The online racing simulator
totally unimportant, but kinda neat...
another step to realism... THEY GOT RID OF THE DOWNSHIFT LIGHT! (yay!)

under options now it's "manual shift indicator" and "yes" or "no"

no "shift up only" "shift up and down" and "off"

yay
#2 - Bosse
Shouldn't there be autoshifting up on the BF1?

Don't they have semi-automatic gearbox in F1? Or do i remember wrong?
#3 - (SaM)
They do have a semi-automatic gearbox. The gear is switched by the touch of a single paddle button, and the clutch paddle.
It's not a fully automatic though. A fully automatic box would shift up by itself or like a road car automatic wich doesnt even shift but has a varying cog and clutch system.
SEMI-Automatic. The driver initiates it with paddles behind the wheel. Fully automatic 'boxes were banned a few years ago after an appearence of auto-upshifting systems got all over the place.

It strikes me as though an awful lot of people think they know about F1, but actually only no misinformation... Almost every thread has someone think F1 has this, or F1 used to have that. Don't make stuff up because you heard a pidgeon mention it in a fish and chip shop on a rainy Wednesday.
Quote from tristancliffe :Don't make stuff up because you heard a pidgeon mention it in a fish and chip shop on a rainy Wednesday.

Aww man There goes my next thread
alot of new sports cars are comming onto the market with an auto matic and an option to use paddles

ferrari has had it for awhile now in there cars ... cousin has it in her Celicat GT S now ... prefere a real stick shift but hey its fun when your not in New York Traffic haha
#7 - Bosse
Quote from tristancliffe :SEMI-Automatic. The driver initiates it with paddles behind the wheel. Fully automatic 'boxes were banned a few years ago after an appearence of auto-downshifting systems got all over the place.

It strikes me as though an awful lot of people think they know about F1, but actually only no misinformation... Almost every thread has someone think F1 has this, or F1 used to have that. Don't make stuff up because you heard a pidgeon mention it in a fish and chip shop on a rainy Wednesday.

Hey Tristan, calm down :P
I thought they had autoshifting up but now down. But now I know! Thanks for that.

And I have never said that i know alot of something at all. I thought that semi-automatic is automatic in one way... And i don't "make stuff up", I asked if they have it, i didn't say that they have.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
That wasn't a dig at you actually - it was more of a general post. Today (and yesterday) there seems to have been an influx of people who have made up fact in their heads about F1 and now believe them. Like the 1600hp qually engines (not that high). You're was just the one that got the sarcy comment on the bottom - no harm meant to you, honest

And be aware, typos can strike at any moment and any place. For example I may have typed auto downshifting earlier when I actually meant up shifting. That's what happens if you type quickly whilst grumpy. Will edit now [shame mode] Alothough I think some did have modes to shift from, say, 7th to 2nd for certain corners.
Quote :alot of new sports cars are comming onto the market with an auto matic and an option to use paddles

Including the Smart car, which boasts the slowest gear changes since Giovanni Amati was in F1.

Quote :Don't make stuff up because you heard a pidgeon mention it in a fish and chip shop on a rainy Wednesday.

I think it's more a case of out-dated information rather than having the wrong information. Sometimes I struggle to keep up with F1 and i'm a die hard fan.
Quote :semi-automatic

A term used to refer to weapons, that only require repeated trigger pulls to repeatedly fire.

No lift sequential shifters - the term used (at least in USA) for the tranny setup in cars like the F1 series. It's a sequential shifting mechanical transmission, similar to the ones used on motorcycles, but it's computer controlled, hit a button or paddle, and engine fuel/spark is cut off while the shift occurs. The computer even controls the clutch in the case of launch control, which F1 used to have.

In addition to fast shift times, less wear on the rear tires occurs, which is important with the current F1 rules.

A popular no-lift sequential shifter for race car is XTRAC, take a look at champions or site map to see a fairly large list of race cars that use XTRAC shifters. In addition, club racers with money to burn will put them in their track cars.

http://www.xtrac.com/mainindex.htm

Shift times are 30ms to 50ms. According to the first link below, it's only worth .25 seconds per lap, but the next one states it's up to 1 second per lap in F1 over a conventional shifting setup. Take tire wear issues into account and it makes even more difference.

http://www.autoracing1.com/MarkC/000802ShiftWithOutLift.htm

http://www.linksheaven.com/for ... sion/index.php/t3841.html

Video of Rolf Van Os driving a BMW 320 STW race car with a fast no lift sequential shifter:

Assen-bmwSTW.wmv
Quote from Becky Rose :I think it's more a case of out-dated information rather than having the wrong information. Sometimes I struggle to keep up with F1 and i'm a die hard fan.

Yep, F1 is like computer technology. The development goes so quickly its really hard to keep up with it. Specially all the rules.
FWIW
Street cars now have four basic transmission types.

Automatic
Multiple internal clutch packs and usually containing some form of planetary gear system. The driver does not need to shift at all. Some automatics come with an option for the driver to select gears manually, but they are still an automatic transmission. The shifts can be slow compared to a manual or SMG.

Manual
The driver operates a clutch and gear shift lever. The gear shifting is normally in the standard H pattern.

Sequential manual gearbox
This gearbox is basically the same as a manual transmission, but some mechanism, usually hydraulic or electrical, operates the clutch for the driver. The drive selects gears. The driver cannot skip gears, like going from 2nd to 4th. The shifting sequence is like what a motorcycle uses. The shifter can be a stick (common in sports cars and rally cars), or paddles. In street cars, this type of system can be setup to be completely automatic too where the driver does not select gears at all. But the system still has just one clutch that is external to the gearbox. A good example of this is the BMW SMG (sequential manual gearbox) found mostly in the M3. I don't know for a fact, but I believe this is the basic type of gearbox found in an F1 car.

Continuous Variable
This has long been a theory in transmissions but is just now starting to see use in street cars. Audi is the first in the modern era (that I have heard of) that uses this type of gearbox. There are no real shifts in this system. It continuously varies the gear ratio based on the car speed and engine load. It can be setup to be totally smooth where no shift type hesitations can be felt. The driver can select "gears", but this just tells the transmission where to go to. I believe the Audi has been setup to actually give a bit of a hesitation so the driver can feel the shift and know it has been done.
Quote from Hallen :
Continuous Variable
This has long been a theory in transmissions but is just now starting to see use in street cars. Audi is the first in the modern era (that I have heard of) that uses this type of gearbox. There are no real shifts in this system. It continuously varies the gear ratio based on the car speed and engine load. It can be setup to be totally smooth where no shift type hesitations can be felt. The driver can select "gears", but this just tells the transmission where to go to. I believe the Audi has been setup to actually give a bit of a hesitation so the driver can feel the shift and know it has been done.

yeh my Dad had this on his Audi TT 3.2 L. It feel quite weird but it's nice to have continuous power
Quote from Hallen :Street cars now have four basic transmission types.

You forgot about DSG..

"Essentially, the engine drives two clutch packs simultaneously. The outer clutch pack drives gears 1, 3, and 5 (and reverse). The inner clutch pack drives gears 2, 4, and 6. Instead of a standard large clutch plate, each clutch pack is a collection of four smaller stacked clutch plates, due to space constraints. Because the alternate clutch pack's gearing can be pre-selected, upshifts occur in an impressive 80 ms, though downshifts still take 600 to 900 ms."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-Shift_Gearbox
Quote from tristancliffe :That wasn't a dig at you actually - it was more of a general post. Today (and yesterday) there seems to have been an influx of people who have made up fact in their heads about F1 and now believe them. Like the 1600hp qually engines (not that high). You're was just the one that got the sarcy comment on the bottom - no harm meant to you, honest

And be aware, typos can strike at any moment and any place. For example I may have typed auto downshifting earlier when I actually meant up shifting. That's what happens if you type quickly whilst grumpy. Will edit now [shame mode] Alothough I think some did have modes to shift from, say, 7th to 2nd for certain corners.

To be fair in F1 the rules change so many times (even throughout a season) that it is easy to misplace something as fact.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG