The online racing simulator
TEST Patch T3 - OPTIONAL - Small Update 1MB
(75 posts, closed, started )
Quote from csimpok :What about the option that we could determine which tyres we want to change and whether we want the car to be repaired or not? Is it possible to do in a small compatible patch like this? (It would be good )

No. I could think of hundreds of small features like that, and it would add up to a year's work. I'm not trying to add features at all. I am very tired from the patch. I am just trying to make a stable version without bugs in it, so I can leave it and take some time off and recover.
#27 - SamH
Scawen..
Thanks for the updated exe. I'll install and test thoroughly (though T worked perfectly out of the box for me).

On the dedicated host front, would it be possible to consider changing the bans.ban file handling so that during a ban, the bans.ban file is read into memory, the new ban inserted, and the file written immediately? Also, when a new guest connects, the dedi checks to see if the bans.ban file has been modified since last loading (in case the new connection is banned from other servers running from the same bans.ban file)

The above is just my theory on how to achieve an effective bans.ban file. I'm not a programmer, so I'm only going on what I BELIEVE is happening at the moment versus what I believe would work better. You da boss. I've just been hitting big problems up til T, where multiple server configs are running from one exe and the bans we're asserting aren't sticking after servers are restarted/reinit'd.

[EDIT to add] I'll devote any and all time required to test.. and I'll willingly ban any of our team from our servers, if it will help. Hell, I'll even quit my day job to give more time to it (it's a sucky job anyway). At your disposal.
Excellent work so far Scawen!
You really deserve some time off.

Micha
Quote from Scawen :No. I could think of hundreds of small features like that, and it would add up to a year's work. I'm not trying to add features at all. I am very tired from the patch. I am just trying to make a stable version without bugs in it, so I can leave it and take some time off and recover.

Respect!
Quote from SamH :On the dedicated host front, would it be possible to consider changing the bans.ban file handling...

Been thinking a bit, and it seems fairly simple and safe to do a change. How does this sound?

- Load at startup (funny thing is this one might not be needed)
- Load on entering bans screen (in non-dedi version)
- Load before any "check if connecting user is banned"
- Load before adding or removing a ban
- Save after any change (ban / unban / time change)
- Don't save on exit LFS

It seems to me that would cover all situations. Any ban on any of your hosts would automatically take effect in your other hosts which share the same folder. You could also use an external ban editor successfully if required.
#31 - SamH
Sounds perfect to me! Brill!
#32 - axus
This is freaking me out... I don't know if its a bug or not but when I'm driving the BF1 on a track, when I go over a bump the in-game wheel turns quite a bit (I'd say up to 5degrees, depending on the bump) while I'm keeping the wheel in my hands in the same position. Also, I don't feel any FF from this. It looks really odd. Is this a bug?
T3 going fine for me in some limited testing. For loading the bans on startup, yeah probably not needed but it would be a good place to check the bans.ban file for any errors before it actually goes to use the file
#34 - SamH
Scawen, I've just discovered a bizarre one. I noticed it as soon as the new patch came out, and thought it was my lousy config file authoring when I was rushing to get 20 servers up and running. I just added another server, in response to a request from another thread, and found the same bug re-occurring. I wonder if you could check into it:

/host=^1ukct.net ^6Blackwood UFR XFR
/admin=***********
/ip=***.***.***.***
/port=63221
//insim=47204
/mode=s2
/usemaster=yes
/track=Blackwood
/config=1
/reversed=no
/weather=1
/cars=ufr+xfr
/maxguests=23
/carsmax=20
/carshost=1
/carsguest=1
/pps=6
/qual=0
/laps=15
//hours=24
/wind=0
/dedicated=nogfx
/vote=no
/select=no
/autokick=spectate
/midrace=yes
/mustpit=yes
/start=finish

This loads Blackwood with the UFR and XFR, but laps are at 1.

If I kill it, change track to "/track=Aston" and start up, it's ready to go at 15 laps. Kill it, change back to "/track=Blackwood" and start up.. laps back to 1.

More hassle than you need and less "pressing" for me, but I thought I'd draw your attention to it if you're already elbow-deep in dedi code
Is there a (possibly empty) Blackwood autocross layout in the layouts folder?

Empty layouts have the undesirable effect of setting the number of laps.
Quote from Scawen :

Been testing that a bit. It seems that I disabled cut and blip when manual clutch is set, because when using auto cut, the throttle can get stuck off, because it seems that it cuts the throttle until the clutch is pressed. And that was just confusing.

It looks like I can re-enable blip on downshifts with manual clutch, as long as I don't enable throttle cut on upshifts with manual clutch. I hope to release test patch T3 within a couple of hours so you can try it out.

That's awesome.. thank you. I never used throttle cut anyway- so that's perfect. Throttle cut is a lot easier to do by yourself anyway- usually not braking at the time :-)
#37 - SamH
Quote from Scawen :Is there a (possibly empty) Blackwood autocross layout in the layouts folder?

Yes there was! Now there isn't! It was broken! Now it isn't!

Thanks Scawen!
Quote from axus :This is freaking me out... I don't know if its a bug or not but when I'm driving the BF1 on a track, when I go over a bump the in-game wheel turns quite a bit (I'd say up to 5degrees, depending on the bump) while I'm keeping the wheel in my hands in the same position. Also, I don't feel any FF from this. It looks really odd. Is this a bug?

That happens to me in a lot of cars- but I can feel it on the FF.. It is weird that the wheel moves differently that in your hands.. but it is a kind of cool affect. It happens like when you are turning and go aver a small bump- the ff gives out a second for me though, while the wheel on screen is turning a little and then when it lands back down it straightens out to what I have in my hand.

It has happened ever since I can remember though. It would be nice if it just stayed put with the wheel in hand though.
#39 - SamH
Quote from BWX232 :It would be nice if it just stayed put with the wheel in hand though.

I suspect that, if your FFB were strong enough to be accurate, the wheel in your hand WOULD move in direct correlation to the one on-screen.

The first thing F1 drivers learn from hitting a wall is that the LAST thing they wanna be doing is holding the steering wheel at the point of impact. Many broken thumbs have been suffered at the "hands" of the F1 wheel.
Quote from axus :This is freaking me out... I don't know if its a bug or not but when I'm driving the BF1 on a track, when I go over a bump the in-game wheel turns quite a bit (I'd say up to 5degrees, depending on the bump) while I'm keeping the wheel in my hands in the same position. Also, I don't feel any FF from this. It looks really odd. Is this a bug?

I've noticed this too, but not only in BF1 and not only in this version.
Quote from SamH :I suspect that, if your FFB were strong enough to be accurate, the wheel in your hand WOULD move in direct correlation to the one on-screen.

The first thing F1 drivers learn from hitting a wall is that the LAST thing they wanna be doing is holding the steering wheel at the point of impact. Many broken thumbs have been suffered at the "hands" of the F1 wheel.

Actually mine does move, just not as much as the one in the car..

What happens is like this- I am forcing against the FF in a felt hand turn.. I go over a small bump in the road and the front tires must go off the ground for a fraction of a second.

At the same time- (exactly the same time).. the FF goes limp and I turn more left.. for a second.. but the wheel on the screen goes more left.. Then when the front wheels "land" the FF strength returns.. And it force my hand back to the right a little- but the steering wheel in car goes back a little further then rebounds again to catch up--

I am using 256 or 512 FF steps though...
Quote from Scawen :Changes in Test Patch T3

FIX : Croatian should be selected by default on Croatian computer.

Verified, works fine now! Thanks, Scawen!
-
((SaM)) DELETED by (SaM)
#43 - ekze
Hmm... Seems dedicated server T3 doesn't work for demo... only S2...
Quote from SamH :Sounds perfect to me! Brill!

OK, it's done.

Please can you try T4 as soon as possible and let me know if it works ok.

You can now ban someone on one host and he will be banned on all (as described in post 30).
Quote from ekze :Hmm... Seems dedicated server T3 doesn't work for demo... only S2...

I can't see why that could be. I've just tested T4 dedi and it works for demo. Didn't change anything regarding Demo / S1 / S2.
I just had a crash (T3) which is related to a graphic error I got since some weeks. I think the graphic error is related to some bug in the ATI drivers, because it already happened with S2Q. Just posting the crash address here anyway, maybe you can see where exactly it crashes.

To the graphic problem: It happens after some time when switching between windowed and full screen several times (e.g. for screenshots). Suddenly the game begins to stutter and all textures seem to get flushed. The FPS goes down to about 1 FPS or less and it either crashes or I have to exit LFS with the task manager.

It happens to other people as well, all having an ATI card of the 9600-9800 range.

This screenshot is from the viewer, but it looks exactly the same in-game:
Attached images
crash.gif
Quote from Scawen :Is there a (possibly empty) Blackwood autocross layout in the layouts folder?

Empty layouts have the undesirable effect of setting the number of laps.

Wait, so how do we clear the track layout when we want a clean park with no laps?
Quote from Klichka :Wait, so how do we clear the track layout when we want a clean park with no laps?

/axclear
#49 - ekze
Quote from Scawen :I can't see why that could be. I've just tested T4 dedi and it works for demo. Didn't change anything regarding Demo / S1 / S2.

hm... as you can see here http://www.lfsworld.net/?win=h ... p;whichTab=demo&abc=2, there is no T3 servers in demo, ive just seeing for server there, but maybe its some lfsw bug...
(i didn't look in ingame servers list)
#50 - SamH
Quote from Scawen :OK, it's done.

Please can you try T4 as soon as possible and let me know if it works ok.

You can now ban someone on one host and he will be banned on all (as described in post 30).

Upgraded our dedis, and nabbed me a victim (thanks JohnUK89!).

Banned from one of our S2 servers, he couldn't rejoin, OR join other S2 servers.

Unbanned from the first, and he was immediately able to rejoin any of our S2s.

NB: He was able to join Demo servers while under a ban. For me, that's not an issue. I was specifically looking for S2 server integrity, and it's there with T4.

Thanks millions, Scawen!
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG