The online racing simulator
Athlon64 X2 6400+ owns!!!
(24 posts, started )
I just finally installed the 6400+, my final upgrade for a very long time. Mostly I got it because of all the FPS I play, but also because I enjoy playing offline with a full field of AI. Man oh man, worth every penny, in fact it's much quicker than I even expected. Before I had the 4400+ installed, and with a full field the frame rate would drop into the 20's at times, now it never falls below the 50's, mostly sticks right at 62.5 where I have it capped. Perhaps it's a bit overkill, but for the price, it made sense to grab this one, it's the quickest they make, black edition, and came with a very nice heat sink and fan for only $189 US.

Anyone running an AM2 system, I highly recommend this processor!!!

P.S. Runs Crysis and Unreal 3 at impressive frame rates, for any other FPS fans out there.

EDIT: "owns" versus other AthlonX2 products, however obvious it may seem
#2 - garph
Quote from DHRammstein :I just finally installed the 6400+, my final upgrade for a very long time. Mostly I got it because of all the FPS I play, but also because I enjoy playing offline with a full field of AI. Man oh man, worth every penny, in fact it's much quicker than I even expected. Before I had the 4400+ installed, and with a full field the frame rate would drop into the 20's at times, now it never falls below the 50's, mostly sticks right at 62.5 where I have it capped. Perhaps it's a bit overkill, but for the price, it made sense to grab this one, it's the quickest they make, black edition, and came with a very nice heat sink and fan for only $189 US.

Anyone running an AM2 system, I highly recommend this processor!!!

P.S. Runs Crysis and Unreal 3 at impressive frame rates, for any other FPS fans out there.

Crysis depends on the graphics card more, I didn't see much FPS difference between a AMD4200+(socket 939) and a Intel E6750.
Hmm, probably a big difference for me because I'm running it in a fairly low resolution, 1024x768, so the cpu runs away with it a little. After a few benchmarks, I'm seeing anywhere from 10-20% increase in performance over the 4400, great investment for anyone on an AM2 config.
I need to buy an AM2 Mother board. When I got the 4400+ X2 the AM2 platform was just coming out and AMD has a tendency of abandoning platforms very fast (Like the 754 that I had with the first system I built, AMD 3000+.) and now they are going over to AM3 and AM2 will be deprecated.
I thought about updating from 939 (3200+, 7800 GT) to AM2 with a 6000+, but decided against it and got a 3700+ from ebay and a 8800 GT instead.
Overclocking the 3700+ to 2.8 Ghz it gives me nice frame rates, full field mostly 45-60 running at 1680x1050 16x AA, 16x AF.

Why are you running 1024x768, 15 " TFT?
#6 - Jakg
The 6400 might be a powerhouse for an AM2 build but compared to it's Intel equals it just can't compare.
#7 - amp88
A mate of mine just had a quad core Q6600 system built. Went round to have a look and it re-encoded a 22 minute video from XVID to DIVX in just under 2 minutes (seeing peaks of 280fps). It was IO bound, not CPU bound, on a SATA-II drive! No way the Athlon 6400 could do that. It's still a pretty damn nice chip, of course, but it certainly doesn't own.
Why didn´t overclock your old 4400? I raised my Opteron 180 to 3.1Ghz, just between 6000+ and 6400+, for free
Anyway, enjoy it. Altough Intels are better, it is also a beast
Quote from Jakg :The 6400 might be a powerhouse for an AM2 build but compared to it's Intel equals it just can't compare.

How did I know you'd be the one to point out how much better Intel is, lol.
#10 - Jakg
Because i'm sick of a bunch of peole who seem to rave about how good part x is when they don't have a clue about the performance of any other part, or compare it's price.

Thats not a dig at the OP, rather at people from other forumns :P

Believe me i wish AMD could compete. But brining a CPU out based on old architecture just to get a speed that isn't that mind blowing (3.1 GHz AMD Dual Cores aren't rare if you can overclock) isn't being as advanced as they could be
I just don't think the guy was saying "ZOMG HAXXORS I GOTS DA BEST CPUz IN TOWN!!!" I think he was just happy that he'd just doubled his performance and felt like telling everyone. Compared to what he had - his current processor is a speed demon.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :I just don't think the guy was saying "ZOMG HAXXORS I GOTS DA BEST CPUz IN TOWN!!!" I think he was just happy that he'd just doubled his performance and felt like telling everyone. Compared to what he had - his current processor is a speed demon.

He should have said "My Athlon64 X2 6400+ owns!!!" then.
I have an X2 4400+ at the moment.

I'd only consider another X2 if I was upgrading but couldn't afford a new motherboard (mine's socket 939 anyway so I'm getting a new mobo whatever). If you can stretch to a new board too, then the Core2Duo are so far ahead it's not funny.
I've been an AMD fan for a long time, and believe me, I know how much better the Intel chips are, I've even considered making the switch, but I'm not willing to pay the big money to switch over to an Intel based system.
Trust me, I know the 6400 gets smoked by Intel's counterpart, actually more than one, several of Intel's chips beat it, and considering the prices, I'll be the first to admit Intel is better, especially for gamers. My laptop is core 2 duo, and it outruns my 6400 no problem.
The point of my post is simple, the 6400+ is absolutely fantastic, for anyone on an AM2 system, it's the best buy, period. I should have been more clear, I was comparing it to other AMD products, not overall PC processors.

It is very likely my next system (at least two years from now) will be Intel based, but I love AMD, you know us Americans, always rooting for the underdog
Quote from NitroNitrous :Why didn´t overclock your old 4400? I raised my Opteron 180 to 3.1Ghz, just between 6000+ and 6400+, for free
Anyway, enjoy it. Altough Intels are better, it is also a beast

I needed the extra cache, the 512kb X2 was killing me, very much needed 1MB X2, actually I need more heh, but this will do.
I'll be getting the Phenom II, the best one I can afford, with the best ram, and a SLI board that supports ddr3 RAM. Almost there, just waiting on a few things. The Phenom II is next, hopefully the best one. The 6400+ was great while it lasted, but games are becoming more and more threaded, so Iw w
Quote from DHRammstein :I'll be getting the Phenom II, the best one I can afford, with the best ram, and a SLI board that supports ddr3 RAM. Almost there, just waiting on a few things. The Phenom II is next, hopefully the best one. The 6400+ was great while it lasted, but games are becoming more and more threaded, so Iw w

I would wait for the newer Phemon II 's (AM3 ones) since i heard good things about them.
Quote from rc10racer :I would wait for the newer Phemon II 's (AM3 ones) since i heard good things about them.

They've been out for a while, afaik.
-
(shiny_red_cobra) DELETED by shiny_red_cobra
Quote from MijnWraak :They've been out for a while, afaik.

The current phemon II's have been out for while but the new batch of AM3 cpu's are not far from being released. Infact the newest x4 955 is being released on the 20th.
Quote from rc10racer :The current phemon II's have been out for while but the new batch of AM3 cpu's are not far from being released. Infact the newest x4 955 is being released on the 20th.

ah okay, I thought when you said am3s, that the other ones were not .

know if any of the new ones going to be in 100-150 USD price range?
EDIT: Never mind, didn't notice this thread was a friggin year old.
I went ahead and upgraded now rather than wait, and I'm so happy I did. See specs for new hardware. This new Phenom destroys the 6400+, and I'm loving the DDR 3 ram, it runs like more than twice the speed of my old PC 6400 memory. Now I don't have any bottlenecks.
Quote from DHRammstein :I went ahead and upgraded now rather than wait, and I'm so happy I did. See specs for new hardware. This new Phenom destroys the 6400+, and I'm loving the DDR 3 ram, it runs like more than twice the speed of my old PC 6400 memory. Now I don't have any bottlenecks.

Oh btw what resolution do game @
1680x1050. My system is probably overkill, but I'm waiting to get a higher res monitor.
-
(MijnWraak) DELETED by MijnWraak

(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG