menu when the driver suit is shown the first time it may give a wrong impression about the game graphic quality.
Actually at first i was a little bit pushed away by rather simple graphic.
But custom textures and "Lynce reflection pack"<--(this thing is pure killer), doubles graphics quality. (at least 4 me)
So honestly I like graphic right now and definitely wouldn't touch the 3Dmodel since they are really detailed and smooth.

If I would want to change anything I would add a few nice effects like.
cracks on the windows after crash.
Rain (I read somewhere on forum its impossible to make an reflection for rain with game engine so the rain could make just asphalt darker or something) Although its weird since even first driver on PSX have reflection on road during rain so don't know how ancient should be game engine to not allow that kind of stuff
An definitely driver models cuz even textures cant hide the fact they are square.
better impact/debris would be good although tyres flying around would cause chaos, plus it means you couldn't hobble back to the pits in enduros

Higher Poly models
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG