Jenson Button
Sebastian Vettel
Robert Kubica
Sebastien Buemi
Lewis Hamilton
Jarno Trulli
Rubens Barrichello
Timo Glock
Quote from DevilDare :18th to 6th in one of a shittiest cars on the track,.

Hmmm.. So shitty that he actually had the seventh fastest car on the grid on that track according to the F1 speed trap stats (see here) and most of the cars he passed didn't have the advantage of KERS, with it's 80hp advantage.

To be honest I don't think too much can be read in to Hamiltons finishing position. He did seem to drive the car very well considering it's alleged performance issues, but then the race had a lot of incidents and many cars had obvious performance disadvantages. I'd like to see how everybody pans out in a race with less crashes and all cars with KERS. Then it would be possible to make judgements on individuals drivers race performances. Other than that it's comparing Apples with Oranges and only bias will dictate peoples opinions.
^ According to that link Button had the 16th slowest car, and Sebastien Buemi the fastest, so obviously fastest through the speed trap does not mean fastest over one lap.

Also people are saying KERS has as many disadvantages as advantages, like more weight and less opportunity for ballast to balance the car. For example Kubica was driving the BMW fastest but was the one without KERS.
Quote from DevilDare :Like i said even if Hamilton would of finished in 6th he still drove better than Ferraris did....

What's your point?? I seriously don't get why you care so much about comments being made in a sport that you're not involved in, in any way. Are you a member of the McLaren team? No, so why do Ferrari comments upset you so much and make you just as guilty of being biased and hate driven than the people you accuse of being Hamilton haters.
Quote from Intrepid :Just had a thought. Vettel could be a title contendor and how do you beat him? Turn in on him and he gets a penalty For some stupid reason he thinks he's at fault and forces the stewards to award him a penalty.

Prost and Schumi can get away with it

It's a little trick I have used myself in servers to get drivers reprimanded. For some reason server owners always blame the guy on the inside! I only do it to prove a point about incident responsibility but it's funny to see it actually happen for real.

vettel didn't do THAt much wrong and gets done lolololol

Which just affirms everyones thought of you being an immature ****.
Quote from gezmoor :Hmmm.. So shitty that he actually had the seventh fastest car on the grid on that track according to the F1 speed trap stats (see here) and most of the cars he passed didn't have the advantage of KERS, with it's 80hp advantage.

Speed trap.... His car might be fast on the straights, but on the corners he is like a turtle....

Fastest times show hamilton was 13th fastest... nearly 2 secs slower than 1st place man Jenson.....

Why do i care about McLaren/their drivers recieving bad comments from Ferrari fans? Hmm lets see, maybe 'cos i really dislike ferrari?
And why do you care about mine comments then? Dont like it dont read it.....
Jenson didn't put a foot wrong from start to finnish, was great action all the way through, Kubica and Vettel are both idiots for that incident but credit to Rubens for fighting back
I have to say, I was on the edge of my seat hoping Button wins. It is nice to see the chap in a decent car for once yet at the same time it'd be nice to see Hamilton defend his title. If McLaren can sort out their car it'd be good to see two British drivers battling it out. Plus the rumour mill is saying we might see a British lass joining the ranks.

But bloody hell, that was a good race, I've not really been interested in F1 because of how predictable the results are and the lack of action. So to see the top two teams out paced because they can't spend their way to victory is a refreshing change.

[edit: And is it just me who likes the plain Brawn GP look? Just seeing two guys in clean cars and white overalls made them look like a bunch of amateurs showing up the big boys. It was rather comical.]
- Well done Button
- Barrichello did ok, but would have preferred Kubica, Trulli and Vettel finishing in front of him. Also, if someone did push him before T1, not his fault. If not, should have gotten investigated at least
- Trulli did good, he should have accepted losing one position for his own error during an SC outing
- Kubica and Vettel: great race until the crash; most certainly not purely Vettel's fault imo
- Hamilton did good, no mistakes due to overdriving an inferior car
- Glock, Rosberg and Alonso did well
- Bourdais should have beaten his team mate, Buemi was impressive
- Nakajima can't drive; Piquet wasn't amazing either, but at least it was a mechanical out

- Tyre compound rules: poor
- KERS: good
- Looks: could be better, but I didn't go blind
- BBC broadcast: very good

Looking forward to the next race, but I hope McL and Ferrari sort out their cars so that there's even more competition at the front.
Quote from DevilDare :Speed trap.... His car might be fast on the straights, but on the corners he is like a turtle....

Fastest times show hamilton was 13th fastest... nearly 2 secs slower than 1st place man Jenson.....

Why do i care about McLaren/their drivers recieving bad comments from Ferrari fans? Hmm lets see, maybe 'cos i really dislike ferrari?

Might as well say the same to you about people commenting on Mclaren/Mclaren drivers. Don't like the comments, don't read them

Amen to Gezmoor.
Hamilton and Trulli did a great job (Hamilton more so becase he had a car that was shit compared to trulli, True Story), FIA did brilliant in cocking it all up . Button, was... ok i guess. Not to say button didn't deserve it but it's not so incredible like people want you to think. The story behind it all is, but not the actual drive.

Vettel Kubica incident was Kubica's fault imo. He gave Vettel no room, he basically went for the apex of the corner knowing Vettel was side by side with him. Stupid mistake, i don't see why Vettel got a penalty at all for that but driving around the track on 3 wheels was stooooooopid (admire the fighting spirit though ).

My driver of the day, Hamilton for bringing that bag of crap to the front, he must of been doing qualifying laps the whole race to get that pace out of the car.
Quote from BenjiMC :My driver of the day, Hamilton for bringing that bag of crap to the front, he must of been doing qualifying laps the whole race to get that pace out of the car.

Slight correction, he didn't get any magic pace out of the car. Qualified 15th without actually attempting Q2 and got 13th fastest laptime in the race. Sounds to me like he just did his thing and floated to the top as the others failed. The tyre strategy and KERS likely helped a lot with not getting stuck behind anyone. He seemed more silently consistent than shining.

I'm not saying Lewis' drive wasn't great, just not exceptional. Almost everyone performed very well and it's difficult to find anyone who outperformed everyone. There was no lone shining star like e.g. last year at Monza.
I'd perhaps pick Buemi. He really jumped his own shadow I think - I never had him on my map as a driver that can mix it up with great drivers like Hamilton or Massa. I originally had him down as a Piquet sort of driver that crashes when somebody tells him a WDC is driving behind him. Buemi didn't set the world on fire, but drove vastly better than I would've predicted.

Vain
Ye, i forgot buemi. He definatly improved a tonne over the weekend. At the start he was absolutly no where in fp1/2.
Quote from Vain :Slight correction, he didn't get any magic pace out of the car. Qualified 15th without actually attempting Q2 and got 13th fastest laptime in the race. Sounds to me like he just did his thing and floated to the top as the others failed. The tyre strategy and KERS likely helped a lot with not getting stuck behind anyone. He seemed more silently consistent than shining.

I'm not saying Lewis' drive wasn't great, just not exceptional. Almost everyone performed very well and it's difficult to find anyone who outperformed everyone. There was no lone shining star like e.g. last year at Monza.
I'd perhaps pick Buemi. He really jumped his own shadow I think - I never had him on my map as a driver that can mix it up with great drivers like Hamilton or Massa. I originally had him down as a Piquet sort of driver that crashes when somebody tells him a WDC is driving behind him. Buemi didn't set the world on fire, but drove vastly better than I would've predicted.

Vain

P.S.: Apparently the field stretch from first to 11th (of 13 finishers) was 7.3 seconds. In relative terms that's a pace difference of 1.3%. *Very* good.

I agree completely but the driver of the day for me is Button, I'm not giving him undue credit, him and Barrichello have needed good results, it just goes to show you that you don't lose your edge for racing, when they have both been in a dead end team for 3years or so and are able to come back and win 1st and 2nd (ok Barrichello lucked 2nd place, but if he hadn't of stalled and crashed into everyone he would of come 2nd anyway)
Quote from DevilDare :

Don't read it? that's quite a dumb thing to say isn't it? How can I not read it when they're in a thread that's a subject I'm interested in. Also, I don't care about your comments, (in the sense that it makes no difference to me what your opinion on Ferrari is), I'm just curious as to whether you have any actual reason to feel that way.

To the other comments about overall lap time... well yeah duh.. but as anyone here should know, (I'm assuming we all actually play LFS occasionaly???), it's perfectly possible to keep a faster driver behind you for quite a long time, even if they are 2 seconds a lap faster than you. But only when they are in a similar powered car. All you have to do is keep them behind you in the corners and ruin their ability to get better drive out of them so they can't pass down the straight. However, give them a horsepower and straight line speed advantage over you and they're going to pass you relatively easily down the straights no matter how well you obstruct them in the corners. So slow cornering speed when it comes to real racing isn't actually nearly the disadvantage of slow straight line speed. Hamilton had a car that was quicker than most down the straight and had a horsepower boost that he could use to squirt past non KERS cars at critical times. If you don't realise that in real racing conditions this isn't a major advantage then you know nothing about racing. Racing is ALL about track position.
Gezmoor is right, gimmicks like KERS manufacture overtaking anyway, they don't provide it. Kinda like someone getting a boob job, sure, they look good, but they aren't real so they are automatically ill preferred in comparison to real breasts.
Quote from gezmoor :Don't read it? that's quite a dumb thing to say isn't it? How can I not read it when they're in a thread that's a subject I'm interested in. Also, I don't care about your comments, (in the sense that it makes no difference to me what your opinion on Ferrari is), I'm just curious as to whether you have any actual reason to feel that way.

To the other comments about overall lap time... well yeah duh.. but as anyone here should know, (I'm assuming we all actually play LFS occasionaly???), it's perfectly possible to keep a faster driver behind you for quite a long time, even if they are 2 seconds a lap faster than you. But only when they are in a similar powered car. All you have to do is keep them behind you in the corners and ruin their ability to get better drive out of them so they can't pass down the straight. However, give them a horsepower and straight line speed advantage over you and they're going to pass you relatively easily down the straights no matter how well you obstruct them in the corners. So slow cornering speed when it comes to real racing isn't actually nearly the disadvantage of slow straight line speed. Hamilton had a car that was quicker than most down the straight and had a horsepower boost that he could use to squirt past non KERS cars at critical times. If you don't realise that in real racing conditions this isn't a major advantage then you know nothing about racing. Racing is ALL about track position.

So its Hamiltons fault Mclaren were smart and used KERS while others didnt....?
Quote from Kazu2799 :They want more overtake but as soon as there is an incident they punish people... F1 stupidity for the win!!

Get used to it! We will have a few strange penalties in the future. FIA ftw
Quote from DevilDare :So its Hamiltons fault Mclaren were smart and used KERS while others didnt....?

No but Hamilton didn't drive as amazingly as some people here make it out to be. Nothing more, nothing less.
An exceptional drive to me is when you can ask the question

"Could Driver X have done anything better?"

and the answer is

"nope, not much"

If Hamilton's drive wasn't exceptional can someone PLEASE tell me what he could've done better to make it 'exceptional'
because I would love to know.
Well most of the drivers he passed were easy passes, either because of tire problems of the cars in front or because they did a mistake. An exceptional drive would've been to end 4 or 5th without so many retirements IMO. He just did what he, in a Mclaren Mercedes, is supposed to do.
well when u come from the back of the grid a large % of positions u make up will be crashed cars
Quote from diablo21 :Well most of the drivers he passed were easy passes, either because of tire problems of the cars in front or because they did a mistake. An exceptional drive would've been to end 4 or 5th without so many retirements IMO. He just did what he, in a Mclaren Mercedes, is supposed to do.

1. What could Hamilton have DONE better?

2. If other cars had tyre problems then Hamilton/McLaren made the RIGHT call

3. If other drivers were making mistakes then the track was obviously tricky. HAmilton didn't make any.

4. Doesn't matter who built the car. if it's a dog its a dog. Schumacher should have won (properly) in 05 by your defiintiion

So again what could HE have done better to make his drive EXCEPTIONAL in your opinion as you failed to answer that VERY specific question
Quote from Intrepid :An exceptional drive to me is when you can ask the question

"Could Driver X have done anything better?"

and the answer is

"nope, not much"

If Hamilton's drive wasn't exceptional can someone PLEASE tell me what he could've done better to make it 'exceptional'
because I would love to know.

Ridiculous question. If the qualifying factor for "exceptional" is the inability to answer your question, then ANY good driver would be exceptional.

"Exceptional" is just that: exceptional. It's not "equal to others".

Truth is, Hamilton recovered 6 positions by his own merits (started P18, gained 8 places due to accidents or retirements, and 1 more place due to Trulli's penalty, resulting 6 places from overtaking and strategy). It's very good, but not exceptional. For example, Piquet Jnr recovered 5 places on his own merits in Japan 08; Alonso recovered 12 places on his own merits in Singapore 08, Rosberg recovered 7 at the same race, Glock recovered 5.

I don't time to research further, but I think every season has at least several drivers who manage to recover substantial number of grid places on their own merits. Last year's feat was Alonso's Singapore drive. Perhaps if no other driver does better this year, I'd put the "exceptional" label on Hamilton, but not yet.
tbh, Hamilton beat Trulli fair n square. Trulli overtook him under yellow...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG