The online racing simulator
think lfs will run on this?
(11 posts, started )
if i take my 6600gt out of my prescott 3.0E machine and put it in my xp2000+/384DDR400, would LFS run on that? the mobo supports agp 8x, so that part should be covered, but is the cpu/ram too little?

i've seen other threads asking "how low can you go", but i was hoping for a more recent answer.

thanks
I remember running it on an XP1800+ w/ 512DDR and an FX5200... I managed to push about 30fps on avg out of it... albeit it was a LONG time ago ...
Of course it'll run, if LFS can run on Intel GMA graphics it can run on anything.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Of course it'll run, if LFS can run on Intel GMA graphics it can run on anything.

i was more concerned about the amount of memory than anything... although i must say i tried it once on a p3-1ghz with onboard intel and i got 2 fps and a hardlock.
I cant see it being very good, but it should be driveable in a smaller grid, maybe <5 cars or so.

My old pc had 256mb ram, a 1.8ghz p3 cpu and an OLD mx440 card and i could run at about 10-15 fps with 4 other cars, but that was running no AA/AF.

Looking at the stats you mentioned, they are better than my old pc in comparison, especially the GFX card, so although it probably won't be pretty, it should run, if a little slow.
I've run LFS on a Pentium 2 before, with a Radeon 9200SE. Fine, I only got about 5FPS on my own but it ran. Only way to tell how well it'll run is to try it, but I can't see it not working at all on an Athlon XP system
I spent a while trying to get LFS running on my bro in laws old pc (512mb ram, 1.8ghz P4). Turns out the GFX card was a tiny little ATI 32mb thing from years ago. Couldnt even manage 1fps, it was like a slideshow!

I gave him my old nvidia fx5500 and he now has aa/af at half way and can get a healthy 50-60fps, which is more worryingly, better than i get, and i have a radeon hd2600 pro, twice as much ram, and a bigger cpu than he does.
Quote from danthebangerboy :and a bigger cpu than he does.

i dont think the SIZE of the processor has anything to do with it

but yeah, lfs runs on pretty much anything.. if u can emulate Windows and run LFS on a MAC then it work on every piece of machine.. (almost)
Quote from Feffe85 :i dont think the SIZE of the processor has anything to do with it

but yeah, lfs runs on pretty much anything.. if u can emulate Windows and run LFS on a MAC then it work on every piece of machine.. (almost)

Virtualisation =! emulation, nor does Boot Camp
finally got windows installed on that machine after spending two days repeatedly trying to get it installed (for some reason it wouldn't boot after the first part of the install phase)...

i've only tried it offline, but it runs better than my other machine... and that machine is a P4-3.0E with 2gb of DC-DDR800, with the same video card (XFX 6600gt AGP8x)...

i swear, it's like night and day... double the FPS, things look a lot smoother... i can enable AA/AF now... and because i'm not using wine, i don't have the same issues i did before with the shifter not shifting, or the pedals sticking, or the wheel chucking uncontrollably.

i think i'm going to be happy with this machine.
Have been playing lfs with me Geeforce 4 i 4200, 512 ddr ram and AMD xp 2000+ that has been since late 2001. i can run full grid in muliplayer with mid to low details just fine.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG