The online racing simulator
sound boost sliders bug (engine increases the rest too!)
It was like this before the patch but increasing the engine sound boost has a linear effect on increasing 'the other' sounds too (wind/tyres)..

Must be a bug surely as why would you have separate sliders for them yet the car engine influencing the wind and tyre sound?

hear the mp3, what happens when i put the engine boost slider from full left to full right to full left. (warning some distortion..)
Attached files
lfssound.mp3 - 317.6 KB - 416 views
#2 - SamH
I'm having this same problem today too. I've always opted to have the wind volume right down to nothing. Now I can't hear myself think at high speeds. I also can't hear anyone else speak.. difficult enough before, at high revs, but now completely impossible.

Because of the nature of reverberation, I always could crank up the engine noise but as soon as I bumped up the white noise, like wind noise, neighbours would be banging on the walls.

I can turn down the engine volume but I do like the car volume high. Now, though, it means I can't have it how I had it.. and that's making me miserable
Me too,
The wind roar is so loud with BF1 i can't hear pit spotter, + i need to use a low FOV so i can actually see the road, meaning no wing mirrors.
Online racing is a bit of a pain when i hav'nt a clue if i'm near anyone, and this thing is so damn quick, i dare'nt take a sideways glance, (maybe my brain aint quick enough for this car )

apart from that, it's stll a great patch
#4 - SamH
The wind boost is also happening here, really really loud, when I'm track-side spectating!? That ain't right. There's some definite issue here.
A 'sollution' is to open the RAW files in something like Cooledit and reduce them by 12dB..
I don't really understand the problem.

There is no "engine volume" slider. There is only a car volume slider, which does correctly affect all elements of the car volume. I will put out a note for any translators to correct this. I see that it has been wrongly translated in German.

If the wind is too loud, turn down the slider. I think you will find in a F1 car the wind volume is extremely loud. On a motorbike the wind noise is so loud you can hardly hear the engine, even at 80 mph.
#7 - avih
Quote from Scawen :I don't really understand the problem.

There is no "engine volume" slider. There is only a car volume slider, which does correctly affect all elements of the car volume. I will put out a note for any translators to correct this. I see that it has been wrongly translated in German.

If the wind is too loud, turn down the slider. I think you will find in a F1 car the wind volume is extremely loud. On a motorbike the wind noise is so loud you can hardly hear the engine, even at 80 mph.

True, yet I would love to be able to balance the wind/engine volume independantly... ATM, it gets quite annoying after a while...

any while we're at individual volumes, crash/hit volumes could use independant control as well.. eventhough I don't remember the loud crash sound happenning on S/T.
#8 - SamH
Quote from Scawen :I don't really understand the problem.

Scawen, did you change this in T4? It seems to have been fixed to great effect, but it reads here as if there's no change to be made. If I may make observations:-

I was trackside spectating before T4 and the "wind bluster" was aggressive, where obviously there's no wind bluster experience for a tracksider. The sound effect is still present with T4, though it seems less now. It shouldn't really be there at all, IMO, trackside spectating.

Also, in-car it would be great to have the option to turn off the wind bluster. While I agree absolutely that the sound, to bear ears, IRL would be quite thunderous and is well represented as such in LFS, the effect is dramatically reduced with a helmet on, and more than doubly so with ear-plugs, as to my knowledge all F1 drivers wear.

It really would be great if that particular sound effect was not present, trackside, and if there were either a bluster slider down to zero, or we could have buttons like Visor: DOWN/UP, or Earplugs: IN/OUT, or Helmet: ON/OFF.

I know you need a break, and I'm really happy with what we have now. I'm just observing, and proposing for the future
It does say 'car volume' indeed, slightly confusing as I thought that wouldn't include the rest, but thats me I suppose

Perhaps the easiest / nicest thing to do is to allow the other sliders to be set from zero instead of from 1.0 so people can tweak to their liking?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG