The online racing simulator
A Hopefully helpful thread on Patch T setups.
Having noticed a few people struggle to come up with good lap times whilst still using the old patch setups I thought I would jot down what I have done to make me competative. I hope you find it helpful, this does concentrate on the rear wheel drive closed wheelers. As thats what I drive predominatly, but I think some of the general principles will stretch to other race car types. This is just a reaction to some people who seem to be struggling in applying changes to the adapt to the new physics and tyre grip improvements.

Ok. This is what I have done. (These are very specific changes for the FZR and I am a mouser. A few times for you: 58.54 As Club; 1.42.02 As Nat. 2.14.02 Ky Long GP. But like I said, basic principle can probs be applied acroos many of the LFS cars. Except the F1, which I have no idea about and am still learning how to set the thing up, man that thing is fast.)

So.

1 - Lower and stiffen the suspension. As the high nose bug as been lessened if not eliminated and the low speed grip issue remedied then the suspension can be lowered and stiffened to quite some considerable degree. (To the limits given by the race track of course) Having more basic mechanical grip means a stiff suspension setup will not create an uncontrolalble car as before.

2 - Raise the tyre pressures. You can also do this by quite a bit, just raise them untill either the tyre wear becomes an issue or braking becomes a problem. This give you the benefit of greater straight line speed and more direct steering inputs as the contact patch is reduced and the rigidity of the tyre returns to more realistic parameters.

3 - Reduce downforce. Again becasue of more basic grip and the rear end being less likely to trip you out the race the downforce can be brought down considerable. Just keep reducing untill you feel the car slipping on the limits of adhesion and dial some back in if you feel you need too. With less downforce you have more straight line speed.

4 - decrease 1st gear length. With the rear rubber gripping so much more, bogging at the start has become an issue so reduce the length of 1st and increase the locking power of the clutch, more tyre grip, less need to compenstate with low locking power. For fellow mousers you could think about timming back 2nd and possible 3rd from you normal setting. Again this wonderful new rear grip means you can put more power down without the fear of stepping out, lower gear ratios means greater acceleration.

5 - Reduce rear toe in. More toe in, whilst increasing stability can leech away your outright speed. You don't need so much anymore to keep control of that wayward rear so bring the wheels back to the straight and narrow.

6 - Increase your braking power. Even mousers can get nearly 1500 N/m out of the brakes now(depending on tyre pressures and camber settings). I run 1440 on my AS. Nat setup. But that varies and mouse users need to keep the Braking power lower than pedal users . . .

7 - Fuel. I have noticed a decrease (In the FZR) of the amount it drinks. So check out F12 and bring down your fuel assignment to compensate.

8 - Colour. Red. It's proven to be the fastest colour. So change to red and you'll be knocking seconds off your PB in no time.

So. These recommendation are from me and predominatly for the FZR. I am not a 'pro racer' by any stretch. But hopefully it will help those around that seem to be struggling getting the most from the new patch. There are plenty more experianced racers who will give much better guides than this but I hope this is a good basic something to use.

I would seriously reccomend reading the manuals and getting to grips with the setups your selves, With the new patch the cars are handling better than ever and real world sensibilities are really starting to be applicable in LFS.

If anyone has some open wheeler advice, steering wheel user differences and front wheel drive settings that they find useful and effective please add them in. Anything we can do to make people more competative and stopping them from using my bumper as a brake is a good thing . . . .
Nice tips, specially the last one
S'true too. Red really does have a scientific realation to winning and success. I'm sure there's another thread somewhere about that . ..
I know there was some research about that regarding football teams.
Yea. Thats where it stems from I think. They worked out that even down to what shirts the away kit was changed how a team played . . . .

But anyway, thats hideosly off topic . . . Post a setup tip . . . . lol.
Also, if you can't go the whole red colour, sometimes just a stripe is good for an extra 2 or 3 mph down the back straight.
True. I must admit. I do have a red stripe on my FZR skin. Plus red wing mirrors. Do you think that that would cuase problems as the wing mirrors are travelling at a faster speed than the rest of the car. I could be seeing (In my mirrors) myself coming up behind me . . . .ooo. How paradoxical. And somehow kinky . . .
Or red stickers, which can add up to 10hp each!
Anyone with BF1 help? I would be interested in that . . espeacially from a mousing point of view. Would be good to see what I need to look at to get competative with this mental car . ..
Quote from Funnybear :
8 - Colour. Red. It's proven to be the fastest colour. So change to red and you'll be knocking seconds off your PB in no time.

Hmm maybe thats why [noobs] are so fast, since our skin are basicly black and red
Doesn't seem to be working for Midland F1, though
"Nice Funnybear" growled MrSkill.
Ah, yes. A man there who is most definatly faster than me. If you use any of my helps to get even faster than me I will be most upset. I might even have to uprate my growl to a bite . . .
Quote from Funnybear :Anything we can do to make people more competative and stopping them from using my bumper as a brake is a good thing . . . .

Thanks Funnybear, nice post.
How about posting some of your setup files here or in the setups subforum?
Thanx a lot m8, now I should be able to tweak up my old setup for the new age.....
Quote from _rod_ :Hmm maybe thats why [noobs] are so fast, since our skin are basicly black and red

No comment.
#17 - Tick
I put a NISMO Sticker on my right side fender and gained 1 full second off my times.......
Thanks for the hints. It gives you a good place to start. That's the problem I've been having. I know roughly what different changes do, but don't really know much at all about where I want to be with a lot of my values and what I want to change first, etc. I really need my own setup guy! Or I guess I could do a lot of testing like I'm sure the decent setup guys do....
S'what I do. Test and test and test a bit more. Can be a bit dull but you do learn what the cars do and how the setups work.

Like I said I'm not an alien or anything, just an average racer with an average knowledge base. I've read the manuals a bit and with the new patch you can actually coralate setup changes to how you think the car should react. I glad some of you found my little guide'et useful. I'm happy it was taken as it was intended, nothing exhaustive, just some useful tips from a fellow racer . . .
Quote from Michael Denham :Thanks for the hints. It gives you a good place to start. That's the problem I've been having. I know roughly what different changes do, but don't really know much at all about where I want to be with a lot of my values and what I want to change first, etc. I really need my own setup guy! Or I guess I could do a lot of testing like I'm sure the decent setup guys do....

Everyone has different preferences mate. You get used to your setup and the the way the car handles. It might make you slower at one point of the circuit, but faster at another . . . But if you got any specific questions then I will be happy to answer as well as possible.

I'd rather you asked questions and learnt what the setup does than I give you a set (Which might not be all that good at the end of the day, just that I know how to drive it) that you only use and never look at . . .
My only question.. why no wheel!? They are relatively cheap- and loads of fun!

Another thing is - you need to set up the car a lot differently for a mouse or game pad or k/b than you would for a 540 degree wheel (like a DFP)... it is more realistic, but lock to lock in .010 seconds is not possible like other controllers.
Quote from BWX232 :lock to lock in .010 seconds is not possible like other controllers

You obviously aren't flailing fast enough!
Well with FF it is truly impossible unless you you are superman.. I think it is a pretty big disadvantage in certain situations like spins and snap oversteer recovery.. but worth it.
Mate. Sometimes, with kids; an unsympathetic missus and counting pennies, a wheel just ain't the way is gunna be.

A mouse I have, a mouse I must stick with for the foreseeable future . . . unless someone wants to send me one *Grin*.

A wheel that is . . ..
LOL- the misus.. that explains it.. no further explanation needed.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG