The online racing simulator

Poll : What do you think of a league where you have to pay an entry fee, and can earn money?

It's a good idea
I'm not sure about it
It's a bad idea
(This is a bad thread)
[Poll]Cash prize for league/Entry fees
Hi everyone !

Recently, I've seen a couple of threads speaking of a potential financial involvement of leagues and cups.
So, I am making this poll in order to gather your rich and various opinions on the matter.
Since I couldn't ask multiple questions in the poll, please take time to read the OP so that you can answer the different questions. I would really appreciate if you answered the web-poll (the one where you click) before answering the rest of the questions, so that it will give us a general idea of what you think (that you will detail with the following questions).
Thanks in advance for your participation.

Context: A league with a theme (car classes, nature of the events) very appealing to you is being created and you are eager to apply to the driver list. However, it requires you to pay an entry fee to process your application. The fee will be mainly used to financially reward several drivers after the final results are published and also will be, in a smaller proportion, dedicated to cover the running costs (server rental...). You do not have any emotional urge or grudge that will drive you to either join it or pass it instantly, and you rationally weigh the pros and cons of the idea.

Now, the questions are :

1) What amount the league's total budget should be, in order to preserve sportmanship (sum of all the entry fees) and maintain a good spirit among the drivers? (in pounds, GBP)
A. Trackday (50-100)
B. Amateur (150-250)
C. Semi Pro (350-500)
D. Profesionnal (500+)
E. Other (please explain)

2) Up to how much would you pay as an entry fee? (in pounds, GBP)
A. 1-5
B. 5-15
C. 20-50
D. 50+

3) In your opinion, which reward model among the following is the best?
A. Best driver takes-it-all
B. Shared among the top 3 drivers (e.g. : 60-25-15)
C. Best team takes-it-all
D. Shared among the top 3 team (e.g. : 60-25-15)
E. Best driver takes half and Best team takes the other half
F. Top 3 drivers take half and Top 3 teams take half
G. Proportional with the number of points in respect to the total number of points (e.g. : 1st driver has got 37% of the points and takes 37% of the prize).
H. Every member gets a small return in the end (which would be lower than the entry fees for the last members).
I. Other (please explain)

4) What reward frequency is better, in your opinion?
A. The money is shared after the league is over.
B. After each events, participants are rewarded.
C. A mix between the two previous statements.
D. Other (please explain)

5) Do you think an extra share of price should be given to drivers that did special acheivements? (highest climber/best lap/pole/highest number of leading laps/other)
A. Yes, it will stimulate people to drive better and improve the competition's level.
B. Yes, it will reward people that did exceptionnal things, but had bad luck during the rest of the race.
C. No, people will display a dirtier racing to get the acheivements.
D. No, it is unfair because usually the podium will get most of the acheivements and they will be more likely to earn even more money.
E. Other (please explain).

6) Should drivers be able to register to a single event?
A. Yes, if they pay a smaller entry fee and are not eligible for the cash prize.
B. Yes, if they pay an entry fee and can win a cash prize.
C. Yes, if they pay nothing but can not enter more than one race during the season.
D. No, they would ruin the organization.
E. No, unless they pay the same entry fee, but only to join a single event.

7) Should drivers that do not comply to the league's rules get financial penalities?
A. Yes.
B. No, they should only get sanctions from the organization (losing points, unability to register later, etc.)
C. They should get both.

8) What, in your opinion, is the best way to acheive fairness and offer relatively equal chances of winning the competition?
A. Locked setups (with admin check before the qualifications and the races).
B. Limited setup adjustability.
C. Intake/weight penalities given or lessened depending on the results and the position after each round.
D. Drivers/teams who signed up for specific events can not participate.
E. Drivers/teams need to have signed up for specific events to be able to participate.
F. Drivers with hotlaps/personnal best that are too fast can not register.
G. Other (please explain).

9) Do you think real life sponsors should provide financial aid?
A. Yes, it could help people paying the fee.
B. Yes, it would be more realistic.
C. No, it would turn the league into an advertising fest.
D. No, people would be too liable.

10) Do you think that the organizing team (management, marshalls) should get money for running the league?
A. Yes, they are sacrifying time to ensure that everything goes smoothly.
B. Yes, but a good majority of the money should be given to the participants.
C. No, it should all go to the drivers/teams.
D. Other (please explain).

11) What grid size is the best according to the league's nature, in your opinion?
A. 10-12
B. 12-16
C. 16-20
D. 20-24
E. 24-28
F. 28-32

12) Should teams be allowed to have several drivers on the starting grid, or should no more than 1 driver for each team be on the track at each time?
A. Several drivers, but up to two cars and no driver change during the event.
B. Several drivers, up to two cars and driver change are allowed
C. Only one driver per team at the same time on the track, with driver changes during the race.
D. Only one driver per team, and he has to go through all of the race.

13) What kind of series' model is better, in your opinion?
A. Shorter events but in a higher number.
B. Longer events but fewer of them.
C. Shorter and longer events to emphasize on the skill variety.
D. Other (please explain).

14) Would you be interested in organizing the league?
A. Yes, because it will add someting to LFS.
B. Yes, if Ican get money.
C. No, leagues are not my thing.
D. No, it's too much work.
E. Other (pleas explain).

15) Finally, would you/your team join such an event if the financial aspect matched your expectations?
A. Yes.
B. No.
C. Not sure.

___

Thank you guys for answering When I will have enough responses, I will post a graph with a summary of the answers

Your help is appreciated !
I'm dreaming for cash prize cups since I bought my S2 licence. I love to see the cash prize competitions in rFactor events: www.rfactorcentral.com Why we can't have them too here in Live For Speed? We can and we need (my opinion). Great idea, plus one!

My answers:

1) What amount the league's total budget should be, in order to preserve sportmanship (sum of all the entry fees) and maintain a good spirit among the drivers? (in pounds, GBP)
C. Semi Pro (350-500)

A. 1-5

H. Every member gets a small return in the end (which would be lower than the entry fees for the last members).

B. After each events, participants are rewarded.

B. Yes, if they pay an entry fee and can win a cash prize.

7) Should drivers that do not comply to the league's rules get financial penalities?
C. They should get both.

8) What, in your opinion, is the best way to acheive fairness and offer relatively equal chances of winning the competition?

10) Do you think that the organizing team (management, marshalls) should get money for running the league?

11) What grid size is the best according to the league's nature, in your opinion?
F. 28-32

12) Should teams be allowed to have several drivers on the starting grid, or should no more than 1 driver for each team be on the track at each time?

E. Need time to think about that.

15) Finally, would you/your team join such an event if the financial aspect matched your expectations?
A. Yes.

Looking forward this this event, I hope people will be interested and the result will be great!
Thank you for your time and dedication PioneerLv I know this is quite a long task, and I really appreciate your effort

As I said, for the moment I am not planning on actually organizing a league. If this idea gathers sufficient interest, I would consider it. I have some contact with companies in the car industry that may be interested in sponsoring such virtual event, to some extent, of course.
B. Amateur (150-250)

A. 1-5

5) Do you think an extra share of price should be given to drivers that did special acheivements? (highest climber/best lap/pole/highest number of leading laps/other)
C. No, people will display a dirtier racing to get the acheivements.

No real opinion about that.

B. No, they should only get sanctions from the organization (losing points, unability to register later, etc.)

G. Other (please explain).

I don't like the others propositions+I don't like ballast systems in general.

D. 20-24

E. Other (pleas explain). : I'm too noob for that.

C. Not sure.

Oh, and by the way, why do you speak in £? Only something like 60.000.000 persons are using pounds in their lives, whereas something like 400.000.000 are using euros... 350.000.000 are using dollars... And I think an average Terrian is much more familliar with dollars for several reasons.
Thanks Greybull

About the currency, I use pounds mainly because the LFS monetary system is in pounds and also since a vast share of the active forum user are from the United-Kingdom. I don't wanna use dollars, since I live in the USA since september, and I am tired of handling them

Thanks for sharing your opinions
Quote from Zen321 :Thank you for your time and dedication PioneerLv

I have some contact with companies in the car industry that may be interested in sponsoring such virtual event, to some extent, of course.

Wow! This sounds really, really great. I'm really interested in such a serious competition.

The total budget would consist of what the entry fees and sponsoring make up to. So, I'd be happy to pay 5€, and if you had a field of 30 cars...

Well I said I'd pay 5 €, probably more. 4-10£ would be suitable for a season.

G. Proportional with the number of points in respect to the total number of points (e.g. : 1st driver has got 37% of the points and takes 37% of the prize).
Dividing it with all drivers is not really realistic, but more than one, or three places should matter!

Championship all the way.

No. Why not simply give points that affect the overall score for those?

Obviously exeptions would be replacing a driver who is leaving the series. Maybe it would be good to have a team-basedness and making it up to the teams to fill their driver seats? Like real life?

A. Yes.
Well if a driver has earned something, the officials could also penalize him by taking some of it away. On the other hand if you would get payed by your overall point score, you could simply deduct points.

B. Limited setup adjustability.
C. Intake/weight penalities given or lessened depending on the results and the position after each round.
D. Drivers/teams who signed up for specific events can not participate.
G. Other (please explain)

Okay so locked setup would be fair. BUT, it's not ideal, since sets that are bad to drive are... well bad to drive. Limiting setup changes could be a reasonable move as well. Weight/restriction penalties would make the races more even, and thus I am all up for it! I don't like people who are not committed to the series and simply run one or two special events, not thanks.

Yes anything we can get to spread the word of LFS and simracing. And it would make drivers more liable, which is a good thing.

If there is a reasoning for it! It's hasn't been impossible to find volunteers this far, but they could all get a cookie for what they do.

F. 28-32

The more the merrier? Many cars on track is only a plus.

C. Shorter and longer events to emphasize on the skill variety.

If you do contact your car industry friends, you can throw me a pm. Unless It's something I'm überpro at, and have already signed up as a racer

A. Yes.

Say, if the iTCC had a small entry fee I'd pay for my teammate as well.. But it does take the series to really be good for someone to pay the fee, especially when you/your team is not a top one. (and yes, I realise I just wrote you is not a top one :really
Thanks hytty !

I am starting to see different points where people seem to agree, and where you guys seem to have divergent positions, so this is getting very interesting

On a side note, this is the first time I see that, but each time I check the poll results (I didn't vote my self to keep the fairness of it), each of the four options has got 25% of the votes (like each had got 1 vote, then 2, and now 3), which is really rare to have in statistics
Any news?

B. Amateur (150-250)

A. 1-5

A. Yes, it will stimulate people to drive better and improve the competition's level.

8) What, in your opinion, is the best way to achieve fairness and offer relatively equal chances of winning the competition?

E. Drivers/teams need to have signed up for specific events to be able to participate.

D. 20-24

B. Longer events but fewer of them.

D. No, it's too much work.

A. Yes.

These are my 2 cents... uhmm 15

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG