The online racing simulator
Awards System
(19 posts, started )
#1 - Woz
Awards System
I have been playing a fair bit of QuakeLive recently and I like the awards system it has. I believe there are other games that have similar such a Left4Dead etc.

The basics are that there are a range of award you can win by playing, in an LFS context they might be things like.
  • Win a race.
  • Win 5 races back to back.
  • Win a race starting at the back of the grid.
  • Complete 100 races
  • Complete 1000 races.
  • Complete a race on every track.
  • Complete a race in each car.
  • 1000km driven
  • 10000km driven
  • 100000km driven
  • Get a WR
The QuakeLive list is growing over time so there are always more to get.

Just something to add to LFS world that adds some fun without changing LFS from a sim but giving people a reason to complete races.
Aka something like achievments ?
And what exactly would you get for those achievements? The power to smug your way around bragging about the achievements you've completed? Oh, this is very useful indeed.
Very good idea, achievments makes be play more!
at L4D or TF2.
+1,415 for this
Achievements....nice idea...would need many of em anyway...
Maybe as requirements to enter leagues?
#7 - Woz
Quote from boosterfire :And what exactly would you get for those achievements? The power to smug your way around bragging about the achievements you've completed? Oh, this is very useful indeed.

They just get logged against your account. I don't care about bragging rights, you got it all wrong Makes you want to play more so you can see how many of them you can get.

Once you play games that have similar you might understand
#8 - Tur8o
sounds good but that is basically like what they had before with, the points system

nothing could be used with them and they were useless
the host can limit the drive join/ chosse car by the points
Quote from Tur8o :sounds good but that is basically like what they had before with, the points system

nothing could be used with them and they were useless

Maybe if they put some lfs world chart raking players with more awards it would be fun.
I like the idea
I like this too..... and little awards you get for your profile here. Easy to add with vbulletin too Better to have something like this part of LFS rather than independant I think.
Quote from Woz :They just get logged against your account. I don't care about bragging rights, you got it all wrong Makes you want to play more so you can see how many of them you can get.

Once you play games that have similar you might understand

So, it's only there to remind you that you have achieved such thing? It just looks like statistics to me, not achievements. The whole point of having achievements would be to get some kind of reward for achieving them. Without that, it's just a handy statistic function that tells you that you've completed that number of race, or driven that distance.
Are you not happy with the medals you get in LFSW?
#15 - Woz
Quote from boosterfire :So, it's only there to remind you that you have achieved such thing? It just looks like statistics to me, not achievements. The whole point of having achievements would be to get some kind of reward for achieving them. Without that, it's just a handy statistic function that tells you that you've completed that number of race, or driven that distance.

More subtle than that. Some achievements might be
  • Win a 10 lap race where you start at the back of the grid.
  • Complete a 50lap race.
  • Win a 50lap race.
  • Qualify 1st for a race.
As you can see, not really stats based more goal based. They just get recorded in your profile when each is completed.

So the example achievements for 50lap races mean people will setup and race big races etc. The one for qualify encourages people to have qualify sessions etc.

Bit the the LX comp a while back that made people drive the LX more around the time. So achievements can also be used by devs to change community use of an app to stop things like the same old track and car combo running dau in day out on servers.
Quote from Woz :More subtle than that. Some achievements might be
  • Win a 10 lap race where you start at the back of the grid.
  • Complete a 50lap race.
  • Win a 50lap race.
  • Qualify 1st for a race.
As you can see, not really stats based more goal based. They just get recorded in your profile when each is completed.

So the example achievements for 50lap races mean people will setup and race big races etc. The one for qualify encourages people to have qualify sessions etc.

Bit the the LX comp a while back that made people drive the LX more around the time. So achievements can also be used by devs to change community use of an app to stop things like the same old track and car combo running dau in day out on servers.

I think not a lot of people would start racing 50 laps just for the opportunity that have a 'check' by that particular achievement. I know I wouldn't.

Another thing to note is that some of these achievements wouldn't always be as difficult, depending on different things. For example, winning a qualification with 20 league racers on the track will be hard and you'd be happy to have completed that, but winning a qualification on an almost empty server at 3AM would also complete the achievement (unless the number of racers on track is precised in the achievement).

I'm all in favors of finding ways to get people to differ their game, but simply telling them that they can complete an objective for the whole point of completing an objective won't get them to do it. Didn't the LX comp have rewards for the winners?
#17 - Woz
Quote from boosterfire :I think not a lot of people would start racing 50 laps just for the opportunity that have a 'check' by that particular achievement. I know I wouldn't.

Another thing to note is that some of these achievements wouldn't always be as difficult, depending on different things. For example, winning a qualification with 20 league racers on the track will be hard and you'd be happy to have completed that, but winning a qualification on an almost empty server at 3AM would also complete the achievement (unless the number of racers on track is precised in the achievement).

I'm all in favors of finding ways to get people to differ their game, but simply telling them that they can complete an objective for the whole point of completing an objective won't get them to do it. Didn't the LX comp have rewards for the winners?

I really get the feeling you have just not played a game with such a system

While the difficult ones like 50lap races wont make everyone rush out and run 50lap races they will occur because of achievements.

I would have thought the same as you until QuakeLive, now I get the point of them
I think other driving achivements could also be encorporated into the system, not just race ones.

-Win a race after a spin
-Recover from a spin without dropping a position
-J-turn back into a race *in a safe manner* <= I have done this before

I could probably write a whole page of these.

We should create a list of these and see where it goes.
#19 - Woz
Quote from DragonCommando :I think other driving achivements could also be encorporated into the system, not just race ones.

-Win a race after a spin
-Recover from a spin without dropping a position
-J-turn back into a race *in a safe manner* <= I have done this before

I could probably write a whole page of these.

We should create a list of these and see where it goes.

Yes, this is the sort of thing that keeps people in a race after they "off".

Awards System
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG