The online racing simulator
VTEC sound?
(209 posts, started )
Quote from Lord_Verminaard :Hmm, a lot of the design and testing on the C6 was done by some German engineers in ... er.. GERMANY. :P The C6 Z06 ran a lap at Nurburgring in 7:42.99. That's pretty damn fast. If a car cant handle, there is no way it can do a lap at the 'ring that quick.

One thing US-ians seem to have always struggled with is the differences between outright grip and handling. One need only look at the focus on skidpad numbers to see this
Outright grip will let a fast car get around a circuit in a good time, but that doesn't really tell you anything much about how hard the driver had to fight it to get it there. Whether or not the latest Corvette actually handles nicely as well as grips well I don't know, just bringing up an observation
Great thread....
My car....
Quote from FC3S drifter :accually we can make cars that corner i picked up a stuperstreet mag last month and they held a time attack with all of japans top tuners and guess what won a 280hp fwd chevy cobalt thats right 280hp FWD killing 800hp 4WD monsters go GM performance divisions!!!

Inbetween your horrific butchering of the english language and subsequent raping of it's grammar; would you care to provide some links or backup evidence of said claims? My BS meter just didn't go off and explode; It literally jumped out, called a cab and stated it was going to make life anew somewhere tropical.
yeah its true but the cobalt was basicly a race car. . its not bs at all so you need to get your bs meter checked..
and all of japan's top tuners werent there.
omfg
so tristan, what DO you like?

english cars only? like rovers and mgs? oh, no, sorry, they're probably too rice for you!

i'm sorry to say this, but i don't find you amusing anymore... but i guess i'm not alone on that.. well, doesn't really matter!

american cars CAN do tracks, and not just straights, but i must admit there's alot of bodyroll and bad suspensions on american musclecars out there!

i prefer japanese and german muscle myself..
Sorry mate but the pic doesn't prove a thing, besides the BMW is probably overtaking it, and if the camero is good at cornering (never driven one so i don't know but i doubt it) i could safely say its not going to be as good as an M3, ESPECIALLY a CSL
BMW owners have their heads up their arses.
Quote from Gabkicks :yeah its true but the cobalt was basicly a race car. . its not bs at all so you need to get your bs meter checked..
and all of japan's top tuners werent there.

You do realize that a snippy retort of "It was basically a race car" with still no backup information or links means exactly bollocks? I'm still waiting on this "wundercar" of great racing prowess.
Quote from Venom5 :I don't know if this already excists, but it would be cool to have a VTEC sound above 4800 or so revs in every car, or a car at your choice...
I've maid a Civic Type R EK9 with Mecanic S2, but I'm missing the VTEC sound that should be kicking in at 5800 revs (correct me if I'm wrong)
Can somebody make something so we can hear a VTEC sound, that we can adjust to revs?
THnx

What is this V-TAK sound ???

As far as I know there is no such thing, or if there is engine is making so much noise that it can't be heard

There is engine sound sure and that may change as valve timing changes so engine sound sounds different, but same thing you would get without V-TAK with proper cams, but then you would hear different engine sound in lower rpm and load too, maybe that is what you mean ?

Anyway getting what I think you are after, would require more complicated sound engine, you need intake and exhaust notes and also combustion sounds mixed together, it is basicly 3 sound engines running realtime and each one of them would need to be tuned very carefully. Maybe someday in future we will get this, I would like, even I don't like this r**** stuff
by the looks of things, hes overtaking on the inside, which means someones taken the long line, *suspension and transmissions upgraded?
sounds like you play too much NFSU, i done believe anyone here bout there cars unless they know wat there talking about, your prolly 14yrs old
Quote from FC3S drifter :enough evidence? http://superstreetonline.com/e ... rage/130_0511_timeattack/

You're comparing a purpose-built, factory-backed, carbon fiber-bodied race car with an SCCA pro driver to a bunch of tuner cars driven by random people. If you're not bound by any rules (unlimited class) and can spend 50 times as much money as your "competitors", of course you're gonna win, no matter if the base car is a '06 Cobalt or a '86 Yugo.

BTW, the car had 380hp with nitrous and reportedly GM showed up with two tractor trailers, a full race team and used fresh slicks for every run. illepall

Truth be told, I think American cars are much better than their reputation when it comes to handling (disregarding some solid rear-axle dinosaurs like the Mustang), but that's because they use fairly decent suspension designs these days, not because a $1 mil Cobalt can beat a $50k Evo.
Please, please, please, never, never, never compare an american cruiser to a german roadgoing racecar like the M3 CSL. Never ever. Never again.
That makes me very sad.
The M3 CSL is even being sold with racing tyres, unlike the standard-M3.
People buying one even have to sign a letter saying that these tyres can not do well in wet circumstances

Friends, don't make me that sad again please
american make some nice cars, theres no use for predjedice (i think thats how u spell it) vtec is good and useful for power in the higher revs,
and vtec change over sounds nuts, tristian driving a decently quick vtec is alot different to reading about them on the web and watching video clips try leaving ur room,
jokes
No, of course I've never driven a vtec car. Never. Nope.
P.S. Leave your room and get some form of education. English at the very least.
I drive a 1994 Honda Civic with an Si VTEC motor implanted into it from a 2002 Civic Si (this is my normal driving car... the subie is for weekends ^_^). Allthough, I do have new headers, exhaust, suspension, and new tyres (and wider rims to put the tyres on as well). I don't really notice any different sound, except for the engine getting whinnier (can't spell) the higher my RPMs go. I never understood what was so special about the vtec "sound", as I don't ever notice it.

Before you call out ricer, know that I don't have 20 inch spinners, huge "zaust tip", and 30 foot tall wing. I'm keeping the body stock, and the only visual thing added to it is the 16x7 in rims (white car, black rims, looks kinda nice), and the ergenomic shift nob topping off my short shift kit. Just giving it a little more power to make it more barable to drive around.
Quote from tristancliffe :No, of course I've never driven a vtec car. Never. Nope.
P.S. Leave you're room and get some form of education. English at the very least.

ok i said it first so it really has no effect, honda pwns and has influenced engine technology to this day, there is many car types to the brand dont let some fag in a auto crx with a exhust tip make u think hondas are gay,
in that case nissan primera is a slow heap of junk yet this doesnt mean nissans are gay, think about it,
honda always seem to want to do things the hard way. Why stuff around with steppy torque curves and fancy technology on a drivers car when more displacement (either in the form of real displacement or forced induction) would be a much nicer option to drive?
Emissions and Efficiencies (brake/thermal, volumetric etc) basically. Added cubes doesn't make the engine better, just makes it more powerful, but you end up with the same specific fuel consumption, and the same mean effective pressures. Honda (and indeed most Japanese manufacturers) goes for the route whereby each kmol of fuel is make to do as much work as efficiently as possible, and variable cam timing/lift is the way forwards in this regard. From a motorsport perspective it has little relevance - combustion chamber design is much more important, but for road applications it's pretty much a necessity with modern and future legislation.

The days of 'There ain't no substitute fo Cubes' is over.
for a given peak output, more cubes makes the engine heaps better from a drivers perspective... I certainly see the purpose of it on the passenger cars, I just think with their 'sports' type models they always seem to push shit uphill instead of using tried and true methods. I'm all for innovation, I just don't like Honda's style of it
Quote from tristancliffe :No, of course I've never driven a vtec car. Never. Nope.
P.S. Leave you're room and get some form of education. English at the very least.

Well spotted, merely a typo
Man some people talk some shit.

Honda make amazing n/a motors with fantastic power for their size.

Maybe im lucky living in NZ as we have so many imports here (like 80%) and I get hands on experience with a rang of cars. American cars are ok at using lots of gas, and being big. Its not hard to get good power from a big v8 is it?

It cracks me up when people hassle a b16a motor making over 110kw at the wheels. Thats 110kw at the wheels from a 1600 with I/H/E... not bad power per ltr....

Dont get me wrong I love v8's too, I love any engine that makes good power and is well designed, so I dont see why people need to bag honda's just because a lot of younger folk own them and stick clear tail lights and chrome wheels on them... right motor, wrong body
personally I'm happy to bag them specifically because everyone carries on about their power / litre as if it really 'meant something' Since when did power / litre have any effect at all on how well a car drives?
Quote from Blowtus :personally I'm happy to bag them specifically because everyone carries on about their power / litre as if it really 'meant something' Since when did power / litre have any effect at all on how well a car drives?

Are you being sarcastic? It plays a big part. Its all about power to weight, and having a motor that weighs less and has a higher ouput but is still suited to the car is what its all abou
see, I'd be a *huge* fan of someone popularising some sort of 'power / kilogram' method of comparing engines, that to me makes far more sense. Even some 'power / volume' (not displacement, physical size) and 'power / price' wouldn't go astray. The whole displacement thing has no bearing on the driving experience in the slightest. Both my rotary and my 2 stroke put out ridiculous power / litre measurements, but that doesn't have any bearing on how good they are in their application...

VTEC sound?
(209 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG