The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Well, obviously people who criticize things without even trying them are idiots.

Those kind of people are easily ignored.
At least I am tempted to try it now with Paypal added.
Quote from The Moose :Well, obviously people who criticize things without even trying them are idiots.

Those kind of people are easily ignored.

On the opposite side are over-zealous fanboys who jump on anyone who crticizes their favorite product. Both groups are equally annoying.

Price is a valid concern, monthly fee itself isn't really an issue but the cost of additional content. This is true especially if you're planning to go forward in licence ladder after each season and do it on both Oval and Road series. But there's no need to hurry and one should race what they enjoy the most, hence I've gone back to Skippy and will probably run even next season with it which also happens to be very cheap since I don't need to buy new tracks over and over again.
FYeeeeeeeaaaaaa!

Ford is far from my favorite, but some more real cars finally!

Quote :
Mustang FR500S and Ford GT First to be Added

BEDFORD, MA (April 14, 2009) –iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations, LLC announced today that it is developing digital versions of a series of Ford competition cars for use in the iRacing simulation service.

The first two vehicles announced as part of this new digital line-up of Ford race cars are emblematic of Ford’s storied racing history, the Mustang and the Ford GT. iRacing engineers have begun the process of gathering the data necessary to produce digital duplicates of the Mustang FR500S and the Doran Ford GT-R.

“It seems fitting that among the first Fords we’ll produce are the current racing versions of a pair of 21st century production cars that trace their lineage back to the 1960s,” said Scott McKee, iRacing’s vice president of marketing. “The private Ford teams that campaign these cars in the American Le Mans Series GT2 class and Grand-Am’s Ford Racing Mustang Challenge will find the simulation a useful tool as they prepare for races, and all iRacing members will enjoy having these cars available for our own internet racing series, and the thousands of enthusiasts who are already iRacing members – including pros, amateurs and fans – will have a lot of fun competing in these cars when they are added into our sanctioned racing series.”

The Mustang FR500S is an assembly-line produced high-performance version of the legendary Ford model that is literally race-ready when it is delivered to a customer by any Ford dealer. With the exception of a roll cage and other safety equipment – added at a nearby facility – every FR500S rolled off the line at Ford’s AutoAlliance International assembly plant in Flat Rock, MI ready to race. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge competitors will find that six of the eight tracks on the 2009 schedule are already in the iRacing circuit inventory or currently under construction, including Homestead-Miami Speedway, Barber Motorsports Park, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Mosport International Raceway and Miller Motorsports Park.

"We at Ford Racing are proud that iRacing selected the FR500S as one of the first two Ford race cars to be available to its subscribers, said Jamie Allison, Manager, Ford Racing Performance Group. “Our guys here are determined to help iRacing make sure the car is as realistic as it can be. We're also excited to have the opportunity to hone our own FR500S driving skills online against the pros already racing the real thing. It should be fun,"

The Ford GT is an ultra-high performance road car inspired by Ford’s legendary four-time Le Mans-winning prototype sports-racing car from the 1960s. So it’s not surprising, and it’s totally appropriate, that someone would take this street car and prepare it for the race track. That’s exactly what veteran race car builder and team owner Kevin Doran has done. The Doran Ford GT-R is eligible for the Le Mans GT-2 class, and is currently doing battle with entries from Porsche, Ferrari and Aston Martin in the American Le Mans Series.

Good, I hope that with these cars they'll add a multi-class series to spice things up a bit and prevent the spread of the member base
That would be pretty great. I'd love to see 30 - 40 cars on the track at once. Its a bit lame to get to 20 cars and split the field (whatever the numbers are now). It gets boring running by yourself in the skippy, 20 more drivers on the track would liven it up, even if they weren't in the same car.
Quote from Crommi :
Price is a valid concern, monthly fee itself isn't really an issue but the cost of additional content. This is true especially if you're planning to go forward in licence ladder after each season and do it on both Oval and Road series. But there's no need to hurry ...

Have to agree, I would gladly pay this monthly fee, but additional cost for tracks and cars is rather too much for my pocket .
I wonder if Corvette and Ford GT will feature multi-class racing with weight ballast on faster car. But anyways, I'm not really a Ford fan but can't wait for those two!
Quote from Jertje :Good, I hope that with these cars they'll add a multi-class series to spice things up a bit and prevent the spread of the member base

I wonder how the iRacing users will deal with all the overtaking of a multi-class race, though.. some racers seem very impatient.

I'm very excited about the Mustang in particular!
Lets get a front wheel drive car as the next car and lets have a few European tracks. They will scan some Euro tracks this summer they told. But US tracks is still ok...

The VW Jetta TDI is a FWD car, when will we get it?.... Can`t wait..

Eligibility for this series is limited to these individuals, but in the next few weeks we’ll be making a related announcement with Volkswagen that will be of interest to all iRacers. (Many of you know Josh Hurley, a successful iRacer who was also the 2008 Jetta TDI Cup champion, and has been a big iRacing booster.)
iRacing is looking more and more appealing by the day.

Edit: LFS / iRacing are still missing a mad 12 cylinder hypercar. IIRC the most cylinders in any engine so far is 8.
Quote from DaveWS :iRacing is looking more and more appealing by the day.

Indeed it is, that Mustang has me fired up, might even look at renewing my sub......
Quote from Gnomie :I wonder how the iRacing users will deal with all the overtaking of a multi-class race, though.. some racers seem very impatient.

I'm very excited about the Mustang in particular!

They had a fun week or the 24hr thing with Skippy, legends, and Solstice at Laguna one time. Max grid was 46 cars, and let me tell you, it was a freaking blast.

It wasn't even an SR race but the racing was super clean, which made everything alot of fun.
Getting a bit tired of all the "this sim isn't realistic because of the way aliens drive, and if it were realistic they wouldn't be able to keep up with me" posts in the forums. It's just...

Are people seriously that naive?
Only half of that sentence is false though ;x
Quote from Jertje :Getting a bit tired of all the "this sim isn't realistic because of the way aliens drive, and if it were realistic they wouldn't be able to keep up with me" posts in the forums. It's just...

Are people seriously that naive?

Don't forget the ones who think they're better than everyone else (and let us know it frequently) because they drive more realistically and everyone else is cheating and exploiting the sim.
Talladega was released today, fwiw. I've never been crazy about ovals but a lot of people are freaking out about this.
Mustang news is awesome...Really ancxious to drive that car...unless it would be cheaper, i've payed for iRacing, played it...but not rich enough to keep paying something i already once owned...
Quote from titanLS :Talladega was released today, fwiw. I've never been crazy about ovals but a lot of people are freaking out about this.

i've just seen a couple of clips on youtube and the banking looks crazy from inside the car, the races there should be incredible.
Quote from titanLS :Talladega was released today, fwiw. I've never been crazy about ovals but a lot of people are freaking out about this.

I like a lot.....like very much. Although it's going to a wreck fest, as it normally is even in N2k3
A off topic question, sorry for that, but - why is it a wreck fest? I mean, it's the biggest oval there is, wide and good, how do people manage to still wreck that good on it?
Quote from The Very End :A off topic question, sorry for that, but - why is it a wreck fest? I mean, it's the biggest oval there is, wide and good, how do people manage to still wreck that good on it?

Becasue it's so wide and big, it encourages fast close driving, and going two...even three wide through the turns. Add in the fact that you are constantly on the go pedal, any small touch can send the car/truck into a spin, if it's at the front then best of luck to the guys behind.

I love Talladega though, the bumper to bumper 42 cars in 2 lines, all jostling for a decent postion in the last 10/15 laps....oval racing just doesn't get better than that.
iRacing is grabbing my attention, and its purely because you work in a progressive career. I mean, I would quite happily drive on iRacing, in 1 car over 2 circuits for a few months until I get happy with my ability and until it says I am good enough to progress.

Like most of the people wanting to even try iRacing though, the money aspect is holding me back. I guess trying the game for a month at $20 isn't too bad, but I cannot really afford to spend that much on the 'little things' in life at the moment. Having said that, the bar is slowly being pushed towards getting iRacing...
With iRacing though, it really does depend on your PC, whether you can play it or not at a decent FPS and look.

Especially with the new LYNCE pack, LFS still looks bloody amazing to me!
Quote from spacedskunk :iRacing is grabbing my attention, and its purely because you work in a progressive career. I mean, I would quite happily drive on iRacing, in 1 car over 2 circuits for a few months until I get happy with my ability and until it says I am good enough to progress.

Yeah, having something to aim for is nice. The pro series for the top 250 in road/oval seems interesting. Not sure if I'll ever get to that point, but having a goal like that makes you want to keep improving your driving.

I'm still only Class D but just getting out of the rookie races seemed to improve the quality of driving considerably. From what I've seen so far the ladder system they have set up for iRacing works pretty well.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG