The online racing simulator
BF1 Racing, how it should be
(84 posts, started )
My 2 cents
Personally, I enjoy trying to avoid accidents which have occurred on the track as well as passing slower traffic. I love the AI pile-ups, as well as those with real drivers. I also enjoy the dynamics of having faster and slower cars on the track at the same time. Sure, driving in a nice orderly paceline with no accidents is also fun, but I prefer a little variety and perhaps a bit of chaos on the track myself. I certainly try my best not to cause any accidents, but mistakes and accidents are a part of racing weather real or simulated, by both experienced and inexperienced drivers. I just drive the best I can and don't worry about it.

However, I really would like to know who changed the term "newbie" to "noobie". If we can all agree on one thing, let it be that the term's orrigin is the word "new", not "noo". “Newbie” is actually in the dictionary. “Noobie” is not. I had to complain about something and "noobie" was the most trivial issue I could think of. LOL.

As for the BMW Sauber F1, it’s an awesome car. I just wish F1’s still had 900hp! 700 will have to do
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
well im a newbie to this game and ill slow down and pull over to a side when i see a blue flag pop up ... if im in the middle of an S turn slow down and then pass on the straight dont try and run me off the road ... ive raced many of games from arcade to simulation (mostly Forza and Xbox way to many hours in that game)

i have limited knowledge of the different set ups but im learning and i hate playing offline because an AI can always be beat ... humans adapt and learn making it more fun

so if anyone sees me online say Hey want some help if you see me spun out in the sand dont be like ... why did you not let me pass you on that s turn u made me crash ... i havnt been around long enough ( 2 days) but i do notice only a few people will help the newbies out but if you all dont pitch in and help its gonna get worse and less and less people
Quote from thisnameistaken :Oh it's gone all the way from newbie to n00b and eventually to "nub" as FPS twitch gamers have gradually got stupider and stupider over the years.

Yeah, no kidding. Back when I started gaming on my Atari and the cars were composed of a few flat rectangles, there was no Internet and certainly no online gaming chat. Despite our somewhat limited technology at the time, at least we knew how to spell...
Quote from ErockCTS :well im a newbie to this game and ill slow down and pull over to a side when i see a blue flag pop up ... if im in the middle of an S turn slow down and then pass on the straight dont try and run me off the road ... ive raced many of games from arcade to simulation (mostly Forza and Xbox way to many hours in that game)

i have limited knowledge of the different set ups but im learning and i hate playing offline because an AI can always be beat ... humans adapt and learn making it more fun

so if anyone sees me online say Hey want some help if you see me spun out in the sand dont be like ... why did you not let me pass you on that s turn u made me crash ... i havnt been around long enough ( 2 days) but i do notice only a few people will help the newbies out but if you all dont pitch in and help its gonna get worse and less and less people

I'll help you solely because you can spell "newbie" correctly.
There's actually a very good LFS S2 manual available which gives a good explanation of how to implement the various setup parameters. There's one page which covers the basics of handling and setups in a nice little table format. I use it to adjust my real formula 1 car...oh wait..I was dreaming that part...
#30 - JTbo
1st priority not crash to others
2nd priority stay on road
3rd priority try to win

Much more fun if all just would use these priorities...

I'm nowdays too slow to fight from 1st place, still I manage to win at times, specially longer races are much more fun when you follow those three rules, then there is also racing code that is good to know, for example if behind is faster driver you are not allowed to block him continuosly, you are allowed to one line change and that you should be doing so that you don't touch other car.

If you feel that if other car gets past you at T1 and you can't win then, how do you think keeping other car behind you next laps?

Touching other cars should be made very bad thing, like adding more time for your finish time or something, or maybe not, but anyway respect other racers and learn how to block and overtake without risk of crashing, fast laps comes after that and believe me it is worth it, you will find totally new world of racing then.

In richard burns rally there is loading screens that notes that even your car is capable of great speeds you can use that speed very rarely, if you feel car is hard to control you are going too fast. I find it very suitable for track racing too, other cars are not to be ignored, you need to drive bit slower leaving little space between limit and racing speed.
I think you guys are probably right about my comment regarding times. Perhaps my upper limit was a bit too stringent :P You're right that you don't have to be on the pace to be considerate to people. I guess I was just meaning that it's often the case that you get those people that can't go round any of the corners without spinning and then just sit on the racing line! If you just take it easy and give way in the right place then that's cool

I totally agree that there are a lot of fast twits out there. People that only know how to hotlap. A major skill in racing is picking your moment to overtake and not getting worked up. OK, so you may loose a couple of seconds behind someone round a corner, but it's better to wait a bit than to go and crash into the poor backmarker. I think a lot of arrogant racers don't see it like this and think that everyone else should bow down before them and just drive straight off the track as soon as they see them in their mirror.

I race in a karting championship for my Uni which involves 52 other teams. Suprisingly we actually have very similar problems in the real races. The abilities are hugely mixed varying from people who have litterally never raced before, to people who race in Formula Renault or are veteran national karters. It's a great opportunity for all, but there is always a select few who are too big for their boots (all the gear and no idea types). You'll come up to lap them, and they just dive all over the track trying to block you! It's nuts. They've caused serious accidents before because of it. I've learnt to be really careful now, and it's certainly a lesson in patience and timed overtaking, but sometimes it's unavoidable. At least 3 or 4 times, I've overtaken someone a few corners back, and then going into a hairpin they somehow think they're going to overtake when the gap has grown to 3 or 4 seconds. Usually you just about see a kart approaching very fast, rears locked just as your turning in. By then it's too late, and the idiot takes you out! They get warned all the time, but it doesn't stop them. Problem is, they all just think 'ah it's not me doing it...I'm fast' when in reality they're not!
Quote from rabidmaddog :I'll help you solely because you can spell "newbie" correctly.
There's actually a very good LFS S2 manual available which gives a good explanation of how to implement the various setup parameters. There's one page which covers the basics of handling and setups in a nice little table format. I use it to adjust my real formula 1 car...oh wait..I was dreaming that part...

ive read bits and pieces of it and tried to apply them but i also used some knowledge of how i drive and applied it to the BF1 and i seem to be doin much better now that i changed the rear tires to the 80 degree tires so they warm up faster
#33 - JTbo
Oh yes, I too have found that typical 5 lapper race is just too short for BF1 race setup, it takes indeed 3 laps to get tires to operating temp, so you can start pushing after 3 laps and server races are still just 5 laps for some odd reason
40 laps or more is what you want. No F1 race has ever been 5 laps. The shortest was 14 (not counting the Nordschliefe) at Adelaide back in 1991. Red flagged to due heavy rain.
Quote from JTbo :Oh yes, I too have found that typical 5 lapper race is just too short for BF1 race setup, it takes indeed 3 laps to get tires to operating temp, so you can start pushing after 3 laps and server races are still just 5 laps for some odd reason

Indeed. Also, a 5 lap race in the BF1 is over in 4 minutes! LOL.
i was having fun doin 15 laps before on a server with like 15 people ... pullin over to the side and stuff but i ran a lil over a min lap for my PB not bad for 2 days of gamin on a real pure sim
#37 - SamH
I'm gobsmacked to see this thread. We've had the BF1 how long, and already people are pointing and screaming n00b at the slower drivers?

I've never seen anything more ridiculous get so much unwarranted affirmation. It's pathetic. Get real.
#38 - JTbo
Quote from SamH :I'm gobsmacked to see this thread. We've had the BF1 how long, and already people are pointing and screaming n00b at the slower drivers?

I've never seen anything more ridiculous get so much unwarranted affirmation. It's pathetic. Get real.

Yes, it is a shame, but maybe it has come to this because many new guys come from need for speed and counter strike, then they just drive like they did in nfs and respect others like in cs, maybe they hope to have also guns to shoot others away, don't know, but even there is perhaps less these fellas it is so visible part that some guys are easily generalizing too much.

I must say that I have met newbies that are great drivers, slow but absolutely much better drivers than some of those who have been driving over year.

So calling someone newbie should just mean that he is new to sim, calling wreckless driver should be used to those who crashes, but that is too long word so impatient ones will get bored when writing that...

Most important is that new driver is at least driving to race clean and understands he is new he might have not all skills yet to control car and so he is adjusting his driving to fit his skills. Also when making mistakes it is polite to say sorry, it is a must thing to do, imo.
Well these days, if you can't handle a steep learning curve fast enough even after a new patch that swirls old tendencies around, then you get called a "noob". Lucky for me I've been driving quite some time with :lfs: to learn quickly a rough idea how a new car will handle in the sim. Just takes practice, I get lonely offline so I just join a small server and lap around learn new lines while having some company
And horrible spelling for newbie. A quick peek at the wikipedia could help some people to stop insulting other people, voluntarily or not.

And now some OT: let me say the whole word degenaration process reminds me closely of another, far worse insult: ******. You'll see some pretty asterisks because that word is banned in this forum and I won't try to circumvent the ban.
This word has its origin in latin, where the term niger means black (referring to the colour), becoming negro in some of the first forms of ancient Italian with the same meaning and still present in modern Italian no longer defining the colour (which is nero), but a black person. The word negro in modern Italian has no particular offensive meaning, though its use is sometimes debated. The real origin of ****** may come from French or Spanish: the original word got deformed and assumed a derogatory tone.
A similar process happened to newbie resulting in l33tspeak n00b. It's worth noting that both pages for ****** and newbie in wikipedia are protected because of vandalism.
Well about the screaming...I am by no way insulting any noob drivers. We all were once, right? But what I am getting at is the moment we get something new (LFS or life, deosnt matter) we just have to try it right away, even if we know its not best. Now I dont know how to say this w/out getting bashed, but anywhere - we need to think of others too. Seriously, I am not saying if your a newb, dont race online, but either practice a little in slower cars, or offline, and read. It won't hurt to check out the beginner's Forum for a series of quick reads just so you aren't hurting other peoples races. I am also not saying we're any better then you, its just that experience is time based, just give it sometime before you rush on filling every server because the BF1 is just soooo awesome. I know a lot of people say it's the easiest car to drive. It's not, it does take skill believe it or not, because otherwise people wouldn't go full throttle into the back of someone at a hairpin, or just losing it out of nowhere and then backing into a leader. The shift+s isn't that realistic I know, (everyone wants their chance to limp it back and save their laps) but in a short informal online race, it really helps protect the leaders. I have sooo many times just been backed into by someone who wrecks on one side and backs all the way to the other.

But whatevers, the point - Take it easy, and think/respect others on the track. We all want to win, thats why we get mad when someone wrecks us, therefore, think of the others trying to do the samething.
Quote from rAcEr2418 :Well about the screaming...I am by no way insulting any noob drivers.

I have to repeat myself: intentionally or not, you just did it.
How so, telling them to back off a little?? You know, think about others...illepall
Using the word noob. However, who cares about communication, nowadays...

Edit: yes, think about others.
AHA, lol I see...beginners
I just take it as being unintentionally rammed from behind by a newbie. Interesting thread, I'd say. An accurate analysis would demonstrate lots of sad things about human behaviour, such as the inability to say the word "sorry".
Quote from SamH :I'm gobsmacked to see this thread. We've had the BF1 how long, and already people are pointing and screaming n00b at the slower drivers?

It's pathetic. Get real. Pity I expected more from you because everyone is talking about this apporpriatley, and not discussing the "quality" of this topic. If you don't like this topic, you don't have to post here.

There is a difference. Drivers with months, even years experience on LFS, that can quickly adapt to the BF1, and drive away and win consecutive races. If you see on the replay of "BF1 Style" 1st place battle was enjoyable, and how it should be, especially after a few days.

But still a majority of new drivers and heading straight to BF1s instead of the more basic cars, and they are becoming full of themselves, and think they know what the braking point is, and making the corner. Especially when they spin, and not pit at all. *especially when they are on the racing line*
just wish some people would remember the following

1, we all were new to lfs once.

2, these incidents are not happening in league races, just casual meetings of people who enjoy LFS

3, although we call LFS a sim, at end of day it is a game and not real life, to the best of my knowlage no one is racing for money, no one has to spend £x thousands repairing their pc after being shunted off and no one ends up in hospital or morque. (unless they get so wound up that they suffer a heart attack or fall off chair)

basically just chill out , yeah its anoying but there are far worse drivers out there on public roads and chances are you come across them every day, some of the worst being those who display the very charactoristics that the people who complain about noobs do here,

i,e. "get out of my way, your going to slow, you shouldn.t be allowed on the road" etc etc.

LFS THE FIRST SIM WITH SIMULATED ROAD RAGE

one idea would be go on another track, bl attracts new drivers and with lap times under a minute and currently fields of 20 carswhich are being spread out by incidents, it can actually be hard to find a gap to leave the pits and its inevitable that people do not fancy waiting up to 40 secs for a decent gap before joining track, especially when due to pit wall, the only way, unless you change view point, of seeing down the track is by pulling level with the cones and then risking being hit by cars which misjudge their braking point, its happened to me and its bloody anoying, especially since the driver concerned attempted to blame me till it was pointed out i was in pit lane, very close to barrier, and he hit me hard enough to flick over me and hit the top of the fence

yes i know the track map helps but when theres a yellow dot passing every 3 secs its not realistic to judge your exit on a 5mm gap between dots.

BF1 Racing, how it should be
(84 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG