The online racing simulator
So many fast drivers, such bad racers
Just got myself banned from the [FM]Fox Junkies server for apparently being too slow through a corner.
Met with the message Learn to drive and was subsequently kicked.

Sure I was slow through the final corner but being myself a careful driver got me wondering why so many fast drivers are absolutely rubbish when you put them in a race situation.

I tend to slow down a touch into the first corner for example to give myself some time to drive around spinning cars and generally have a chuckle at the carnage.
Sometimes this works but most of the time I'm just rear ended by players who think they're on a hotlap with no other cars about.
And the same today, final corner on SO Town and bang! A quicker driver up my arse (no blue flag, we're on the same lap), I'm out fo the race, then out of the server for being crap.

What are the more inexperienced drivers supposed to do exactly?
I always pull over for blue flags but if you want to get past me in normal race conditions. Hey why not try overtaking????

This does not send out a good message to the inexperienced drivers and I would have thought these "admins" would be trying to encourage growth within this game, not create a little niche.
With on average around 1000 players online at any one time it seems it's the former that LFS needs....

Anyhoo, banned now so that's one less to clog up that server.

Happy Racing (I mean hotlapping....)
#2 - J@tko
Were you banned by an admin or vote ban?
I didn't see a vote.
Happened pretty quickly so I just assumed admin. Might be wrong though, don't really know how it works.
I didn't upset any other racers to my knowledge though.
#4 - J@tko
Seems a bit odd because the [FM] dudes are pretty good guys

Maybe go onto their forum [google Fragmaster] and ask why?
#5 - 5haz
TBH I really wouldn't bother with that server when it's busy, when it's a bit emptier it's great fun, but if the number of connections is over about 15, don't bother? Same applies to any popular server really.

OT: Did you get your forum name from a song?
Yeah, this tends to happen....

I remember back in day, had a guy rage at me because i didnt let him pass, even tho he wasnt lapping me. Apparently, because hes quicker than me, i should of gave him the place..
Quote from 5haz :OT: Did you get your forum name from a song?

Might have done Looks like you know which one.

I was tempted to go investigate the ban but I figure I'm not gonna get 4 seconds a lap quicker in an instant so I'm better off away from it :P

I do love a busyish server (maybe not that big)
It can be a right laugh and it's great to finish on the podium knowing that I am slower than alot of racers there who have the inability to go round a corner in anything than 3 cars abreast :P
Unfortunately today twice times in raw i failed to start with everyone.
Second gear shift almost after first and engine stall.
Dude who started behind me every time just drive in to my tail and start to yell something on chat.
I ignore it but still why did he not avoid me or at least did not try to start a little bit slower i mean i am a new driver i don't have to be as fast as this dude also I can make mistakes
Quote from Driver 8 :Just got myself banned from the [FM]Fox Junkies server for apparently being too slow through a corner.
Met with the message Learn to drive and was subsequently kicked.

Since there was message i think this was admin i don't know how in lfs but in other games admin when kick/ban gives the reason.
Actually i wonder why do you get baned, I race there from time to time and usually there is cool guys.
I mean share setup, give advice how to drive and all
Since its oval there a few rules you have to abide.
Press 4 and drive on green line its makes racing easier for everyone.
If someone behind you he usually draft so he is quicker than you so if you know someone is close behind you its better to move from green line on outer side of the turn so he my pass inside .
And since its oval there is no braking is required at all.

So my thoughts maybe you where blocking players or didn't drive on green line or didnt let ppl pass on inside.
Did something like this?

Anyway if tomorow server refuse connection make a post on their forum.
Wish you luck
Meh, I was in that server a few days ago, there were some jerks, not FM guys though. I didn't get kicked but was told I should leave because I was 10 seconds behind everyone. *shrug* I understand how some old timers can be upset with newbies, but I wasn't causing any crashes or even holding anyone up really, I know what a blue flag is and obey it.

I agree though Driver 8, it doesn't send out a good message to us newer guys when there are people like that in the server, but oh well, what can you do.

And yeah, I have been taken out of a race a couple times as well because of someone hitting me in the back, I go off, they go on their merry way. It sucks because you're trying to survive turn 1 by not being taken out by anyone in the middle, but taken out anyways
Actually turn one is the main reason why i don't try to start as fast as i can and all the way to turn one i drive a little slower than anyone else and usually I start to gently pushing the brake 150 meters before turn so everyone behind me can easily avoid me calmly and make a major crash on first turn and then my chance is passing them slow and calmly seeing from distance where damaged cars are standing and usually have enough time and space to avoid every crashed racer

Actually funny thing but when I start with pack of 30 racers I am very noob so don't have any good setups and my time is usually 10 seconds below everyone else but anyway I come to the finish something about 12-15 its normal amount of cars which end the race everyone else is or very damaged or just quit race.
Often i overtake ppl while they standing in sand and even if they make it out of sand and overtake me I will meet them in sand sooner or later
So the key is not being fast but just to drive the whole track without crashes or damaged your car.
The best strategy so far

Useful stuff: http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/B ... guides#Surviving_Turn_One

Also in the manual there is a lot of good advices for new racers and useful hints.
this one is my favorite
Quote :You will not be able to win a race on the first corner, only lose it

Actually I heavily advice you to read manual a lot of explanation about settings and race strategy, extremely useful stuff a little bit outdated but still must read
Yeah I've read that a couple times, that's why I try to go slow into T1, but end up getting taken out anyways
Actually i am not going slow in turn I am let everyone to overtake me before turn so they can cause a major mayhem ahead without involving me so i can take this turn without unnecessary nerves

But if you have such a problem i think its also servers you racing on, cuz i have race on some servers where I actually going into T1 with everyone without worries that someone will crash me cuz ppl actually try to race and there is usually no T1 mayhem.
Dont know maybe its their skill, experience, unfortunatelly there is not much servers like this
Thats what i do, if im on the back row i just stay still and wait for the other cars to get going, or if not i pull over onto the grass and wait a few seconds to let them all past.

That way, hopefully by the time i get to T1 all the carnage has already happened and i am able to pick my way through the stranded and wrecked cars and overtake the slow moving recovering ones.
I'll have to try hanging back a little bit maybe, although I am still a newbie, so there's a good chance I won't be able to catch up, lol.

I'm not winning any races, but I figure if I can at least finish the race with my car in decent shape I'm at least in the right direction.
Honestly i didn't win any races so far cuz i am quite new to game and my sets compared to better players just sux.
Also sets downloading from different sites doesn't seems to work for me so maybe its not just set but also my lam3 skill
But anyway by letting them wreck themselves on T1 i have decent position somewhere in the middle of the stack and my car is in a good shape as well as my nerves so why not. It would be hard to get that position by just racing them anyway cuz most of ppl who quit races or destroy their cars on first corner have times about 7-10 seconds better than my pb.
They just having problems with surviving the whole race in one piece
And I just taking advantage of it.

Maybe if I learn how to drive and make some decent sets so I can actually win a race or at least race with the others on equal terms i will change my strategy and instead of letting some ppl i will try to secure the position but its doesn't make sense when the risk is greater than possible gain.

Actually a very few servers is Exception where you actually can go into turn1 with everyone without bigger risk but its just few servers.
They have this kind of careful drive style presented by players enforced by very strict rules and the fact that with small mistake or even shunt anyone you will risk ban
„Dura lex sed lex”

PS. I did win a few races in demo so it wasn't all losses and defeats
I find the "faster" drivers I have raced against are actualy quite horrible at handeling other cars around them.

It seems alot of people concentrate completely on going as fast as possible and completely ignore the other aspects of racing technique.

I deliberately go slower alot of the time because I know that a good percentage of the time the "faster" drivers will either fail due to overdriving thier setup or knock eachother out of the race. I have won a fue races this way, with nothing but concistency.

It is different with leauge races I would assume. And definately different for alot of the drivers who take competetive racing seriously. I just have yet to see either. I would hope that if I where to race someone who can handel a position battle that I would be able to give them a good fight.
Quote from Driver 8 :

Sometimes this works but most of the time I'm just rear ended by players who think they're on a hotlap with no other cars about.

Happy Racing (I mean hotlapping....)

You're not wrong matey. Theres many a fast driver out there, but fast racers are a different and much rarer breed.
I was on this server yesterday, and i cant comment on yourself exactly but there was countless times when i was lapping a backmarker who was under the blue flag and i actually got rammed into the barrier. It was the same situation under non blue flag conditions where drivers were actually driving into me to stop me passing them, but to do it when you're blue flagged is more frustrating. Sure there have been times where when blue flagged myself i might wait until its a good spot to slow and let the driver pass and maybe they think ive taken too long, but crashing into someone, ramming them into the barrier hittings the brakes to a stop from high speed directly in front of you is just not good driving. Perhaps incidents such as these are the cause for your kick from the server as there were so many incidents people were getting frustrated at not being able to race.

ps. i am not a fast driver, i just try to drive safe and fairly.
When I am at least one lap behind and i see there is a lot of cars coming behind me I usually or make a stop somewhere where no one will make me regret it or simply SHIFT+S.
unfortunattely lately i have to stop in pit exit there where 15 cars in close pack coming at high speed and turn wasn't far from here so i just didn't want to take any chances of being reason for EPIC FAIL but unfortunatelly there was some guy who intentionally speed while exiting pit and hit me from behind at pit end with great speed so i was flying straight in front of all cars spinning like crazy Good thing i spectate in time
The dude i dont know is he disconnect after or what but for a moment here i wanted him and all his family dead
I think there are just a lot of people who are new and just like in real driving, forget to look around sometimes. I know I've done it a couple times, forget to check left of me before drifting over and *bump*.

But it's pretty lame if someone intentionally rams you. That's okay for Gran Turismo or Need for Speed, but it's definitely not cool in LFS.
Unfortunately I don't have my PlayStation connected to Internet but its definitely not ok.
Not for Gran Turismo which is pretty good game not for Need For Speed. I mean its just bitchy attitude and not something that should be OK unless you play burnout
Well when I was younger I played GT2. But it was an awesome technique to go too fast into a corner and use the AI cars as a wall around to get by them and keep your speed up. It worked great!
Aaaa you meant this i thought you speakin bout multilayer
Yea its works great.
But on replays it look lam3
I always aim at good technically and clean race in GT but funny thing GT its pretty much the only racing game which is game between race.
I mean watching replays, looking in shops with used cars for some rare stuff not available in shops arranging sceneries in photomode there is so much to do.
And the best replays not before not after GT I have never seen better replays.
Can not remember You driver 8 getting banned yesterday, might have been by an admin, might have been by a vote to ban initiated by someone.

However there have been drivers lately who simply dont respect other drivers on track, they dont leave room, miss their braking points, ramming into other people, ignoring blue flags for several laps, rejoining track without bothering to check if someone is coming etc..
Sometimes when someone is faster than a car in front, and tries to overtake that guy, the front guy wont acknowledge that he is about to get passed and will do Anything to make sure that guy wont get passed(illegal moves and such)
This is of course very frustrating for those trying to have some good close and fair racing!
I wish I had a solution to all of this, but I`m affraid I dont..

Anyway a vote ban is no more than 12 hours, and 90% of the time a ban from an admin is no more than 12 hours. Sometimes people do get banned unfairly, but 90% of the time there are reasons for it(U might have been in that 10% area for all I know). I think no admin enjoys having to ban someone..

If You are unbanned today, we would be happy to see You come back for some good racing!
I will come back and visit, been on the server a few times and have quite enjoyed my stay.

Seems this is a common problem though, glad I'm not the only one in some respects

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG