The online racing simulator
FZR Clutch Burn
(20 posts, started )
FZR Clutch Burn
I was suprised the other day to see a lot of the guys I was racing against online with the pedal to the metal all the way through gear changes and when you pressed F9, you could see thier clutch wear was minimal.

Am I missing a trick here? If I drive like that I would be lucky to get 3 laps in before the clutch starts to go.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have been using the paddle shift on my G25 for this car if this is any help.

Thanks
#2 - GabbO
The udp packets arent fast enough to see the other drivers shiftings correctly. There is no trick.
yes, sadly this is one of the most "ugly" things in lfs (see GabbO's post)
how did you get the fzr to paddle shift?
Quote from bunder9999 :how did you get the fzr to paddle shift?

He just use's the paddles to shift? Im currently using the paddles while i'll try to find a replacement shifter.

edit: Ohhh i see what you mean. I dont think he means shifting with sequential and ignition cut. You can use paddles on the FZR in sequential mode, but you have to lift and use the clutch if auto clutch is'nt on.
shift just before the limiter, i flat shift all h boxes
Sorry if I added some confusion with my mentally challenged vocab! I'm turning into my dad I swear!

I use the paddle shift on my wheel (can't keep shifter stuck to desk with this car!). I have been using auto-clutch for the time being and lift off during up-shifts.

I've only really just started racing FZR on a regular basis online and contemplating a clutch at turn 1 isn't the best idea at the moment!
i just told u the trick, i use autoclutch too. i'll upload a hotlap or something with it if you want? the only car i have noticed it really having an effect on is the lx6.
cheers Ben. I see what you're saying, that's how I started driving the FXR before I decided to switch to a mans car ()!

The only thing I noticed in the FXR was that I was loosing about 2mph on the straights after 6 laps or so. Shifting just before the limiter cured this.

The FZR seems a lot more exposed to the problem though, but will happily give it a bash
heres two sprs showing what i mean about shift points.

The FZR you can see i shift as the light goes on which is pretty much on the limiter anyway. With the LX6 i shift a bit later and you can hear the limiter cut in. i think the lx6 just has a slower box, even though they are both h-boxes :S
Attached files
BenjiMC_KY2_FZR_13483.spr - 70.5 KB - 105 views
BenjiMC_SO5_LX6_12776.spr - 158.5 KB - 95 views
Thanks, just watched them, the fzr a few times.

I'm starting to think now it's got more to do with my driving. Wheelspin out of corners, revving the nuts off the car on slow corner exits and sliding. Would that contribute to wear? (I think the answer is yes!)
Show us an spr of your driving then
also, i THINK that if you blip on downshifts, that also reduces clutch wear
Ok attached are 2 x 5 lap runs at AS3 (Track I know best with this car)

One with lifting during upshifts
One flat out during upshifts (aiming for 8k rpm)

Neither replay is what you would call elegant driving, it's where I am with this car at present. No point me uploading my best runs as I doubt I will learn much from them!
Attached files
AndyB_AS3_FZR FLAT.spr - 225.8 KB - 110 views
AndyB_AS3_FZR_LIFT.spr - 230.8 KB - 87 views
I found blipping on downshifts threw the car all over the place. I'm doing my best to stick to brake, turn then power. As you will see in the replay I'm probably not doing this as often as I think I am when driving.

Bear in mind I was spinning this car every lap without fail on a corner exit not so long ago!
your keeping the turn on the wheel for too long, you need to start opening it out a bit sooner. That way you won't have to compensate for it with your throttle control so much.

You can almost have a straight wheel but have enough throttle on to get the car around the corner and then it will sort itself out by the time you have exited the turn. I wouldn't expect you to do that in one night though obviously, since as you said, you just managed to get it to do a lap

regarding you gear shifts. your still shifting too early. Shift at least 500 rpm's later. wait for the red light and then wait a bit longer.
Thanks for the input! I'll concentrate on turning a tad shaper initially when the power is off. I was aiming for smooth, but as you no doubt saw, was causing me problems, especially after a few laps.

Still burnt that clutch out though when I was flat out through up-shifts :-)
Quote from andyb1982 :
Still burnt that clutch out though when I was flat out through up-shifts :-)

as i said, thats cus ur shifting way to early still I'd shift that early if i was saving fuel lol
Quote from BenjiMC :as i said, thats cus ur shifting way to early still I'd shift that early if i was saving fuel lol

It's the same for me in real life as well, still not getting used to having an Allstar card :-D
Thanks again for the pointers, will post back here if I remember when I've tried it! (bit late for the drone of a G25 at this time of night in a shared house!)
Quote from andyb1982 :It's the same for me in real life as well, still not getting used to having an Allstar card :-D
Thanks again for the pointers, will post back here if I remember when I've tried it! (bit late for the drone of a G25 at this time of night in a shared house!)

good luck

FZR Clutch Burn
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG